Marathon Trainers

Christmas week (Read 258 times)

Cashmason

Looks like the charts dont copy over to here. But you get the idea. Thoughts from a Doc. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- There is 1 new post in "The View from Sports Center" Project Ski: The Benefit of Being "You seem to be rushing the interview. Give the client some time. Ask follow up questions. Find out more about him," I said to my student. "When am I going to get to do something? Like take some measurements and do some treatments? Why do I have to ask so many questions? I don't feel like I'm doing anything," replied the student. "You are doing something; something very important," I said. "You're listening. You're being receptive, open, reflective. You're being present. Being is doing," I explained. Some students understood. Others smirked, shook their heads and said, "Well, I want to do some treatments. I mean therapists treat people, right?" Part of my practice for returning to skiing is to train for three weeks and then take five days off. Just be. Do other things. Rest. Recover. Let my body adapt. Then, start the process over again. Train for three; one off. Taking five days off feels like I'm not doing anything. But, it's a vital part of training and maybe the most important part. It's during the rest and recovery phase that your body adapts; builds new capillary beds, adds muscle, improves energy delivery pathways. Being is doing. In order for me to actually stop and take a week off, I have to put it on my calendar. Of course, it helps if you look at your calendar which when I did just the other day, I realized that I was headed into a recovery week this week. From the recovery, your body goes through something called "supercompensation" - kind of like earning interest on money in the bank. But, if you rest too long, you'll lose the benefits of training and gradually drift back to the starting line. By applying this cycle, you gradually increase your performance (double click the graphs for a larger image) If you don't allow enough recovery, you'll over train and actually reduce your performance level. You get weaker. I start my sessions again on 12/27/08. Until then, I'll remind my self that being is doing. Have a safe, relaxing, and fun holiday. DK • Email to a friend • Related • •

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - thank you for sharing that! I need to keep reminding myself of this.

Bugs

Cash, The trick is resting at the right time, otherwise you're just a runner that might run fast on a given day, but not necessarily on race day. I have not struggled with scheduling rest but I see a pattern. I read in one of my books that you want to be 90% on your way up on the marathon. What I believe I have done formy races my legs are tired & on the way down. My best races I rested more the week before or earlier in the week but started to pick it up the days before. I've ran so many (low-priority goal) races where I've rested the couple of days before the race, or even the week before and ended up with dead legs on race day. My new plan for races is to plan the rest (complete rest, reduced running, or easy running) at least two weeks before my race. So for a 5K cut back the week before, week of keep running reduced, but start to pick-up towards race day. It was -10F here and I have FINALLY figured out how to dress. Instead of my usual UA tights I tried cuddle duds leggings and running pants - perfect. Three years it took me to figure out. Great x-mas so far. Wll post about that later, download speed sucks here. I feel like a fat cow after all the eating..happy to return to healthy eating.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - someone was telling me they prefer to rest 2 days before a race and run easy the day before. I did that for the 10K and my legs felt great. MTA: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Dave

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope that Santa brought you some cool running stuff under the tree this year. My best gift is the shirt from the graphic in my new avatar.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

awesome gift Dave!!! I got Once a runner, again to carthage, and a 5x5 Rubix! Big grin oh and our big gift is a dog! We are picking her up tomorrow - a 7 month old american bull dog named Penny - pictures to come!!!! MTA: I know we've talked about this before but I'm too lazy to search. I think I need to add some core work into my week. But I have no idea how to do this without hurting my running. Honestly I would love to just run and not do anything else as I really have no interest in anything else, but i've been told that doing other things will be helpful in making me a better runner - so I thought i would start with core work. I have no idea how many times a week or for how long. So any suggestions on frequency would be awesome!!

Bugs

Merry Christmas to You! A video to make you laugh. My niece is a very good singer, but my son is a performer at different level. Smile

Bugs

Kimmie

Thanks Bugs! That did make me laugh. Merry Christmas Everyone! We've had a long lazy morning. I was going to go for a short run but I'm having some pain in my IT band on the right side. It's not too bad but maybe a day or rest might be a good thing. Like the present, Dave. I thought of having my girls do something like that for their Daddy, but we didn't get to it. Instead, they made him a book about all the things they love about him. Smile Very sweet. Take care and have a great day you all.

Dave

Merry Christmas everyone!! Sorry to hear about that IT band, Kimmie. Hopefully stretching it helps. Really nice day today with the family. Pulled away for a really nice 5.5 easy miles. Beautiful weather and fresh legs after taking yesterday off. Little tweak in my calf after the hills on Tuesday but nothing I can't run through. Hope everyone had a great day today and spent it with people they love. And ran.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Shan, I meant to answer this before... doing core work: You can work your abs every day unlike other muscle groups that need rest. There are two schools of thought on this and my opinion is that you can work them every day. But, you don't really need to in order to see benefits. It's just like with running... if you put more into it, then you'll get more out of it... so, in other words, if you're goal is to make your core stronger, than you can accomplish that with three workouts a week, about 10 minutes each time. If you really want to focus in on your core more, than you're going to have to do more. For most runners, 10 minutes of really concentrated core work three times a week is all you really need. Now, I need some advice about this ITB. I have no idea whether or not I should rest it one more day. It doesn't hurt that much- just enough so that I'm paranoid about it getting worse. I know it's hard to tell someone whether or not they should run... just debating and worried that another day will throw my mileage way out of whack. But, I'm also worried that I might injure it further. Of course, I just got back from ice skating with the girls. My DD5 was holding on for dear life to me the whole time, although she started to do better towards the end. so tweaky knee/ITB + shaky 5 year old on the ice= potential disaster. But strangely enough, it didn't bother me at all. Now to decide about running in the morning.

Oh Mighty Wing

Thanks Kimmie! Here is what I do for my IT band - 1) stretch my quads and calves really well 2) I use a stick on my IT band and 3) I cross my legs - hurting IT leg behind, bend over at waist, touch toe of hurting IT leg - this is the only way I can feel the stretch. I run when it's sore but only because I know it's not doing any more damage. MTA: I also want to point out that mine doesn't hurt when I'm running... only randomly when my muscles tighten up.

Dave

For me, it would come down to whether or not it hurts worse after running (IT band). If not, I'd run. If it does, I'd take a rest/stretching day.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Kimmie, Really sorry to hear the IT band is acting up. That one always scares me. Is by the knee? Of course I'd try graston. I had something tight and rubber like on the side of my knee last week and I butter knifed it, smoothed it out, but left a hell of a bruise. I should have probably left it for the doc. Do you think it was using the TM, as you haven't had this before have you? Dave, Love the shirt. You've got a quality wife there. Gotta love where those gifts are planned ahead of time. Shannon, Have to tell MIL and FIL LOVE the AeroGarden. Time to start thinking up ideas for next year. I love my new Pink UA Coldgear Jacket I got, and I got a gift certificate. My other favorite gift was seasons 1-3 of Sex and City. Will be fun to watch on the TM. Our family gift was a Wii, grandpa and DH are playing now. Kids just wanted Pokeman cards and Bakagans, great I thought, finally small toys that don't take up so much room. I keep a list of all the gifts given and receieved a x-mas. Holy crap, think the recession is over.

Bugs

Bugs

Have been running, -10F which is fine, but the streets are solid ice, so I end up running on crunchy snow. Will get out longer tomorrow. Sure is not the same stride running on ground with good traction or on TM. MTA: I have to run, because if I don't Dave will be mean to me and post weekly miles.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - I'm soo glad they liked it!! I hope it turns out well for them! and that Dave man - he's kicking butt!! I feel like a total slacker compared to him!