Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/24 - 3/30 (Read 236 times)

Bugs

Question for all: If your doctor presribed you a drug for a valid medical reasons, but non-life threatening reasons of course, perhaps dull frequent headaches, and you found the drug made you faster, would you take the drugs?

Bugs

HuskerB: Have you ever ran out at Bluff Creek? You'd think with some of the area lakes like tenkiller there would be something trail worthy.
      Never heard of Bluff Creek, might have to hop on Google and see what it's all about. Tenkiller is quite a ways away, but there are a bunch of good fishing lakes down there that probably have some great trails.
      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Question for all: If your doctor presribed you a drug for a valid medical reasons, but non-life threatening reasons of course, perhaps dull frequent headaches, and you found the drug made you faster, would you take the drugs?
        If I don't take the meds, will the illness run its course and be over, or am I going to be stuck with it?

Bugs

Inertia, stuck with it, but it will come and go. The meds won't get you to the olympics but it's a noticeable difference. BTW, it's not steroids or a drug that would not make you ineligiable to race if you were a professional athlete. It's just a drug, that you noticed fixed an owie and made you run faster. Maybe you were running faster because you didn't have a headache; nobody knows why. ---This isn't a hypothetical question, just don't want to get into details.

Bugs

I'd probably have to remove running from the equation. Would I take the drug if I wasn't a runner, so didn't know how it would affect my running?

Bugs

Brian, nope. headaches occurred before running.

Bugs

evanflein

Resisting urge to make snarky comment about Australian winter...
                I hear ya, friend! Those sound like IRC to me! Bugs... you're making my head hurt. Maybe enjoy the nice side effect, but don't get hooked on it. (drugs for a temporary problem? or one you need to work on for life? that would make a diff) 6.55 miles of hill stuff last night, 8:33 avg pace. Of course, average paces don't mean much on hills... Didn't go slower than 8:50, didn't go faster than 8:18 I guess is a better way to put it. Felt good though, except for that @#%$*% North wind. Sure could do without that. I wore my Spikey's on my shoes cuz I'm tired of slipping on the ice. That worked out well. DS1 turns 16 today! He's taking his drivers license exam after school... Surprised Not sure if I want him to pass or not... It would be nice, but if he doesn't pass it'll give him a good idea of what he needs to work on. He really hasn't practiced as much as he should have, and he really hasn't done much parallel parking... 10 miles on tap for tonight... gotta fit it in before birthday dinner somehow.

Oh Mighty Wing

Evan - is there alot of parallel parking in alaska? I have a friend from the country who could barely parallel park when she got to college. College was in a town and now she lives in Philadelphia - she learned real quick! I'd be more concerned about DS1 Merging!! either way YEAH AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Bugs - i would be more concerned about what is causing the headaches then how to medicate it. Regardless, don't let your competitive side talk you into taking a medicine that could be otherwise hard on the body (like your liver). I - you are right lost was no fun! 4 MILES TODAY!!! YEAH BABY!!!
                    Occasionally have to be on the look out for snakes but not so much of the kangaroos. Australian summers get pretty warm. I live in Melbourne which is the second biggest city here so naturally thats different to the desert/outback climate or even further north in our tropics zone which are hot all year around and only variation is a few weeks of wet season. Our normal summers day average around 30C/86F but regularly get up to 95-100F - just this time last week we were pushing 100 for 8 days straight. As for the head ache question bugs, i agree with what has been said; if you weren't running, had the headaches and this was the best way to treat the condition then do it, if its not the best way then use the best way. Hope that helps Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

Bugs

Erika, sorry for the headache. Headaches suck.. well if you can't tell your virtual internet friends who can you tell.... Shy OK THIS IS LONG, SKIP iF YOU WANT.. I had headace every evening for as long as I can remember. Would sit at supper rubbing my temples, feels like sinus pressure, but there's no sinusis there, One day my kids started to mimic me, that concerned me. In college I had a bad accident, concussion, hit my temple, lost my sight for a bit, always wondered if that was the cause. Had an MRI, nothing. Doc put me on SSRI, Lexapro. Headache is gone. I was always sick, even as a kid. Suddenly, I go a year without being sick. Why??? I dunno but not getting sick as much felt nice. But I hate the stigma with the drugs. I tell Doc, "Dictate this, I am God Dam Happy Enough". This fall I weaned mysellf off the drugs. The drugs are addictive, if that if you don't take them you plummet. But this was gradual and I felt good decide I'm done with doc. Everybody seems on these things, can't believe I'm in that group, you know. Ever since I'm sick, or something hurts. I can't explain this much pain. I have been sick for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, & Easter. LOL, Healthy for Martlin Luther King day. Look at the calendar and all the "+'s". Pathetic. Makes me mad at myself, I'm tough, put me at mile 20 in a marathon and I'll show you what I'm made of. I am also not recovering from workouts. Two easy days, and I still run slow, legs are heavy. I tried everything, fueling better before run after run, etc.. Took ice baths after 6 miles runs just to try and stay healthy. Vitamins after each run, etc.. Zen running, meditation before running, blah, blah... All seem good, but still somethings off.. If you read Duel In The Sun it talks how Alberto Saltzer and how he bagan to struggle with his running. 12 years of struggling. A doctor runner with similiar problems suggested prozac. Three days later he went from struggling to run a 5:20 mile to comfortably running a 5:00 min mile. A few days later, was able to run 6 miles at 4:42 pace. The book said, (and the book is old so could be who knows if it's right), in "healthy individuals it makes you slower." (Flip, I guess that makes me unhealthy.) It said the need for the drugs may be a psychiology change from overtraining. Anyway I've talked to two doctors, but have to talk to DocC3 yet... Guess I was hoping typing it out would make me not so pist about it all. I could wait longer but 2008 running season is here you know, would like to run and feel good again... Crazy, Bugs. Sad

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - it isn't crazy. My 1 thought as ready this was - are you eating enough? Not during your runs not right after your runs but all the time. I ask because I remember looking at your food log thinking that it resembled my lose weight for wedding food log. And when i was eating like that I couldn't recover, I felt like crap all the time, I was miserable, and running wasn't comfortable. DH came to me and said 1) you need more protein and 2) you need to eat more. I tried it and have felt great since. So I was wondering if you have tried eating more?? I feel like for how active you are you should definitely be in the 2000-2500 cal area, but your food log was putting you at 1500 most days. Could it be that this restrictive eating has taken a serious toll on your body? In regards to the medicine... most medicines work that way. By that I mean they typically only work if you have the problem. If not it typically does the reverse of what it is supposed to. For example, in teenagers giving them antidepressants if they are not truly depressed (meaning they are just hormonally down because teenagers do that and have not shown the signs of clinical depression - which takes 2 years to reach) it can make them depressed and in some cases suicidal. So, as you can imagine being on a drug when you do not need it could potentially be very dangerous. It is also taxing your liver for no reason. But, if you need the drug then you need the drug. Also, look into why you are taking the drug! Is it for depression or anxiety or is it because in your accident you possibly did enough damage the level of seratonin in your brain? (you don't need to answer these were for you to ask yourself) Because that makes your reason for taking it very different. My thought is that being healthy is much more important then the stigma associated with the drug. Especially considering no one needs to know about the drug. You can easily just call it a vitamin or birth control or something people don't flinch at hearing. You of course have to work out your own thoughts/feelings with being on the drug, but I certainly wouldn't not take it because of negative stigma if it meant I could function normally in the world. PS is it possible you are overtrained? OMG Bugs LOOK AT YOUR LOG!!! 24 miles, 40 miles, 18 miles, 21 miles, 38 miles.... look at some of those jumps!!!!! And it's not the only thing you are doing there is lots of cross training going on also... Look at February - calendar view to get a better idea - no freaking wonder you are sick. I seriously think you might have run yourself into the ground and that is why you are sick!! YOu went 3 weeks in February without a rest day, then 2, then 1 the last two weeks. And there are very few days where you only did one thing. Many days were were doubling or tripling up on the exercises!! Holy cow miss bugs maybe you need to think about all this exercise and how you are eating before you go back to the drug...

Happy Camper

Bugs: I think your best answers will come from the doctors. Being sick often and struggling with exercise is not a pleasant thing to deal with. I would wonder what normal after affects are from these drugs. With any dependency there will be some physical aspects and mental aspects of eliminating them from the body. Both decrease over time. You could also be dealing with the return of the reason why they were prescribed in the first place. It's hard at times to get explanations from doctors in the short time you see them. We often get additional information from the nurse and the pharmacist. Your well being is something you deserve and your family needs. Don't be down on yourself for getting help with it.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

PS is it possible you are overtrained? OMG Bugs LOOK AT YOUR LOG!!! 24 miles, 40 miles, 18 miles, 21 miles, 38 miles.... look at some of those jumps!!!!! And it's not the only thing you are doing there is lots of cross training going on also... Look at February - calendar view to get a better idea - no freaking wonder you are sick. I seriously think you might have run yourself into the ground and that is why you are sick!! YOu went 3 weeks in February without a rest day, then 2, then 1 the last two weeks. And there are very few days where you only did one thing. Many days were were doubling or tripling up on the exercises!! Holy cow miss bugs maybe you need to think about all this exercise and how you are eating before you go back to the drug...
                            Shan, I think eat fine overall. I eat less during the week and more on the weekend. I have kids and constantly nibbling on their crap that doesn't always get logged...although I tried to keep it accurate. I was logging to make sure I got enough protein. If I eat more I gain weight and not the good kind. I have a small build, and am sure I'm suppose to be on the low end of the weight charts. I weight 125 and doc says to keep weight above 112. I have not had a 40 mile week, but I want to BADLY. Smile I had a 34 and four weeks later up to 35. Really I don't see any big mile jumps. If you have a low week because your sick, you should be able to get back-up to where your miles use to be quicker than when the 10% rule doesn't always apply. Plus some of those runs had lots of walking breaks so I didn't fret over it. I had no problems running my miles, but the intensity is not there. I was pleased on Tues to run 6 miles at 9:00 min pace, but a year ago could run 26 miles at that pace..it was an easy pace then. Most days (now) I don't do double workouts, you can't count walking, feet exercises, or even yoga... But I logged for VRAA points and to help understand the injuries since doctor said to do yoga. All I can say is last year I could run at noon and do aerobics or lift weights in the evenings. I know I'm active, (but not active compared to my old self) and if it was just the injuries I could blame the activity, but I'm fairly certain it's going off the SSRIs. I do think I could have done a better job at cutting back more on cut-back weeks. When your only running 25 mpw and you want to be running 40 it sucks to cutback. Some people only need to cutback 10-15% and I think I perform better at the 25-30% level. BTW, I think most people should be able to some sort of physical activity everyday. If you have a sit-down job, 30 minutes on a bike, biking easy is nothing. P2R They will make it my decesion. I explained my theory to my graston doctor, someone who input I value. Struggling with running is getting depressing. That's part of the reason I feel guilty for wanting to go back on them. Like it's cheating.

Bugs

Bugs

Some advice...the positive thinking has helped the most. Visualing a good run before running. Visualing how strong your next mile will be when your running a current. Visualing how you're going to fly around the next corner, glide up the next hill, let that imaginary string pull you up. A marathon is a long time to keep the mind occupied, and I think it's important before any race, especially a long one to prepare what your mind is going to think about during that time. Wanted to mention this because we'e got some great racers coming up, P2R, Erica, and Brian!! Side Note: My DH is still running. I asked if he was faster than me yet, he said that he promises never to be. Smart man. Big grin

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Bugs - I was going through the thread and I got as far as "you'd be stuck with the headaches" and was ready to chime in with "I'd take the meds" What you're outlining is pretty complex and a highly personal issue. As a general concept, I would simply say that if something was wrong and meds fixed it and improved my overall quality of life, I would lean heavily in that direction. While doing so, I would spend a lot of effort trying to figure out the root causes of the headache. I'm not a headache sufferer, but from the very little I know about it (basically just anecdotal from a few sufferers I know) sometimes docs simply can't lock down the cause. After reading your detailed explanation, I get the impression that your biggest obstacle in this decision is the stigma involved and that can be a tough issue to deal with. Running sets us apart as strong. Marathon running sets us even further apart as endurance athletes. To feel lumped in with the sluggish and slow who can't even connect to their lives well enough to be happy can be a huge psychological blow. While this doesn't reflect the reality of what depression is, that is often how it's perceived. A few things to consider: Would it make a difference to you if you took the meds and nobody (even us) knew about it? Like others said, if you took running out of the equation, would that affect your decision? If you're taking it for headaches, does that actually lump you in with the folks taking it for depression? When you've talked with your docs, what has their input been?