Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/29 (Read 309 times)

Weight training?  None for me, thanks Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Well, I have to do weight training for my job.  But I don't always do enough.

I am helping with a Girl Scout camp this week and I'm in charge to playing Quidditch with the kids-  theme is Harry Potter.  I have to carry these 5 gallon buckets across this big field and they're full of water and man, are they heavy.  And all I keep thinking is, I lift weights, I should be able to do this.

Keep up the good work, Bugs.  Pull-ups and push-ups will get easier the more you do them.

Right now, I could probably do 3 pull-ups, maybe and maybe 20 pushups.  So, I need to work on them more.

I ran last night with the group at a pretty decent clip.  8 minute pace for almost 6 miles.  Kinda wish I had felt like that for the race on Saturday night.  But the weather makes a big difference.  Last Saturday was blazing hot and the past two days have had low humidity.

Have  a good day all!   Today may end up being a rest day... busy all day, we'll see.

That is pretty fast, Kim.  Also 5 gallons is like 40 lbs. of water, and since it's in a bucket you have to hold it away from your body.  Pretty difficult lifting I'd say.  When I brew I regularly move 4 gallons of liquid, and sometims some other stuff, and I agree it's pretty heavy.

5.1 miles, 46:26, 9:11/mi, AHR 146 (75% MHR)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Erika - DH had knee surgery? Hope that went well.

Bugs - sounds like you're struggling right now. Hang in there. I wish I had a better prescription than that.

Lou's going to India!? That sounds super cool. What's the story behind that?

Training's going pretty well for me right now. I'm getting ready for the Akron half marathon in late September. Other life stuff has been, well, pretty difficult. My mom's health is poor. She's a diabetic and on dialysis so lots of health problems stemming from that. She's basiically lost her sight and is legally blind which has been dificult. Also been struggling with some marital things which have been improving, but are taking a lot of focus and energy.

theyapper

On the road again...

Got in a nice 3.5 miles this morning.  I am learning that I really like having a training plan.  It's nice to not have to decide what time or distance to run - just look at the program and go do it.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Lou's going to India!? That sounds super cool. What's the story behind that?

Lou may be going to India, too, but I'm going in October on a medical mission trip. Can't wait, although it is at a critical time in my marathon prep. It'll all work out, though

Paul

evanflein

Paul, DH had his surgery on Monday, and he's recovering pretty well. Damage to his knee was more severe than expected, but got it cleaned up as well as they could and he should be good for another few years. Lots more arthritis in there and bone spurs, but the ACL looks good (the bone spurs were almost wearing on it) and he should be off crutches in a few days. It'll be a long recovery though, lots of PT and he'll get a brace to force his weight more to the outside of his knee... the inside part is pretty worn.

When I had horses, I used to haul 6 gallon buckets of water (2 at a time) all the time. And haul hay, and clean the corral... sort of a natural daily weight training thing. I can sure tell I don't do that anymore... I'm like Perry, always thinking it's a good idea but then lose the motivation before I do it.

I'm amazed at how good my foot feels now. At the end of the marathon, it felt like I had red hot coals in my shoe where that blister was. I would've paid a lot of money for a bucket of ice water at mile 23... It was tender (more like a stinging pain with pressure) the rest of the afternoon/evening. But Sunday morning... nothing. It was fine. And the blister is still there, I just can't feel it. Isn't that weird? How can something be that severe and then just a few hours later--really--it's fine? It's the strangest thing.

I got in 3.5 hilly miles last night after work and I'll run 5 or so today at lunch. Just easy stuff. This weekend should be perfect weather here so I hope to get some good running in as well as take care of my garden!

I don't have my race report up yet, but there's some pictures and tidbits about the weekend from those of us who shared the house on Lake Washington in this thread on the master's forum: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/ad7bec6e365d430492a10d10997f5eb4

Bugs

Bugs - sounds like you're struggling right now. Hang in there. I wish I had a better prescription than that. 

I'm okay other than I have no upper body strength and hate it right now. Me and my big mouth telling DH that we should do this P90X program together, now he's all into it so I have to stick with it or eat my words. I did the plyometrics workout last night which was a tough workout for the legs that I enjoyed and no injury issues which hasn't happened in a long time. I would rather 'just run' but this XTing is good for me. I would like to add some other sexy muscles to the collection. Smile

I had a graston visit and he worked out the adhesion in my hamstring. My injuries are doing better. Should not have any issues to do Ragnar in August. I miss running fast. I'm going to focus on lots of short races this fall.  MTA: DH has put his foot down about any more marathons this year. As hurt as I got, I can't really argue. Mankato is suppose to have a marathon October 2010 and I really want to do that one.

Bugs

Bugs

Right now, I could probably do 3 pull-ups, maybe and maybe 20 pushups.  So, I need to work on them more.

That's about what I can do, if they are the standard kind. Some of the ones I can do 0.  I'll get there.

I am sore to my butt to my chest today.

Kim, that is some really nice fast miles.

Bugs

Lou may be going to India, too, but I'm going in October on a medical mission trip. Can't wait, although it is at a critical time in my marathon prep. It'll all work out, though

I'm not going back to India any time soon.  I've been there 5 times for work (Delhi), and each trip was about a week (well one was two weeks), so it was pretty grueling.

Great pictures, Erika!  What a great time that must have been!  Who is Laura?  She was the only one I couldn't place (and one of the few I haven't met Smile )

Ok I don't recommend spending the day at the pool in the hot sun before doing a 5k, even if only planning on running it as a tempo. First bad sign was falling asleep on the couch when I was supposed to be getting ready to go.  Can't believe that not only did I get 2nd in AG but I passed the woman who's gotten 3rd the last two times. NO complaints about the time. It's not a fast course and  the fact that I actually finished kind of suprises me.  Guess learning to push somewhat through some of the mental blocks.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have a blister from this past weekend (did a medium/long double in one day, which is the first time I've ever done that) -- so I limp a bit. But I ran at the track meet tonight in Annapolis and it felt fine when I was running. Then when we go for food afterward, I'm limping again as we walk inside. Felt kind of dumb -- just did 6 events at a track meet without thinking about the blister on my little toe, but now I can't walk without limping...

And w.r.t. the sun, I have found that it really drains me -- but the important part is for me to remember suntan lotion, or else it can not only drain me, but also make me feel nauseous afterward.

There was a fast little 9 year old kid who ran the 100m, and then ran the mile as well.

And there were some really fast runners -- I'm waiting til they post the 100m results to see how fast they went. They also ran a sprint medley while the rest of us were running a 4x400 -- they finished theirs a lot sooner than either of our relay teams. (They ran their sprint medley first 400 in lane 3, then broke inside after the 400m pass. Our two 4x400 relays ran one in lane 1, and one in lane 2 until after the first pass.)

[w.r.t. = with respect to]

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Niiice, Pam!

Started out this morning with enough time for 9, knowing that I might cut it short.  I did.  I think I need to do a bunch of easy miles to build back my endurance.  My goal for the week is 30 miles and I expect more so this isn't a problem at all.

6.1 miles, 48:53, 8:03/mi, AHR 167 (86% MHR)

theyapper

On the road again...

Congrats, Pan, on the AG 2nd place finish.  Must have been well rested from that nap on the couch!  

Nice run, Lou.  Easy runs are wonderful and will build your endurance back quickly.  I saw that you've been to India a handful of times.  My trip is also to Delhi and I'm returning to the States exactly 3 weeks before my marathon.  How wiped out will I be and for how long?  A week?  2?  Just curious what you experienced.

Rest day for me today.

Paul