Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/3/10 (Read 177 times)

Sounds like a good plan, Paul

For me, 5 miles @ 8:19 (42:26).  Cooler but humid conditions.  Legs still a bit sore from Sunday's half, but otherwise I felt fine.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Thanks guys.

Yeah, Erika I found my time. Wasnt in a hurry to post it. 2:45. I knew it was more than 2:30. Didnt pay any attention to the clock. The hills killed me.

I need to pretty well start over in my training if I plan on doing a fall marathon. So Im going to go back to a novice training plan and try to work similar training as I did for my first marathon--and sign up for the training series races in the same manner.

Dave

Thanks guys.

Yeah, Erika I found my time. Wasnt in a hurry to post it. 2:45. I knew it was more than 2:30. Didnt pay any attention to the clock. The hills killed me.

I need to pretty well start over in my training if I plan on doing a fall marathon. So Im going to go back to a novice training plan and try to work similar training as I did for my first marathon--and sign up for the training series races in the same manner.

I think I've given up on fulls until I can really train more. I'd love to think about a good fall race though. Work seems to be relaxing just a bit. Maybe it's not out of the question.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

I am kind of with you there Dave.

Its not time for me,  but being able to do the training without having to stop for 2 or more weeks due to injury.

Bugs

Sometimes I'm ready to stop the full marathon training too, or retire all together. I feel like I'm one of the lower ranked runners in this group, but locally here I don't see very many runners work this hard to get in training. Many female marathoners I know either work part time, or are teachers and train when they have the summer off.

What makes me second guess if it is worth it is the kids activities are taking so much of me and I don't want to miss out on them either. BOTH my boys are now big in Taekwondo and we spend 3 hours there many nights. I leave the house sometimes at 4:30 a.m. and am not home till 8:00 pm. My life is a constant mess. I ran 10 miles starting at 4:45 a.m., showered at work, didn't have underwear in the bag, trunk is filled with crap (2 TKD bags, my gym bag, my change clothes bag). I eat on the run, my house is a mess.

Today some punk hit my car, took off,  I had to chase him down, call police. Police say he probably won't be charged.  Missed my graston appointment. Just another day of feeling like I'm loosing my mind.

But hey 15 miles out of 50 is done.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

Yikes Bugs, that sounds crazy!  I'm fully impressed that you make time (and PR) with a schedule like that.  That's some serious organization right there, and I'm impressed.  I don't think I'd ever PR with that kind of schedule, that's for sure, let alone run as well or as much as you. 

Dave:  Dexter-Ann Arbor run,  Dexter-Ann Arbor run.  Come down and check it out!  Give you something to train for.

5 tempo today at or around 10M-half pace.  Probably still too fast, pretty flat out winded at the finished, don't want to think about how far above LT the heart rate was.  Oh well, some speed work is better than no speed work! 

evanflein

BOTH my boys are now big in Taekwondo and we spend 3 hours there many nights. I leave the house sometimes at 4:30 a.m. and am not home till 8:00 pm. My life is a constant mess. I ran 10 miles starting at 4:45 a.m., showered at work, didn't have underwear in the bag, trunk is filled with crap (2 TKD bags, my gym bag, my change clothes bag). I eat on the run, my house is a mess.

Today some punk hit my car, took off,  I had to chase him down, call police. Police say he probably won't be charged.  Missed my graston appointment. Just another day of feeling like I'm loosing my mind.

But hey 15 miles out of 50 is done.

I think Bugs needs a big ol hug. {{Bugs}} And a wife.

Seriously, get that DH and the kids to pitch in more. I'm really not qualified to talk, because I could've posted the above (except my car trunk is not filled with crap, thankuverymuch) and I'm terrible at delegating or asking for help. But when my kids were smaller, it was really hard to carve out time for myself. I did it though, at almost the risk to my marriage while DH was figuring out how to deal with it (and me). But we survived, so did the kids, and the health department didn't quarantine my house. Now I work my runs into my day at work when I can, or run right after work, but there's still the balance with soccer and other kids' activities, taking care of the house and life it's own self, and still having time for DH and me to feel like we're a married couple and not just roommates. It's not easy, but you've got to do it. And you're far too talented and dedicated a runner to give up on it now!!

There, that's my Bugs pep talk. Almost sounds believable.

And Murphy! You need a running partner. Something to keep you accountable to your plans. You've got such great potential, and then something comes along and derails your running. If you could make an appointment to do it and run with someone, I bet that would help, no? Would love to see you reach some of your goals you've had for awhile on these races. I know you can do it!!

Then there's Perry who more often than not needs an intervention.

Glad Amanda survived the sweat fest. I can't imagine running a marathon in 80 degree temps. The hottest I've done was Seattle rock-n-roll last year when it was over 70 at the end. Really saps your energy. Good job on finishing safely.

Geez. Am I on a mom soap box or what?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My car is a mess too. I dunno how you full time mothers manage to stay sane.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

heh my car's a mess too. I feel so fortunate (some days) that I'm a sahm though I really really wish (most days) that I had a job. Oh well such is my life with dh's schedule and the kids.

Turns out it was in the mid 90's at the NJ Marathon. Really explains why so many people dropped out and why I ended up with a sun burn despite slathering myself with Sunblock.

I've actually thought about giving up the marathons and just concentrating on Ultras go figure. 

Frankie's been home sick the past couple days so I have between the time dh gets home and around 8 oclock to get my running in. Got out early enough that I managed to get a half way decent 9 miler in. Can't wait till I'm more aclimatized to the heat!

MTA: Umm do you really think I"m sane Perry??? Please don't answer that k lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hawt and sexy

Mid 90's? For real? Wow. And I ran that whole damn thing? (negating a few water stops any ways.) Shit. I'm stoopid.

How should I train for Pocono? 'cuz I think I should train.

I'm touching your pants.

Bugs

I took the night off and got me  a nice glass of lemonade and vodka. Seriously good stuff. Smile

Do you guys keep random extra running crap in your car? I always have 1 pair of  runnig shoes, 1 swimsuit, 1 case of water, xtra batteries for my MP3, & body glide. The front is a random mess of bras, shorts and crap. (I also keep a spare pair clothes at work.)

Pam,

You're funny. How's the health issues? Feeling any better?

Erika,

First great job on the PR. I love how you get to know your competition, think we have more runners here so always against new people.

Doesn't sound like it gets easier sooner? Although I loved biking with my son and hoping when there is a time when he is old enough and I'm still young enough to do this stuff so we can really workout together.  {{sigh}} I feel we are just not at home as a family enough. DH & I disagree on Taekwondo. I'm just not sure we are doing our kids a favor by letting TKD raise them, and being at home so little. This is a year around sport, with no breaks, unless we decide to back off. Need more time just to 'chill' as a family at home. TKD actually gives me more time to run but laundry and all the stuff you got to do at home is a serious night-mare. (Can't tell you how many times i sniff clothes and decide they smell good enough.) Like today, I almost did not shower (for lack of time) after running 10 miles and needing to get to work. Sometimes I'm jealous of the woman that say, "nope not going to sign up for that kind of crazy life" and just run a few miles a week but fast.  {{But}} have all this talk has made me realize, without running, life would still be crazy, I'd just be two sizes heavier.

Bugs

Erika, I was kinda thinking the same thing. Just dont have any candidates for the job.

I looked back at my training log for my first Marathon after thinking I had to mirror that training. I only did 200 miles in the 18 weeks prior to that run. I only ran 200 miles total prior to my first marathon and I stagnated from there.

The realization came to me that I dont need to run 40 miles a week to put up a respectable marathon. I just need to run consistantly and get my long runs in. I averaged  like 12 miles a week and ran my first ever marathon. I ran my 2nd one 2 months later in a faster time.

I'd really like a true mentor from this group. Someone that will help with my training plans and will email me and that I can email off-site to help keep me on track.

My plan right now is to do both dayton in September and Columbus in October. Columbus would be my goal race.. the Air Force marathon would fall in schedule with a 20 mile training run--so it would be a training marathon. Did this before, and Dayton was my best effort until blisters and cramps did me in around mile 23. I ran a 2:10 half there. Or if all is going well, and I think I have a good race in me, I'd go all out in Dayton.

Bugs--hang in there sorry about your incident--cant believe that kid is going to get off.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You can always back off the TKD can't you? A friend of mine had both his sons go to Nationals in it a couple years ago, then they backed off. Then they started back into it a bit, and now the kids are in other sports instead. One is about to hit high school and is interested in running -- he ran a 6 minute mile in our club mile series off of no running, so I'm  excited to see how that works out.

A: Maybe you should buy faster shoes, And ones that go faster in the heat. Smile

I'm going to our second tri club OWS (open water swim) this afternoon,  so I'm hoping it's hot again. Friday was our first, and it was in the eighties, and the water wasn't really cold -- all that heat beating down on the top layer paid off I guess...

Oh yeah, I normally have a spare set of shoes, shorts,  and shirt in the trunk. Except this weekend I used them. And found out those shorts chafe. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do about those shorts -- maybe wash them in strong detergent to see if that softens them at all.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Wow, lots going on here.

{{{Bugs}}}

I wish I could commit to helping you out Murph, I really do, but I'm afraid given my work time commitment I'd let you down.

Hi, Amanda, Dave, Jeremy, Pam, Perry, Erika and others this feeble brain doesn't remember now.

3 miles recovery paced - so far so good

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Murphy,

I think a training partner would help you get your miles in. My girlfriend (DeeDra on facebook) is a life saver.

Lou,

Wow you ran that run at a faster pace than your race. Did you find a backup marathon? You could come meet me at Fargo.

Perry,

You doing  a TRI? I want to do some sort of event involving a bike but waiting till after this marathon. My speedstars will not melt at Grandmas. Smile Really I'm fine if that race is hot. I'm more worried about looking hawt. Smile I've ran it twice hot/black flags, I can do it a third time. In fact "Mr Sun bring it on" I want to race against the same conditions.

About the TKD, I think we should back off, no one else does. Hopefully in six months my younger son will be in the same classes as my older son. In the Marathon Woman book there is this point where she throws her shoes against the wall, I have those moments often.

Serious training question. In Rochester (80 miles away), one week after Fargo half, three weeks before Grandmas they have a 20 mile run as a part of their marathon that day. The race is cheap, $15, no t-shirt, no official time, you just get to run with other racers. My original goal for Fargo was an 8:00 pace, I don't think I can do it. I was running that good in November but lost it. If I felt really good at Fargo, great weather maybe I'd go for it, but if not I'd be okay with doing a progressive run. (So damn fun passing people at the end) Do you think the 20 would be good training or bad? Naturally it would be faster than if I ran it alone. Don't have to decide on, just on the tap.

Bugs