Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/22/2010 (Read 150 times)

Bugs

Super Stinky Bugs

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

We're off to a local informal Thanksgiving morning group run. Possibly in the rain. Happy Turkeys to all!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

5 miles this morning, 5 gazillion calories this afternoon/evening.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

10mi this morning. No rain (yay). I guess that means I should aim for 10 gazillion calories this afternoon, according to Paul's scheme.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I definitely stunk after 9.2 miles @ 8:03/mile, on the shore of Lake Ontario this morning.  

We are up in Rochester, visiting with Harriet's sister's family.  We decided to make it easy on her, so everyone is coming to the house we rented and we're doing the cooking.  She (the sister) bought a nice turkey which I am responsible for, along with gravy responsibility, and bake and serve rolls.  Harriet is doing potatoes and cranberry and pear sauce, and the sister made the stuffing.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Perry - I'm sure you enjoyed every one of your 10 gazillion calories.  I know I enjoyed my 5 gazillion.

Hope your visit is nice, Lou.  SOunds like you guys had a nice feast.

Trying to type while my hands thaw out from my run this morning. Type a little, wrap my hands around my cup of joe.  A chilly 34F for my 12 miler.  This was my last double-digit run before Thunder Road, so I decided I would simulate the water stops to see how that effected my overall pace.  Very pleased with the run, ended up avg 9:20/mile even with 5 "water" stops.  Felt good at the end.

For the marathon my "target pace" (I'm using that loosely because I still don't have a feel for what I can do over 26.2 miles) is 9:44 which would get me in at 4:15, so it felt good to run well below that even with stopping to walk briefly.  Not sure if I'll walk every water stop in the race, but at least I know I can and not have it hurt my time.

More than likely we'll be turning our house into Christmas village today.  Always a lot of work, but a great feeling when it's done and you're sitting on the couch looking at it.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That was really nice of you, to rent a place and host.

It was below 30 this morning, which is the coldest we've seen, but we're only just going to run now, now that's up in the more acceptable 40s.

We ran 3.8.  Cold, windy, muddy and fun trails, some of which on the erie canal.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Went to track this morning. Asked a friend for suggestion for workout for 15K in two weeks; he has read a lot of Daniels book etc. He suggested 2x3200 at goal 15K pace, w 10min jog. I did it. Didn't quite make the paces, and my legs were toast before end of first 3200, and all through the recovery jog and the second 3200. Wow. Not used to my legs feeling so dead, not even in speed workouts. Nap may be arriving here shortly.

theyapper

On the road again...

That sounds tiring, Perry.  I may nap, too. Wink

Paul

evanflein

Hey. I've been absent for awhile. Lots going on this week with the freezing rain which closed schools, offices and basically just about shut the town down for almost three full days. Right before Thanksgiving. Then we got snow, which actually helped the driving situation. Now it's getting cold with -20 forecast for early this coming week.

I ran on the treadmill when the weather was wet, icy and dangerous. Took Thursday off as my rest day (had too much stuff to do to fit in a run), dinner at my brother's (I brought salad and potatoes), then brought DS1 home from the dorms for the night. Funny... he really didn't want to come home but I tempted him with laundry and pancakes on Friday morning. That worked. 

Friday I ran 5.6 miles of snowy hilly roads in my neighborhood that felt really good, but I got caught in the dark by surprise. So many treadmill runs lately, I forgot how early it gets dark! Then yesterday I ran 8.1 miles, basically the same route as Friday just more of it. Sunday dawns, and I had ideas of running 12-14 miles but my hip flexors and shins were sore. Hmmm, what caused that? Duh, all the hills and snow... even with screws in my shoes there's still a certain amount of slippage that occurs, and I realize now that I tense my hip flexors (basically a lot of core engagement too) to stay upright on the ice. Makes for sore muscles when you're not used to it. So today's run was 4.5 miles down the bikepath and back. That was bad enough because even though it was plowed last night, we still got a dusting of snow and the plows just scraped down to the ice. Pretty slick. I'm so ready to run on dry ground, you have no idea.

This coming week will be short easy stuff. Travel day on Wednesday, get into Indianapolis just before 10 a.m. on Thursday. Race Saturday, head back to Seattle on Sunday, meetings thru noon on Wednesday then home next Wednesday night. I might be scarce around here a bit....