Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/1/2010 and Happy Birthday, Kimmie!! (Read 215 times)

Cashmason

Pam,

You have permission not to run!  

Hard to believe,

but some stuff is more important than running. 

Like your kid's health.  

You and your husband are doing the right things.

Hugs.

Cash

I meant to say that, too -- Pam, it's ok.

Perry, I think you must have had a bad sprain.  Hopefully it doesn't take too long to recover.

Just 4 slow recovery miles this morning.  I am trying to be careful not to jump back into the grind in such a way as to get reinjured.  Plus I had to do some shoveling this morning and can't be late for work (and didn't want to miss any more sleep Smile )

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

hey there-  back to Va and 6 inches of snow with no school for the kiddos today...

that's kind of funny - just a little.... now, I'm kind of wishing i had gotten some more miles in while I was down there b.c I don't tend to run a lot on the snow.  We'll have to see how this week shapes up.

I will either need to get a sitter to go run or go to the gym and run on the treadmill....  my girls are 9 and 6- too young to leave at home, but the 9 year old thinks she's too old for a childcare center at the gym.

Happy Birthday Bryan!!   You guys running the relay again this year?   We are... don't know how it's going to work for me to run Boston and then a relay 4 days later.

Pam -  hope Katie is better soon!

Perry-  I forgot about your ankle!!  Sad   You haven't been complaining about it too much-  but yuck!

Lou- what's it like up by you?  I never know how to run in this stuff.... I'm thinking of buying some yaktraks... just not sure if it will be worth it.  I heard that they can cause shin splints.

THANKS GUYS!!! I kept the "stupidity" away until today lol.

Katie update. Since we don't have insurance our doctor feels our approach will work. RICE, ibuprofen 3 times a day and crutches. If it's not getting better by Friday xrays are in store. I feel MUCH now that she's been checked.

School was delayed for 2 hours today so my hill run with RP got postponed until Friday and I ended up doing 14. It was just too beautiful out there not to go out and enjoy it. Kept the pace nice and slow. Gotta be careful. Got 10 miles on Friday and 12 on Sunday. Gotta lower my daily mileage next week!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

Pam - you crack me up!  "Well, school got delayed so I ditched the hill and ran 14.  Ho hum..."  You crank those runs out like nobody's business and I love it!

Decided to try a little fast then slow running today, so I did 4 miles alternating fast then slow.  Nice change of pace (yes, that was intentional  ).

Sorry for missing your birthday yesterday, pace.  It was my sister's b-day, too, and we went out with them yesterday and I didn't check in here at all.  Hope it was a good one!

Okay, I have got to make up my mind about the National Half.  Should I or shouldn't I...hmmmmm.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Cashmason

3 Miles with Mutt Mutt today.  Teaching cycle in a couple of hours.

Pam,  nice and easy 7 miles per hour =  about my race pace.....   I have to hate you for the next 30 seconds.

( =  I am jealous).

Ok I like you again.

Cash

Lou- what's it like up by you?  I never know how to run in this stuff.... I'm thinking of buying some yaktraks... just not sure if it will be worth it.  I heard that they can cause shin splints.

Didn't need the yaktrax this morning.  It was thin slush on plowed roads.

Hope it doesn't freeze too bad by tomorrow morning though.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Speaking of National, anyone got any lunch location suggestions?

Kim took the helm on this last year, and it seemed like a nice place (just a bit tricky parking).

Last night I arrived at pool only to find it closed early. But tonight went a bit earlier so I could try for more distance. Didn't quite achieve my stretch goal, but had fun, and did some slightly fast parts every so often (cause I'm not so good at doing intervals in the pool). So I'm happy with it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

One of these days I will swim.

Nothing like a half marathon in the morning to get the old blood pumping: 13.1 miles, 1:55:09, 8:46/mi, AHR 158 (77% MHR) 5@9:05(148), 3@8:47(157), 5.13@8:27(168)

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice run, Lou.  Rest day for me before hopefully 10 tomorrow.  100% chance of rain is the forecast.  Yippie.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

VERY NICE RUN LOU!

Think I got a streak on the way.  New kitchen cabinets look pretty good, one cabinet was built wrong, will  have to live with that, darker than I expected and just feels nice but weird yet. Needs to get more done before I take pictures.

Bugs

Kimmie

Maybe Dave can chime in on locations to meet at for after the race.

I ran some serious hills this morning for 7 miles worth.... need to get those hills in... felt great to be out there in the sunshine.  

evanflein

Good job on the hill run, Kimmie! Be sure to work the downhill stuff in there, too.

I need to get some hills in, too. I've been avoiding them. I ran hills on Dec. 30 and really felt it in my ankle/tendon. So now I'm afraid of hills. And speed. *sigh* Better get over it, right?

Nice run, Lou. Can't imagine running a half marathon distance before work.

Glad to hear the doc doesn't think Katie's ankle is too serious. I bet it's just a strain or sprain and will recover with rest. You too, Perry. I suck at swimming, but want to get better. I just don't want to take the time to work on it.

We want kitchen pictures as soon as it's done, Bugs! I remember when we re-did our kitchen a few years ago, I had the microwave and toaster oven in the living room, dishwashing station in the bathtub. I actually did real cooking that way for a few meals, but yes it was nice to have the break from full meal prep for a bit.

I got in a nice treadmill fartlek run last night... 8.78 miles in 1:15 for 8:33 average. Started out nice and easy (8:50), bumped up to 7mph (8:34) when a faster song came on the iPod. Then threw in a handful of 1 minute at 8:13 and one minute of 8:34 for about a mile, then a mile at 8:34, then some .25 mile repeats at 8:13 with .2 mile recovery at 8:34... then another handful of the minute on/minute off stuff, then more .25 mile repeats, etc. Sure helps the time go by and I made sure to not go faster than 8:13 pace, even though I really wanted to try some sub-8's a few times.

Today is cold again... -25° this morning. Could get down to -35° tonight, then a little warmer for the weekend. I'll head to the gym for a 4 mile SEP run on the treadmill, shopping after work. We're out of milk. Again. I swear all those boys eat is cereal.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

An SEP run.

Standard Exemplary Practice run.

Suicidal Effort Pain run.

Sudden Exercise Prolonged run.

Super Extraordinary Practice run.

Am I getting warmer?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

that's funny... I was wondering what SEP stood for.