Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/11/2010 (Read 261 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Wow, Dave, were you flying home from DC or Hell?  Rough, especially when you probably can't wait to get home to the family.

5.25 miles for me today.  Nice to see the weekly mileage increasing, even if it is slowly.  And I'm pretty sure I can scrounge up some "death warmed over" pics from the marathon, too, though I may need a few more marathons to really build up a good portfolio. 

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

Sorry your flight was so rough, Dave.

re: death pictures... I think I would win... for sure.

Just came back from a super hilly 15 miler.  There is route that's about 15 minutes from my house that people in my running group have done.  They refer to it in a scary way.  I have now run that route and see why.    This may be nothing for some of you, but I was amazed at how hilly it was.... 1300 feet of elevation over the first 4-5 miles and then rolling hills non stop after that.   Whew!!   I went with a few others who are a bit slower than me, and that really saved me.   I need to make myself do that a few times at least before Boston.

Dave

Just came back from a super hilly 15 miler.  There is route that's about 15 minutes from my house that people in my running group have done.  They refer to it in a scary way.  I have now run that route and see why.    This may be nothing for some of you, but I was amazed at how hilly it was.... 1300 feet of elevation over the first 4-5 miles and then rolling hills non stop after that.   Whew!!   I went with a few others who are a bit slower than me, and that really saved me.   I need to make myself do that a few times at least before Boston.

1300 feet is nothing to sneeze at.  Sounds rough.  It will pay off in leg strength though.

4.6 for me on the treadmill.  Will probably run outside tomorrow.  Roads/paths seem to be clear and we're up in the balmy lower 30's.  Probably going to the car show in downtown Detroit tomorrow afternoon.  Should be fun.

Talk is cheap by the way.  I want to see those painful marathon moments.

This is small but one of my favorites.  Especially since Perry is just behind me and he looks so fresh.  Right after this I crumpled.

Also 3rd row down, #19. And second row down #16 (might be the worst and was after I crashed).

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

I'd rather run naked than post a pictures from my first marathon.

Kim - great job on the hills, that work will pay of for Boston. Glad you had a great run.

Dave - oh that sounds rough traveling.  I use to travel for my job and loved it, but I think airports were faster to get through then. But once I had to go buy a new suitcase in Paris because they ripped it to shreds. Another time I had flown for 15 hours and was stuck in Rome because I did not have the paper work to go to Belarus. Funny flying sucks, and what to they reward you with, frequent flyer miles so you get to do more of it.

Lou - stretching? I struggle with tight hip abductors and have to stretch them often. Doesn't help sitting at desk all day and most ab exercises also over work them.

Perry,

Thanks for posting that. I had forgot about the goggle out and in, I think I over rotate. I figure since this is my first time doing this event it will be a PR either way, as I can see myself doing it every year to get away from just running all year long, but not taking away from my summer running.

Cash - I just meant taking those breaths on a 50 yard swim is a bit like drinking water in a 5K race, you really don't need and would have been faster if I hadn't.  Part of me is not taking this event to seriously since running is my first goal. I like the technical challenge of swimming, and that it is not just working harder. My friends laugh at my ability to make even this very low key event hardcore. If I get water up my nose or water in my googles I keep going but I figure that stuff can happen race day so I practice the same way. You must have some pretty nice abs because man does this swimming work my core. I have to say when I am really working it in the pool, and I hit the end of a lap and flip around with all my might for another lap and streamline through that water there is this voice in my head that says "you are so flipping cool." Lots more fun than running in -20F.

My son is sick with bad cough and low fever. I feel warm, less energy but not sick, nervous because most of you know I get this bronchis crap most years in the spring, it is weird.  Might settle for a light run on the TM.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Given the results of the "I'm a google ho" thread (zoomy got immortalized running by a google car drive-by), you might want to reconsider your choice here Smile

Oh, and Kimmy, yeah, congrats on doing hills doing your long run. DW did her long run in hilly area today due to necessity, and I accompanied her, but we were mostly avoiding any serious hills for the first half, and for the second half we were absolutely avoiding hills -- we turned around partway down a couple cul-de-sacs because they went down too steeply and we didn't want to come back up them Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Lou - stretching? I struggle with tight hip abductors and have to stretch them often. Doesn't help sitting at desk all day and most ab exercises also over work them

Thanks.  Yeah, I stretch after almost every run.  This part of my thigh doesn't get stretched, though.  But I think I'm better.  We'll see tomorrow.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh, and yeah,  I too really do enjoy the feeling of swimming -- it has a lovely flow and feeling of speed,  with no pounding or feeling sweaty.     And I discovered last year that I'm betting off not flipping every turn if I've not been swim training,  b/c the flips can tire me then -- of course the smart thing would have been to actually train the swimming, but, I was busy running Smile

Cashmason

Bugs,  geez doing flip turns already....   I get water up my nose half the time I do those.

And if you are using your core,  you are doing it right.  Most people dont.   You have had good training.

No my abs are not that great,  not terrible,   but nowhere near  Pam quality.

G/f asked me to run to the store to pick up some okra.   So I did.   5 miles round trip  46 minutes.    Took  Mara Mutt Mutt to Dog Beach earlier for an hour

Bugs

What is a google car drive by?

I took tylenol and then ran. Not 100% but got a workout in. Convient to schedule some minor running injuries and illness the same week.

Bugs

evanflein

If I get water up my nose or water in my googles I keep going but I figure that stuff can happen race day so I practice the same way. 

Well, on the first thing, be careful what you ask for because it might come down to that.

On the second one, I agree. I hate it when I get water in my googles. 

Dave, you really don't look so bad in those pictures. There are some where it looks like you're hurting, but it's only made worse by the fact that Perry is there looking so chipper you want to smack him. Really.

Kimmie, that was an awesome run today. Those hills will definitely pay off at Boston. And yes, do that at least two more times. Four would be better.

Ok, I'm being good. I really am. I'm trying... I wanted to run so badly today... and I did a little bit, two laps around our 1/16th mile indoor track at the athletic club after my elliptical session, but my workout was 32 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of pool running. I'll run tomorrow... and just in time, it'll warm up to about -15 so that's nice, too!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

it'll warm up to about -15 so that's nice, too!

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

(I just like that line from Princess Bride, actually.)

MTA: re: google car driveby

I was attempting to refer to this: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/7ae00a305739412382044c6a0ef4cc40#focus

Well, since nobody else said it (or I just missed it), I sure hope we get pictures of *that* Smile

MTA: 

Seems like my lower adductor (or whatever it is) isn't quite ready for prime time.  It didn't hurt yesterday or this morning, and I had planned a long run today anyway, so I went out.  I felt it when I started running, no big deal.  But at about 1.2 miles I got a twinge.  I kept running to see if it would subside, but it didn't and I got another twinge at around 2.2.  I decided nothing could be gained by beating it up, and that I have time to recover any conditioning I will lose, so I turned back, finishing at around 3.2 miles.

A little disappointing, but I think I made the right decision.  I'll rest it through Wednesday, try to run Thursday / Friday (short recovery paced runs), then ski and hope for the best when I get back.  Hopefully the skiing won't aggravate it too much.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In my limited experience, you made the somewhat unusual decision. Seems to me the popular thing that runners do, is they just keep pushing, and wind up injured again...

theyapper

On the road again...

Good call, Lou.  Sorry you had to make it, though.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Erika,

Wow -15 is warm, you are so tough. Hang in there. Look how Paula Radcliff XTed her ass off for the Olympics. Ya she had a rougher marathon but you don't need to run a sub 3 at Boston either.

Lou,

RIGHT CALL. Even running easy seems to upset those hip muscles. I'm short with a short stride and my hip muscles have to work harder than most and get tight. I had a really bad spasm once that even with rest they did not go away. Finally I just stretched them the good old fashion runner's stretch them for a couple minutes every hour for about two days. That cured them, after a month of trying to figure it out. Seems they can handle being stretched cold, unlike say quads or calves that I would never ever try this with.

4.5 miles and I bailed. Legs were tired from last night's workout. The snow pist me off. I could have ran to 10 but would have taken three days to recover. I found a nice road that is pretty clear to run on but there are no streets. No way I can run this road tomorrow morning or night in the dark. I could run 14 miles on TM, just not sure this is great training for marathon. Ah flip.

I walked on the same path that is now snow covered where I was running fast on this fall. Before the snow I was unstoppable on that path. I was getting stronger, no running injuries, having fun. Would you guys think any less of me if I ran a kick ass 1:44 half marathon at Fargo, the Quad Cities Marathon Sept 26th, and than either Mankato half/full or a team blister marathon? I want to run a marathon so bad, but I want to knock it out of the park.

Bugs