Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/27 (Read 336 times)

Dave

Did that and then some. Though I did manage 9 miles somehow. Now sure how that happened, but it felt good. Almost too good. Maybe I should have run harder yesterday. Shocked
    I didn't run today (93F in the mid afternoon). But I felt really good for the day after a marathon. Not sure whether the heat played a factor or not in how I felt afterwards. I can say though that even though my HR was down, I just didn't feel like I could run any harder during the race and it probably meant I didn't get as beat up.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I felt some fatigue this morning, probably from the heat this weekend. So I was going to have a short day, but my wife wanted to go 6-9 -- and it is nice to run together. She delayed the run from 3:30 until 4:30, in hopes of getting cooler weather. Ha. No luck with that, still between 90 and 95. She did get tired enough to stop at about 6.5M (for her) -- (she's more stubborn than me about not stopping early, I think). But we did run on a boardwalk by the water's edge for some of it, and that gives a nice cool breeze off the water -- and just seeing the water kind of makes me feel nice and cool. I hadn't really wanted to run as many miles as I did last week - it happened mostly because I like to take advantage of any opportunity to run with other people. Gold star for sociability, points off for lack of self-discipline. Smile I'm doing Frederick 5K & marathon next weekend, so it would be nice if I can get my dunderheaded self to cut back somewhat. But I'm not racing the mara for time, so I'm not stressing about it. Nice race reports this week, and hope the injuries all get better.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

good for you on running with your wife, Perry... what a good husband/ Ran 3 easy miles around the lake today- I love this lake of mine... beautiful sunset and my legs feel fine. I wonder if that means I didn't run hard enough at the relay. Excited for the Pig and Frederick... I will miss being at the Frederick Marathon. I just can't race every weekend, but if I could, I would...

Bugs

Jeremy, Wow...you really are in great shape. 9 mile recovery run..nice. Dave, I love it that you placed. That would be so very cool to say you placed at a marathon. Don't think I've broke 1200th place in a marathon. Perry, Wow, the 5K and marathon, in the same weekend? My schedule has a 1km tempo the day before a marathon. 5K is quite a bit more, but I've had some great long runs when a 5K is the day before. Good luck. Kim, You're running the pig marathon? Seems I use to be able to put running first, but now life is changing or I am..Even small races have become a PiTA. I have that 5K Saturday, and got a sitter since DH has to work. I am making DS2 skip a Taekwondo championship in the cities, which I didn't think was a big deal at the time because the kids just get handed a trophy we pay big bucks for. Tonight I get home, and DH says DS2 can't test because he didn't get enough championships in; He didn't sign him up at the last chance, because MOM is running a RACE. Mother's guilt stinks.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...Wow, the 5K and marathon, in the same weekend? ...
            Well, shhh, but <secret>the mara goal isn't time at all, but distance -- want to see how far I can run after it, if I take it slow both during and after</secret>. The whole parenting and running combo sounds almost as tough as the working & schooling combo - I realize there are people with enough diligence to do that, and I admire them, but I am glad it's not lazy old me trying to juggle all that stuff. PS: Thanks Dave for a fun week summary.

Oh Mighty Wing

4 yesterday - worked out well. Dropped the car off for an oil change, ran to the running store to buy gu's for this weekend, ran back to the garage. It was still hot but since I was running in town and it was 630ish there was a good bit of shade. It felt really good. Foot wasn't too much of a bother - felt like i was running on a bruise (imagine that!). Everything else felt sooo good running though!!! Off to put some morning miles in... **happy sigh**

Bugs

Perry,When is your goal marathon? Are you going to try and keep the entire distance easy? I ask because I am running two marathons five weeks apart, with first as training and there is much discussion on how to run the first one. I am not suppose to taper for it, but my body needed a little extra rest last week.
                The whole parenting and running combo sounds almost as tough as the working & schooling combo -
                I admire those working and going to school too. I would do it, if it would pay more but it wouldn't. And I like school..but there again do I spend the money on myself or pay for the kiddos to go to college. So, Perrry you don't have kids? Kim, Smart to ease back into it. I broke my recover run rules two weeks ago and paid for it all last week. The guidelines are no recovery run over an hour. Somedays you need to stop at 20 minutes, maybe 40, but anything over an hour is getting into a hard workout, regardless of pace. However i am allowed doubles. So my 1:20 run the day after my 3hr run...bad bugs..very bad. I felt like a teenager explaining myself to parent, "it seemed okay at the time."n Black eye Shan, Glad you're running again. Did it hurt a ton in the marathon? What are you running this weekend? My achilles feels so wonderful right now I don't even think I would need to go to doc, but can't cancel after begging to get in. Wish my kitchen utensil treatment could cure metatarsals and cranky knees.

Bugs

Good morning, everyone. Hey, murphy! GL on your marathon this weekend. Perry, sure wish I was in town for the Frederick running fest. It'd be fun to see you again. A little bit of a fast recovery run, or maybe a little slow "general aerobic": 6.1 miles, 52:47, 8:38/mi, AHR 143 (73% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Hey Bugs- no, I'm not running the Pig Marathon- I'm excited for Murphy who is running it... It's on my to do list... sounds fun. And I wish I were going to be at Frederick this weekend. It was so tempting, but I just can't squeeze it in- same as you, bugs, I have to balance kids and husband, etc... the relay makes me feel like I got some good racing in, and I want to race again at the end May-- big goal 10K race. Your training has been amazing... did I tell you that Nobby emailed me with info about a running seminar I'm planning? I can see that he's a wealth of wisdom and I can't wait to see how all of that is going to play out with your marathon. Perry- I think that you've run Frederick before, so you may know this already, but just make sure you get there SUPER early- there is no easy way to get into the stadium once traffic starts backing up. People always arrive late and frazzled at that race. And it starts early already.... I'm guessing you guys are not driving up the morning of... if you have time to meet up Saturday or sunday, let me know.
                      good morning everyone Smile Didn't do run #2 yesterday because well I just didn't want too lol. With dh working extra hard and not getting any runs in I just felt that instead of going out for a second run I stay home. Not fare to leave him with getting the kids ready for bed etc. Running 12 mid day today at the parkway. It's going to be HOT but such is life. Busy night tonight. Katie has softball practice, Frankie has Soccer practice and Katie has Pictures for soccer. I think were eating out afterwards since we won't be done until after 7 . Go figure it's supposed to be in the 90's Confused

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Bugs: My only goal mara this year so far was LPRM, which went well (7min PR). I did National 2 weeks later on lark and had a lot of fun, and intend on doing 3 more, but none for goal times. This coming week Frederick (goal = distance), in the fall Baltimore (accompany wife on her first mara), and then around Thanksgiving Rehoboth (accompany both wife & sister who are relaying it). Kim: Wife can't make it, and I'm going up Sat -- have to do pickup on Sat, plus I signed up for their 5K that evening Smile But I don't think you live in Frederick.... MTA: Woke up by birds this morning, went running at about 0645 -- very nice, very cool, very pretty....

Kimmie

Perry, I replied to you on FB. I live really CLOSE to Frederick... so you know, I'm tempted......Smile And on last week's thread... I saw you were writing about pool running... I want to try that too. there's a new gym in our area that has a pool and I heard they're looking for trainers. i may have to get a job there just so I can use their pool for free. I'm avoiding my to-do list by staying on the computer. Smile Maybe I'll write my relay race report next.

Happy Camper

MTA: Woke up by birds this morning, went running at about 0645 -- very nice, very cool, very pretty....
                            Ha! Ha! Ha! I have meadowlarks nesting outside my house. They start screaming for hookups about 3:00am every morning. Tough to sleep with the windows up. So far, putting the cat out for the night has not helped. Nice 6-miler this morning. Question for the group on downhill running: While at the relays my first run was 1.5 mile climb followed by 3.5 mile steep downhill. I was all focused on pushoff after foot landing and pleased with my way below 7 minute mile pace when I got passed and ran away from by a runner who looked to be in a similar situation to me age wise. I had to ask after the leg what he was doing. He told me he focused on lifting up the heel after foot landing as quick as possible. Result was faster foot turnover, straight form, less wear on the quads. Said you don't get ahead of your self and start putting on the brakes. I played with it this morning since I'm not as sore and it seems to work. What do you think about it and is this what you all have been doing all along?

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

theyapper

On the road again...

I may have been out the door with Lou today! Got on the road at 5:45 and put in an easy 4.6 miles.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - it didn't hurt at all in the marathon. My legs were tight from not running which was problematic. Monday morning it hurt but I think that was mostly from sitting in the same position for 13 hours driving home without cruise control. By mid-morning it didn't hurt anymore. This morning it was tight but not sore. it's still a little swollen but not bad. Really I don't even notice it much but am still elevating and icing. Pace - for down hills I was told to focus on shorter strides with fast turnover.