Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/13 - 7 days of Boston Taper Madness (Read 344 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

or Friday... you know same thing - apparently! hahaha mta: i got a good deal on flights to Minneapolis! and me and some friends are gonna ride together to fargo
      10 easy miles this morning. Made sure I got some recovery miles in. By the 10th mile I was warmed up and ready to go and go and go. Unfortunatly the twins have a half day today so had to call it at 10. Now I must be immune to toe issue's (I have a toe if I'm not carefull will cut up the toe next to it) cause when I was stretching I noticed that my left shoe was bloody all in the front and left side. Guess that's my cue to cut toenails. Despite the crappy weather I'm thinking of going out for another run after dh gets home. We shall see if I'm still in the mood after having the twins home all afternoon.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Kimmie, I don't know how your relay is laid out, but the Ragnar Relay I did was sort of like 3 10k's run in a day (24 hours). We were on a team that was pushing for first place so there was pressure to run hard. As for your half, I think it depends on you yourself. What are your plans then the rest of the week? How well do you recover? I think if you run it smart, you could still 'race' the HM, recover with rest and recovery runs during the week, and be ready to go for your relay. No matter what you do, your last leg of the relay will be hard because you will be tired from the previous runs and lack of sleep. Sort of comes with the territory. But they sure are fun! (I guess that's my way of saying, do them both!) We got snow last night, not much but it'll make everything pretty sloppy. I think I'll run on the treadmill tonight and let the boys take the car to soccer practice.
        Kimmie

Thanks for the responses everyone... I know no one knows but me. i will let you know what I decide... it's one of those races that's hard to pass up. And many of the people on our relay team are running Boston, so talk about tired legs. 4 miles easy for me today.

Dave

6.2 miles of spectacularly stupid rain running for me today. When I'm cold and wet, I have very little patience for "easy running". It was a little drizzle when I started out. By the end of the first mile I was soaked and it was a steady downpour. So I start rationalizing. "I'm already drenched. Might as well run the full 6 miles...". At one point I saw a bunch of ducks drinking out of a rain puddle and actually thought of Pam wanting to drink out of the river yesterday. Too funny. 8.12 average pace the day after hard intervals. Stooopid. Clowning around

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

or Friday... you know same thing - apparently! hahaha mta: i got a good deal on flights to Minneapolis! and me and some friends are gonna ride together to fargo
              Thought you were going to spend the week with me. LOL.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wife and I met after work at a park to run intervals, but we both cut our interval goals short, due to rain & cold & wind. I'm plenty tired now anyway. Never mind about pace, I just want my race this weekend to be sunny or at least not raining Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Happy Camper

So sorry about the drizzle. Sucks. Seems like we had 2 weeks of it before it got out and wind and cold followed it in. Today was a real Vitamin D day. The next two days are supposed to be warmer still so hang on the good weather is on the way. I have too much going on this week. I was going to try for more volume miles but last night pretty muched ended the try to do it. I haven't run any doubles this week and don't think I will do a second run tonight. Kimmie: I would race them both. For me it would not be like I was planning on winning or anything. I think you could get the time you're after in the 1/2. For the relay, you will still be faster than the estimated group pace for your team. I will be pushing to keep the run average between my 10k and 10 mile pace. Hopefully it will be closer to 10k. I have a 5.9 mile leg with the other two runs being just over 8-miles so it would be a good goal. I also want to enjoy the experience and see things while my travel group is not running so I won't be sleeping. My team t-shirts came today. Smile Have an awesome time Boston runners!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Cashmason

Just an article on stress fractures -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- There is 1 new post in "The View from Sports Center" The Biggest Loser's Guide to Hip Fracture NBC's "The Biggest Loser" lost a contestant, Laura, 24 years old, to a stress fracture of the hip yesterday 4/14/09. I'm not a fan of the show partly because the premise is absurd (how much weight can you lose in a really short period of time) and I can't watch trainers yell at their clients, humiliate them and them put them through drills that even Lebron James would find tough. Apparently, Laura had been complaining of hip pain for some time so her trainer, Jillian, decides to take her in to a physician to be examined. An xray of the hip confirms that she has a stress fracture (a stress fracture is a tiny crack in the bone). Both the physician and Jillian repeat to Laura how unlucky she is to get a stress fracture as if there's something mysterious about what happened. "You've worked so hard and so long, and now this! I feel so bad for you!" There are a lot of reasons for a stress fracture but one thing's for sure. If you place too much force on your body without enough rest and sufficient nutrient supply, you set your self up for a stress fracture. Tiger Woods suffered from a stress fracture prior to the 2008 US Open. Stress fractures don't care if you're a professional athlete or a person who needs to lose 100 lbs. Too much stress is too much stress. There are three things about what happened on the Biggest Loser that are troubling: That a contestant was injured from a training routine that, from what I saw, was absurdly beyond her ability and the injury could have been prevented. That people watching the show think that a stress fracture is just an unlucky thing that just sort of happens from training. That Laura believed she should not or could not exercise and continue on the show because of the injury. I know, this is TV show, and such nonsense makes for good ratings. But, it doesn't make it right because someone, somewhere makes a ton of money off the stupidity of one person and the resulting misery of another. Ok, I'm done. DK

Bugs

Dave, Doesn't it always rain in D.C area? When I was there nothing but rain and humidity. Good thing you don't have to worry about a perm. Wink Pam, Nice run. Oh I miss 10 mile runs. Perry, Cool you run with your wife. Sorry about the bad weather. Cash, I have thought the same about the Biggest Looser. I read there are more injuries and doctoring than we see on TV. My TV is really fuzzy most of the time, so usually I just watch whatever comes in. We're not home enough to justify cable. Excited for Lou and Erika!!

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

Interesting article on TBL, Cash. Thanks. 6.67 miles today. It was a nice mid-week long run, but my knees got a bit sore and my HR was kinda squirrelly. I think 6 consecutive days of running is too much for me right now. Tomorrow will be a well-enjoyed rest day.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

6.5 miles on the treadmill wearing my Speedstars. I have no idea which shoes to wear at Boston. I've never had this problem before and it's very bothersome. Usually, I'm lucky to have one pair in good shape that feels good. Hmmm. I'll probably take them both and decide at the last minute. The second guessing out on the course will be a good distraction. I've found out that my iTunes library is corrupted. When my hard drive died, they were able to recover everything, but now some of the song cut off short. Some play almost to the end, but many cut to the next song after just a minute or two. Very annoying. At least it seems most of the bad songs are ones I loaded from CD's vs. downloaded from the iTunes store. So I guess I could re-load them if I still have them. But crap, who has time for that??
                            Harriet is also bringing two pairs of shoes, I think. Regarding hard drive crashes, we use a backup service called carbonite. It's $54/year per computer but the peace of mind is worth it. Let me know if you're interested and I can send you a referral -- or you can search for them on the internet (I would get free months for the referral though Smile ) Came home last night to a sick cat. Poor kitty. He seems better this morning, but just in case we'll take him to the vet before we get on the road. Short little recovery run this morning. 3.1 miles, 28:33, 9:09/mi, AHR 136 (70% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... Short little recovery run this morning. ...
                              Me too - 4.25mi recovery. And no rain, happily. And having good backups is a great idea--the struggles to recover loads of photos and whatnot when a disk crashes and there were no backups, is always sad.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dave

6.67 miles today. It was a nice mid-week long run, but my knees got a bit sore and my HR was kinda squirrelly. I think 6 consecutive days of running is too much for me right now. Tomorrow will be a well-enjoyed rest day.
                                Great job on the mid-week long run, Paul. I think those made the biggest difference in my training. Don't sweat the days off. My legs get tweaky with anything more than about 4 days consecutive. I'm pushing the limits of that now but am not sure it will end up helping. I was really tweaking after yesterdays run. Little bit of a limp walking out to my ride home. Elevated some last night (should've iced) and felt better this morning so I may go again just to keep the streak alive. Looks like beautiful weather today. Sorry to hear about your hard drive issues, Erika. I've got an external drive running Timemachine (one more thing to like about Apple) but I'm considering Carbonite for the off-site backup. Lou, send me a referral please (email in signature). If I sign up, I'll expect a beer next time we link up post-race Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com