Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/11/2010 (Read 261 times)

Kimmie

I don't feel like running today... nothing really wrong, just tired and sore.

So hard to know when you're supposed to suck it up and just go run easy or take a rest day.

Lou- hope it's nothing, but smart to rest.

Cash- why don't we all come stay in sunny CA. for awhile-  that way we don't have to be sick of winter and our butts will magically get smaller because we'll be in bathing suits.

Hi Amanda!

I am also sick of winter, and I'm not even in the north, really... kind of borderline here.    Happy to be going to Florida in a few weeks.

I feel bad for those of you who are working so much-   I have the other end of the spectrum.   My girls are now in school all day and I'd like to work more, but.....  I left personal training because it was slow, got my substitute teacher training to find out that their are budget cuts and no longer using subs (teachers have to dole out their kids to other classes if they're out sick)     

But, I am teaching piano to about 14 kids a week... which has been fun.

Ok, whining over....

It's going to be a high of 42 today... heat wave!!!  Smile

Pam, Karina, Perry, Paul, Dave,  pace, Bugs, Erika - hi!

Dave

Work is funny that way, Kimmie. Usually you either have too much or not enough.  You've at least got those skills to fall back on.  For me too much work doesn't correspond to any extra compensation either .

The lesson I learned (again) today is that stress usually translates into mistakes and carelessness for me.

Got to the airport and realized I'd forgotten my ID card at the office.  Went all the way through security.  Preoccupied and left my bag at the security checkpoint.  Realized I can't even use my laptop without it so I changed my flight, drove to the office, retrieved it, back at the airport now.  Everyone reacts differently I guess.

Hoping to get a nice long treadmill run in tonight at the hotel (didn't pack outside stuff).  Who knows?  Maybe a 10 miler?

DD11 had one of two lead parts in a musical at school last night.  I am SO proud.  She did amazing.  I'll post the short video to FB when I get home on Friday to torture those of you who are FB inclined.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hope whatever is going on with your foot Erika is gone soon! I'm glad you're able to get in so much cross training! My only options other options  is weights and the P90X workouts (dh got them for me for Christmas) at home. 

Sorry to hear about your leg Lou! Hope some rest cures it!

I felt like that yesterday Kimmie. I say look at your week so far and that will tell you if today should be an off day or not. I find that during the winter I have A LOT more "blah" days than anytime the rest of the year.

I like Kimmie's idea about coming to sunny CA to visit Cash!

Ughhhhh I don't even want to think about how I react come stress! Safe travels! Very cool about DD11 Dave! I'll look for the video tonight! Good luck on your run!

Thanks Karina!!! 

Well things are going! Still dealing with the burning in left foot but it usually doesn't happen until AFTER my run. Worked out last night and went up in weights. Can still feel that my neck and right shoulder aren't right and I still need to be careful. Katie is home sick today so no run today (probably better off). I'll be doing 60 minutes (hopefully) of one of the P90X workouts. I'm thinking maybe yoga today though not sure.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hail to The Victors!

Yeah, stress is the order of the week here too.  We're shorthanded here, have been since November, and it's starting to show, it's getting pretty crazy.  So far not impinging on the running time yet, but it might soon.  Hopefully can mitigate it with RAW if necessary, especially now that it's getting darker later again.  It just needs to get even warmer.  I want 40s!

evanflein

I want 40's too! Ah, wouldn't that be nice. I'll have to settle for the up to -20° morning temp we had today. Hey, after a week of seeing -30 or colder every morning, it's a nice change!

One solid hour on the elliptical last night after work, kept up a pretty hard effort throughout. I'm either going to come out of this is awesome shape or kill myself. Any bets?  Back to the gym today for more elliptical and/or rowing, maybe weights. We'll see. As you can see, I approach this sort of haphazardly some days.

Hey Amanda, give that man-slave a break every now and then!  Glad to hear you're busy and still running. That's a good combination.

Yeay for Pam feeling better! Hope your daughter is better soon, but an easy day when you're on recovery is a good thing (ha, listen to me, willya?).

{{Lou}} You can decide to back off and rest, or your body will make the decision for you. A lesson I'm still learning. Over. and Over. Again.

Cash, it's a fearsome thing when the "fat jeans" are a struggle...

Hawt and sexy

I have not run yet today. I have two hours to put in on the hamster wheel that I lovingly call Javier.  I also need to get some orange yarn for the next crochet project. Mean while I an copying music CDs to my computer so that my iPod can be fed. I should eat some time too. 

I'm touching your pants.

theyapper

On the road again...

Finished a busy day with a short, easy 3+ mile run.  Felt nice, just for the stress relief.  Spent most of the day strategizing about building plans and capital campaigns.  Geez, trying to raise funds in this economy is a bear!

Hope everyone gets to relax some this evening.  Good to see you, Amanda.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

decided to go to track with some members of my group and I"m so glad I did!  haven't run on the track since the summer... really nice to get that in... short but liked running a bit faster.

Now, to get this extra weight off of me.  Smile

Paul- good to see you back running some.

Hail to The Victors!

Did 14 this afternoon after a big meeting, and the 10 yesterday had a nice speed component, too.  I think I'm finally feeling back a little bit now...though the end of that 14 was pretty rough.  Had a hint of spring going out (birds chirping, sun shining), but on the back stretch it was cloudy, windy, and just generally nasty.  Blargh.

Hope you got your run in Dave!

Hope you get back on things soon Lou!

Hope you the foot thing gets worked out Bugs!

Bugs

Cash,

Us woman are more atune to our growing ass than the guys.

jhallum,

Nice run!!!! I feel like I don't talk to you enough..I think that is because you are pretty consistant with no issues. Keep up the great work. Think you will have a great Boston Marathon.

Rested for the second day. Quads felt better but my left arch of foot is sore, like a touch of PF. I blame the swimming, as they cramped afterwards. Damnit. Thinking about graston, but going to hold since I don't have a race right now.

Hung metals and pictures in my exercise room tonight. So exciting look at all of last years stuff. So excited to go get another year's worth of memories to hang up. 

Bugs

Cashmason

5k run right after teaching spin class.

No problems getting my ass into the spandex  tri shorts.   Stretchy material is good like that.

Ringmaster

So that's what I need--more stretchy clothes! Or, alternately, self-control. The stretchy clothes are easier to come by, though.

It's good to hear from you all. Willa, it's good to hear from you. Obviously you're running--your weekly totals are great. Thanks for stopping in to say hi.

Our winter snap is officially over. Highs in the 70s today, just in time for Kim to visit.

I like looking at my medals too, Bugs. I know some keep them stashed in a drawer or in a box in the garage, but seeing them is motivating for me. I should add a running picture, huh?

Registered for my series of races today. That moment always feels very sacred to me, when you're officially  and financially committed to the thing.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                          Mile by Mile

Bugs

Vix,

I buy a picture from all marathon and lots of races. I like to get pictures with my running friends so the room does not look I am worshipping myself, but it is this very cool room filled with great memories.

Busy day. Ran four miles, nothing HURT!!! Swimming at noon. Gotta cook food tonight for graston docs family as his wife has been in hospital. My friend is his neighbor and she is delivering it for me since I am not comfortable stopping at his house..nor do I want to see the inside of that beautiful home I have paid for Smile. Oh it is a little kissing up but I do this for everybody eventually and I love doing it because I don't have to.

Bugs

Kimmie

I had a great run today!!!

i guess I still don't understand what will be a good one and what won't....  Wed- yucky run  Thurs- good Fri- good

So, who knows?  We even ran hills and I felt strong... surprised but happy.  Still not breaking any speed records, but that's OK.

The HR monitor is helping because it's showing me things like, Wed.  my effort was too hard  and today I could push harder than I thought I could.   

And yay!  I get to meet Karina hopefully for a long run when I'm done there in 2 weeks.

Bugs-  that's awesome that you have pictures up-  8 marathons for me and I still have my medals in unusual places.  I just started making a scrapbook of running pictures and it's been fun.  I also worried that it would be a little self absorbed.... like" here is a picture of me running"    " here is another picture of me running"  Smile    But, it's mostly for me anyway.

evanflein

I only have pictures from 2008 Boston (official pictures) because I look awful in all the others. That was such a great race though, I got one of me with my friend Steve and one at the finish. They're stashed in the race folder. I keep folders of all my races, all the travel details, race info, bib if I kept it (some don't make it home), etc. All those folders are in a bankers' box that will end up on a shelf in the garage. I don't have a workout room, really, and all my medals are hanging on a hook on my bedroom door where my bathrobe hangs over them. Pretty casual. Our house is small and not much room for stuff, but I would like to get a hanger thing or rack that I could mount on the wall to display them a little better. My favorite medal is my Napa Marathon medal, it's beautiful! But stuck on the hook in a heap with all the others.

Test run day today... will keep it short and (hopefully) sweet. It'll be on my lunch hour, after all, and DH and I are going to a movie right after work so I don't want to get all sweaty and icky...