Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/26 (Read 258 times)

Dave

Happy belated birthday, Vix.

Paul, hang in there with getting back after your trip.  Between the jet lag and everything else, it is probably to be expected.  You'll get back quickly.

After two tough days at work without runs, I forced myself out for a quick 3 miler tonight after work.  HR stayed low for the first time in a long time.  Usually a good sign.  It's still been pretty nice here weather wise, at least this week.  Still running in shorts with long sleeves up top.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I still say morning is the best time, Dave -- nothing gets in the way, except sleep.  Of course, I don't have kids at home so that may make it more difficult.

5.1 miles, 45:46, 9:00/mi, AHR 140 (71% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

Welcome to our first international member, CaraH!

I pissed CaraH off in one of the main forums so naturally I invited her into our group .  

You'll find a big range in both training and racing here but most of us have run a few marathons.  Some are about to run their first (theyapper66).  Some are fast (Evanflein, Jhallum, Amoresperros, willrunforbeer, now Kimmie since she's running Boston next year).  Some of us are not so fast.  Some run silly things like ultramarathons (rockenmammaof5, willamona, Pace2Race).

Basically you've got a little bit of everything here and many of us are former CR refugees.

Let me get this straight, Lou.  The husband of "Predawnrunner" thinks mornings are the best times to run .  I REALLY like sleep.  Hopefully today will let me get a few treadmill miles in at work.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Dave,

Most days this week I am up by 4:30, drive to town and running by 5:00 a.m. My husand asks me, "Really you're getting up now", "yes dear it's now or not today."

I have an 8K tonight. I really feel like I'm coming down with illness. No fever, at work, probably just run down, despite forcing an early bed time the last few days. Is it dumb to race, or should I see how the first mile goes, and ease into it. My gut is I'm not going to have a PR tonight.

Bugs

Welcome to our first international member, CaraH!

I pissed CaraH off in one of the main forums so naturally I invited her into our group

Thanks for the welcome... I guess you'll have to try harder with the insults next time Wink

Do you guys follow specific marathon plans or make them up? I used Pfitzinger for my first marathon last month (changed slightly as I didn't get on with race followed immediately by long run...) and am wondering whether to do the same for my next marathon or try something different...?

29/04/2012 Milton Keynes Marathon: 3:42:06

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

Hail to The Victors!

Do you guys follow specific marathon plans or make them up? I used Pfitzinger for my first marathon last month (changed slightly as I didn't get on with race followed immediately by long run...) and am wondering whether to do the same for my next marathon or try something different...?

Hi Cara!

I've generally taken established plans (Higdon Intermediate II, Pfitzinger's intermediate, etc) and mangle them to my liking, which usually involves more miles than recommended, and sometimes more longer speed work.

Beat the rain for 5 easy this morning.  Working off the tempo run I did yesterday.  Body didn't like the first speed work in 2 months AT ALL.

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey Cara!  Welcome to the group.

I'm using Hal Higdon's Intermediate 2 plan for my first marathon basically because the mileage was the closest to what I was already running.  Like Dave mentioned, I'm one of the slow ones here, but thankfully they don't pick on me much.

I did 4 miles of pace this morning (although I have no pace since I've never run a marathon) @ 8:43/mile.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

Like Dave mentioned, I'm one of the slow ones here, but thankfully they don't pick on me much

I did not call you slow.  I said you were running your first .

I'm a big believer in tempo efforts to get your body used to running at those faster paces.  It sort of bridges you into faster times.  Of course, too much of a good thing will get you injured.  Particularly this close to your goal race.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Hi Cara!   Welcome!

I think you'll find our group to be very friendly... I can't believe that Dave would piss someone off.  Smile

I am taking a mental layoff from running since my marathon on Sunday that was ROUGH!!!  I don't want to be burned out... but I don't know how much longer I can last.  I will probably run tomorrow.  My running group is having a costume run and I just have to participate!  Any ideas on what to wear?

Bugs, re: feeling sick and racing... I don't know... that's tough.  I hate to race when I don't feel good.  Do you think maybe you could run it easy?

Pam, what are you racing tomorrow?

Erika- hang in there with the treadmill... you are tough.

Paul- great run!

Re: training plans, like Jeremy... I take training plans and mix it up but unlike Jeremy, I usually take away mileage instead of adding it.

Vix-  I also agree with the others about the food... pasta is always necessary.

I just got back from parties in 1st grade and 3rd grade... whew!  Those kids can wear you out. Smile

evanflein

Welcome, CaraH! What race did you just run? What's next? I also take the Hidgon Intermed. II and mash it up to suit my needs. I've been using variations on that plan for a few years now and I guess what I have after all that is my own plan hanging on the Hidgon framework (the MLR on Wednesday & Saturday with long on Sunday works for me, I add tempo and lots of hills).

Kimmie... pasta is always necessary? Are you missing a word in there? (like a "not"?)

Will be heading to the gym at lunch today. Toying with the idea of a run, but would only be a couple miles and in the long run I don't think that'll get me anywhere (especially since it'll be on the 'mill), so should probably just stick to the XT plan and do elliptical, then some weights.

Dave

4.5 on the treadmill today in 40 minutes.     

Kim, you are too funny.  I figured you could at least make it one week .

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Kimmie... pasta is always necessary? Are you missing a word in there? (like a "not"?)

Yes, I meant to say " Not" always necessary.  Smile

Thanks Dave!!!  I'd like to think of myself as funny.  I just can't take the not running...

Ok, I may post this in the main forums, but I'll start here.... what are some ideas for an easy costume for my group's costumed run tomorrow?  I need to put it together quick, easy and hopefully without buying anything.

I have no idea how people run in the big costumes... so, I'm thinking... I love that I wait until the last minute, but I wasn't even going to participate until the President of the group asked me to coordinate.

Bugs

Kim,

Just saw you got another marathon in the books. Great job. I have to go back and read. I thought of you often but it has been one of those months. This week alone was book club party at my house, son's birthday, hosted the 3rd grade halloween party, 8K race, meet with cabinet builder, and get ready for halloween. Please be patient, I'll be a good teammate soon I hope.

Pam,

I'm feeling a little better tonight. Maybe just low on water, guess I know the first mile and decide from there.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Do you guys follow specific marathon plans or make them up? I used Pfitzinger

We make them up, but we made up most of the major ones. I don't think Pfitzinger posts much here any more though. Hal Higdon nuses a coded name to post here -- he scrambled the letters of his last name and dropped the vowels. (Actually he is the one who invited you here.)

So at this point I'm tentatively planning to try to do a tough (for me) workout tomorrow --Pam style I guess. Race a 10K in the morning, then try to hang with my DW for her 13.1mi tempo trial. Hopefully with a break between the former and the latter.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ringmaster

Thanks everyone for the input on dinner. I'm sneaking a quick reply now between the kids' birthday party for their friends and dinner with the in-laws . . .

Welcome, Cara! As you probably figured out by my questions and everyone's helpful input, I'm both one of the rookies and the plodder. I ran my first this March in 4:30 and hope to do better at my next in February. Unless I'm mistaken I've seen you around the HalfMarathon trainers' board too, right? I'm training for a half in a couple of weeks but stretching the long runs now so I can run my 20-milers with plenty of rest in between.

I think I ran my first on a modified Higdon--I meant to run speedwork but my legs couldn't handle the load once I started adding the mileage and I shelved it once I got to 50 mpw or so. I hope to be able to keep doing it all the way through this time around.

Kimmie, I am no help on the costume now; if I think of something I'll come back.

Bugs, hope you feel okay--let us know how that first mile treats ya.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile