Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/12 (Read 221 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Darn, I thought I might be able to run the name by Crystal and get a recognition, but she's not heard of it. There is a play called Give & Take that a friend of ours put on at the local theater with kids this year, with stories from around the world - but not a musical.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cashmason

Lou,  sorry to hear about the leg.

It sucks when the right thing to do, is not what your heart wants to do.

Yes  Pam,  we care about what your bib number is.

We care about all of our Boston runners on Patriot's Day.

And keep talking about what you guys do for abs and calves as those are my current weak points.

Thinking  about  ellipticating some this week.     Yes I use made up words.

evanflein

Well, Lou, that really bites. Sorry. Will be glad to see you at the 20 miler stop though.

I think I brought enough stuff. I found DS2's old down jacket, filthy and full of holes so Goodwill really wouldn't want it anyway. But it fits me, it's warm and it rolls up pretty small so stuffed in my bag. I'm wearing yellow Maniac singlet and black running skirt. Have a black T to go under singlet if I think I need it. Did that at Victoria and almost overheated, but the windy spots by the water made it nice to have. Just forgot a hat. If it rains, I want a hat. But the problem with the hat is, once you wear it, you're committed to it. The old "hat hair" thing is bad on me. *sigh*

I'm tired. Sitting in the Anchorage airport waiting another couple of hours for my flight to Portland, then on to Boston but won't get there till almost 4 pm. 

I had a really good run today. Left work early, and headed out from home down the road for 5 miles and had DH pick me up on his way home. Worked out perfectly! Got 5 nice easy miles in. Easy effort because Gravity was my friend! Managed 8 minute miles the whole way without working hard at all. That was cool. Every now and then you just gotta strategically avoid the uphill run back home.

Bugs

Erika,

I struggle with the hat issue too.  The can get hot too. I refuse to wear the visors.

I ran with a running group last night that just got started. The person in charge wanted a 3 mile route, but not the route I laid out last time because it is boring and windy. We went that way because it was easy to explain. So I suggested a better residential route, and even led the way despite my legs being tired. There was only three other serious runners there. When the girl in charge got back (she was last to finish) I got a tiny lecture that it was "3.4 miles" and not "3'. (This makes me laugh. She probably doesn't like me because I can run with her husband and she can't.) The guy that started the club, made it clear the club is a business. How he plans to make money I'm not sure, will be interesting to see what happens there.

How often do you guys ice? I think I need to get regular about doing this. I've been icing my lower legs three x/day and my legs are grateful. Nothing was hurting, but I've had some minor swelling/fluid retention in the right ankle for a few weeks. The graston doc has been helping with that leg, but I just look at it is puffiness and pray, "please don't blow up on me" as I've only had some minor pain at the end of long runs.

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

Was going to run for 50 minutes this morning but didn't get out until it was hot, so I cut it short at 2.4 miles (not quite 25 minutes worth).  Figured it's better to be fresh for the long run tomorrow.

Bugs - I ice every now and then, mostly after runs of 14 miles and up (which doesn't happen a lot for me right now!). 

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Paul,

Smart call.

I think I might just run 20 miles instead of 19 Sunday assuming nothing gets cranky. Was trying to think of the last time I ran that far not counting marathons (Grandmas 2009, Fargo 2009, Twin Cities 2008)... thus it was back in fall of 2008, weird. I have not registered yet but will soon, it better not fill before. I have the hotel, the long runs, the outfit, the shoes, $85, just need a little courage to toe the line again.

Bugs

Kimmie

You can do it Bugs!

funny you asked about icing.  My massage therapist guy was telling me icing is only for highly inflamed or traumatic injuries... not just aches and pains.  He said the reason people think it works is the area is numbed and then blood quickly flushes back into the area and it feels better.  But, you're really not helping it much.  So, heating pad is better for aches.   I really didn't know this.. but I don't do either.

Getting all of my stuff ready... high maintenance, for sure.  Smile  I don't know how much I will post here while I"m gone.  My phone still not letting me give updates.  But I should be on FB a few times.

Looking forward to meeting some RAers!

Well Harriet and I ran with Erika on the Charles River this morning. I am making the right decision -- the 3 miles was about my limit.  Poor Erika had to run at a glacial 9:06 pace with us.  Smile

It was, let us say, chilly this morning -- about 40°, drizzly, and not a little windy.  We ran into the wind for the out and it was a bit raw -- but the back was nicer.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Looks like Boston is coming together - wish I was there!

Cutting the run short yesterday was def the right call.  I felt very good throughout my long 2 hour run today.  Now the yard work awaits...

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

The pace wasn't so bad this morning, I did zip off and do a couple of speedier bits. The wind and drizzle pretty much sucked though, but I was warm by the time I got back because of the tail wind. I really need a better jacket for wet weather, the one I have is like a plastic bag.

I just ice when I have a specific inflammed/sore spot. Nothing routine, other than if my foot is hot and swollen feeling at the end of the day (usually combined with a long run earlier), I'll rest it on an ice pack and that does help it feel better, and reduces swelling the next day. In the summer/fall I'll soak in my big 33 gallon  trash can filled with ice water after long hard runs. Definitely helps.

Visited the Expo today and bought some stuff, ate some samples, got tired of the crowds. Looked for Pam, but I think we were early for her shift. I'm going back tomorrow with a friend (my Boston roommate) and I'm sure it'll be even more crowded.

Cashmason

Bugs if nothing is really hurting,  and I am just looking to reduce general inflamation,  I just sit in a tub of cold water.

No ice,  just turn on the cold tap, and sit in it for 15 minutes.   Sometimes with epsom salt in the water.

But I am no expert.

Lou sorry to hear the leg still hurts.

On the bright side,  Erika should be good with a glacial training pace.  After all she is from Alaska.....  wink

What is a good rain jacket?   All the ones I have tried,  you still get wet,  they just help you retain a little body heat so you arent as cold,  and maybe they block some wind.

I have a 4 dollar disposable one they sold at an expo,  that you could just ditch if you wanted.

Is there something better?

How do you guys  NOT wear a hat?  If I don't ,  I get all sorts of stinging sweat in my eyes,  and 99 percent of my runs are on sunny days.    Sunglasses are not enough.

I so want a picture of  Erika after a bike ride with  " Helmet Hair".

Bugs

When I ran Twin Cities, in the coldest rain of my life and almost froze to death, a volunteer gave me a cheap rain jacket. (All the volunteers had them so they must had been cheap.) That thing worked great and I wanted to keep it but ditched about mile 19-20. That lady saved the day, would have loved to thank her afterward.

My ankle is slightly bigger below the ankle bone than the left leg. I only feel it a little at the end of runs I just wish it would stop haunting me. I'm afraid it is going to blow up any day.

I got all the bib #'s ready, but could not find Jeremy's?????

Bugs

Dave

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Thanks Dave!

20 miles, 9:01 pace, progressive run. Felt pretty good.

Bugs

Dave

Thanks Dave!

20 miles, 9:01 pace, progressive run. Felt pretty good.

Perry thought it was my Boston number.    I'm still laughing.

He's so funny.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com