Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/13 - 7 days of Boston Taper Madness (Read 344 times)

Bugs

OMG that reminds me. I think I took off close to 6 weeks COMPLETELY off after my first marathon. Can't remember where I read taking a certain amount of days off for each mile raced. NEVER again!
    Completely OFF? You just need to run easy, maybe mix in some XTing. You should even be able run doubles. I like to decide on the day off when to take off. Recovery is tricky business. The bad 'really' part about doing so many marathons is that once you're signed up you feel like you have to run them, and it's hard to just let it go.

Bugs

Frankie had his 2nd soccer game of the season and they won again. Pretty good considering their practice's keep getting rained out. Can't wait for Katie's softball to start (well I can in some ways) got in a 13.5 miles yesterday in 2 runs. Didn't realize how warm it was outside and within a couple miles decided to head back home to get something to drink,use the restroom and change into sports bra. Looking to get something between 6-9 sometime this evening.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Shan, When I hurt my feet two years ago I ran a lot of miles fast, and one was 5K trail race. I blamed the trail race too. Looking back, I just couldn't get myself to confront that it was an overuse injury. I ran too many miles fast and when the first sign of something hurt I didn't move to the bike like i should have. You seem to hang out with lots of marathon maniacs, hopefully they can give you some good advice.

Bugs

Completely OFF? You just need to run easy, maybe mix in some XTing. You should even be able run doubles. I like to decide on the day off when to take off. Recovery is tricky business. The bad 'really' part about doing so many marathons is that once you're signed up you feel like you have to run them, and it's hard to just let it go.
          Ya completely off, I laugh at how little I knew back then (not that I know tons now) Like you I like to decide on which days I take off. The first year I did multiple marathons close together I didn't sign for my 2nd one until after doing my first one and I didn't sign up for my third one until after done with my second one. I think I got really lucky that I signed up for it when I did cause I think that was the first year (I may be mistaken) that Philly sold out and if I remember correctly it was within a week or so from when I signed up. I can't afford to "waste" money and I can't afford to be injured by racing while injured.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I blamed the treadmill (really changed my stride ) last year (on my stress fracture (that I didn't know it was that until after it was healed) that I pretty much ran through) though I think it was because I ramped my milage up too fast. That I blame VRAA 6? I think. I was a Titanium Badass lol. But hey my team won and I think I was either 2nd or 3rd top person Cool

Kimmie

Just got back from 7.5 miles. I took my daughter to run the fun run portion of that half marathon that I was considering... that I've run in the past. She was so cute. A little nervous at the start and then went out too fast. I ran alongside of her and got her to keep going when she started walking. It was a short course- only .5 miles- but almost the whole thing uphill- not too easy. And I really need to run with her more. But the whole thing was great. Smile
                How cool that you did that Kimmie!! How old is dd? I signed both twins up for the kids run that is the day before my half marathon and they will run the kids fun run series this summer. Hopefully that will add more spark to them wanting to run!

theyapper

On the road again...

Fantastic mileage, Paul. Might want to hold there or even back off for a couple of weeks for your body to adjust.
                  Already planned on that, but thanks for making sure to remind me. I think the plan for next week will be to just run by time and only get 6 hours on the feet. With the slower LHR pace I'm running, that should put me around 25 miles. Pace - 10k miles is unbelievable. Great job.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

How cool that you did that Kimmie!! How old is dd? I signed both twins up for the kids run that is the day before my half marathon and they will run the kids fun run series this summer. Hopefully that will add more spark to them wanting to run!
                    She's 8... my younger daughter is 5. I really want to find a way to run with both of them. The challenge is running with both of them at the same time- different paces and abilities. But I will find a way. My 8 yo really could run a 5K. We just have to work on it a little. I love the looks on their faces when they cross the finish. She got a medal and T-shirt. How old are your twins again? I love that they have a kids fun run series.
                      I understand the challenge. Though the twins are both 7 (they will be 8 in July) they are at different levels and interest. I'm still racking my brain in how to run with both of them as well as our dog Kallie (once she's well enough to). Very cool that your 8 year old is able to run a 5k!! I think our children are very lucky that we are runners!

Dave

11 miles for me this afternoon. Felt lousy the whole way but stayed inside of my HR limits. Strange run. Felt very leg weary but my HR wasn't elevated. Glad I pushed through. Paul, I'm quick to dispense advice and not too good at following it. Tongue Final good wishes for Erika, Lou, and Harriet (Lou's lovely wife) in their Boston race tomorrow. Great pics on FB, Lou! MTA: Great job on the 80+ this week, Jeremy. I know that's an all-time high for you.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Man, Im restless. Ready to go next week, for sure though. Think I did the right thing to shut down until Im 100%. Low expectations for the marathon though. I will work at being more consistant for the next one over longer period. Im gonna just go out and plan on having fun, and see what happens. DWs ultrasound is tomorrow!! Excited to find out what we're having!

Bugs

Man it is hard though when you have to worry about finding time for your kids training and your own. My 8 year old is just getting to the point where he can bike while I run. The three of us will go on a one mile run some evenings, a recovery run for me. First one back gets the biggest ice cream cone; I loose every time. Murphy, hang in there. You have bigger (or very small) more important things to focus on than running. So glad spring is here. Ran on soft gravel recently rained on, a lovely day.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

11 miles for me this afternoon. Felt lousy the whole way but stayed inside of my HR limits. Strange run. Felt very leg weary but my HR wasn't elevated. Glad I pushed through. Paul, I'm quick to dispense advice and not too good at following it. Tongue Final good wishes for Erika, Lou, and Harriet (Lou's lovely wife) in their Boston race tomorrow. Great pics on FB, Lou! MTA: Great job on the 80+ this week, Jeremy. I know that's an all-time high for you.
                              Thanks, Dave. It's a great week. I'm running with confidence right now. At least I hope it's confidence, and not hollow confidence. We'll find out Sunday at Glass City. 1:28 or bust! 22 yesterday, felt pretty rough for the last 5-6 or so, but pulled through it. 5 easy today. Just....easy. Lots of tired legs from the 22. Probably taking tomorrow off. I figure I'm not going to get anything done anyway from about 10 til about 1, so I might as well spend the vacation day. Inlaws are in town, too. But I have to get it approved since its last minute...so I might be at work anyway.

Dave

We'll find out Sunday at Glass City. 1:28 or bust!
                                Speaking of which, I'm going to be driving up Michigan next week for a bit more househunting. Will be driving home on Sunday through Toledo. Makes me wonder if I might not get a HM in on the way home but I'd need to get to the expo before it closed (have to be out of Detroit by around 4PM by my guess). Hmm....

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com