Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-2 (Read 324 times)

Sorry about the snow, Erika -- we're getting a lot of snow, too, tomorrow so skiing may be whiteout conditions, but Friday is sure to be great. Today was pretty good, although a bit icy on the "front side" the back was perfect.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Happy birthday Bugs! Interview went very well. A few hours later they called me for the next interview on Friday. The job looks faily horrific for not a ton of scratch. I can deal with putting out fires, catching spears and working under quotas and deadlines but two things: 1. You gotta man up and pay accordingly 2. I won't do it for a broken business model I'm still going to interview on Friday for the practice. Even though I interview and present well, I can use the expeirience since it's been so long since I've had to interview.
        Good news on the interview, MrI. I agree practice is good -- helps build confidence, too. What kind of business are you in?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

MrI, glad the interview went well for you even if the job doesn't sound that great. 10 1/2 this morning with Trent in downtown DC. After 3 days off, I needed the mileage. Legs were still a little weak from Sunday's long run. Taper starts next monday Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

That's awesome, Dave. Glad you feel good and ready to taper. You're going to do great at National. 55 minutes on the schedule today- ran 3 yesterday. This schedule calls for a few runs by time instead of distance, never done that before. Not that I have to follow a schedule, but it helps me to focus.... Saturday's high- 73- woo hoo!!! Shan, I saw on another thread that you're running Piney Point Marathon? I have some friends who have run that marathon and really like it. Have fun! Are you running it as a training run? Any specific pace in mind? Hope everyone has a good day today!

Oh Mighty Wing

Shan, I saw on another thread that you're running Piney Point Marathon? I have some friends who have run that marathon and really like it. Have fun! Are you running it as a training run? Any specific pace in mind?
              haha Kimmie you are soo cute!!! specific pace, training run!! LOL Honestly though, i'm just going to race - whatever that means for me. I'd love to be able to do 10-11's but I donno that it's really possible. We'll see. My goal is to finish before they close the course and have a great time!!! I just jumped into it sunday - decided it's time to stop talking about how I want to go and do and start going and doing.
              Kimmie

Well, I don't know how much you know about it, but I heard they have great food afterwards and that the course is very pretty.

Oh Mighty Wing

Well, I don't know how much you know about it, but I heard they have great food afterwards and that the course is very pretty.
                  that's all I know! LOL it looked pretty flat, I figured it was gorgeous and that was enough for me!! If you know any more I'd be happy to hear it!
                  Kimmie

Just got back from a 55 minute run. It's gorgeous outside. I am super tired this week- DH is out of town and for some reason, I'm sleeping lightly... like, what's that sound? Smile So, I almost bailed out and didn't run because of the lack of sleep but I'm so glad I went and ran anyway- it was supposed to be a tempo run and yet I couldn't get going that fast. I also did speed yesterday. so, I ran it easy with some pickups here and there. You'd think I would be tired enough to sleep like a rock. Smile Have a good one y'all.
                      Good news on the interview, MrI. I agree practice is good -- helps build confidence, too.
                      Ditto this!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Just got back from a 55 minute run. It's gorgeous outside. I am super tired this week- DH is out of town and for some reason, I'm sleeping lightly... like, what's that sound? Smile So, I almost bailed out and didn't run because of the lack of sleep but I'm so glad I went and ran anyway- it was supposed to be a tempo run and yet I couldn't get going that fast. I also did speed yesterday. so, I ran it easy with some pickups here and there. You'd think I would be tired enough to sleep like a rock. Smile Have a good one y'all.
                        Glad you got out for your run! I'm the same way when dh is gone. Can't sleep worth a damn. I'm still exhausted from not sleeping Tuesday night due to dh working until close to 4 am. Got in a little over 9 today. I had planned on 12-14 however what I had for lunch changed that. First time since cutting milk completely out that I had tummy issue's. Since I ate something I've never had before running i'm pretty sure that was it. Also my right ankle was sore. Between ice skating on Saturday (third time ever ice skating) and then rollar blading yesterday (first time in close to 9 years) my ankles have had quite the workouts. Oh and my butt is sore Confused Can't imagine it would be from the ice skating or roller blading and don't think it could be from the shoveling I did on Monday. At least it didn't bother me during my run.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Shan, you are so funny. Heaven forbid we talk training runs and pacing plans! Wink Sounds like a fun time, and good food after the race is definitely a plus. Pam, skating and roller blading can play havoc on ankles (and knees) so I'll bet that's the cause. Kimmie, maybe you'll sleep better tonight after that good run? Glad you went out and did it anyway. Sometimes sleep (or lack of) isn't so much the factor in any one run, but what you did the day (or days) before your run can be. Mr I... putting out fires and catching spears. Good description! Hope the interviews all go well, and if you're offered the job maybe you can negotiate the scratch. They're going this far, they must like what they see. Cash... Roll eyes Lou, hope you get your good skiing conditions on Friday. Add some good hills and we'd have great conditions for it! Unfortunately, it's making driving a bit of an issue and running just about impossible. And hey the snow itself isn't so bad, it's the cars blowing it all over you when they pass, and the snowmachines make a mess of it on the bike paths. If I were the only one out there running down the road, I wouldn't mind! Big grin Got in a really nice 10.5 mile run last night after work. I set my Garmin to only show distance so I'd know how far, but didn't want any reference to time, and just set out to run. Took it easy on the bad icy spots (road crossings), waited for a couple of cars but I did turn it off when I had to wait at a stop light for awhile, and when I walked up and over the cross-walks (x 3). Didn't even look at the time until after I got home and dinner was over and put away... 8:32 average pace, with miles 7, 8 and 9 at sub 8:20! Cool beans. Snow hit last night though, with 4" on the ground when I left the house and up to 6 more before day is done. Ugh. Anyone want some fresh snow?

Hail to The Victors!

Hi all, been a while since I've been around. I had some problems with a bug earlier this week, and I finally got out a bit today after too many days off. Hopefully everyone is doing awesome, I look forward to catching up (again). The missus and I will be in the DC area on the weekend of Mar 27-28th (I think we're in the Ashburn/Herndon/Reston part), hanging out with some of her friends, and going down to the Mall to see the Museum of American History. I can't guarantee anything at this point(its kind of a trip for my wife to see her friends, and I'm sort of tagging along), but if any of you DC folk are in that area, maybe there will be some time for a run?

Oh Mighty Wing

Shan, you are so funny. Heaven forbid we talk training runs and pacing plans! Wink Sounds like a fun time, and good food after the race is definitely a plus.
                              I would talk the talk if I any thoughts... but unfortunately at this point I still just go out and run and see where the chips fall... maybe one day i'll be more like a real runner with strategies... Smile Your run sounds nice!!! I like just going and not worrying!!
                              Cashmason

Shan, Keep doing what you are doing. That makes running fun. Running at certain paces, for x amount of time or distance, will make your racing faster, it also makes running more like work than fun. When you get to a point, where you want to achieve a certain time for a goal race, then its time to follow a schedule. Erika, I am the perfect running husband for you, I love to have fun and tease, I don't argue much, I dont eat much chocolate or drink much wine, so that leaves more for you. I live in a place where you dont have to ever shovel the driveway, you can run anytime day or night in one layer of clothing. I like to run, am cute and modest too, what more could you ask for?... wink. 4 miles last night after lifting, then a half hour in the fishbowl. Had planned to run 6 but running just seemed like a struggle last night. Dunno if it was running 10 miles the day before, or lifting before running, including leg work.