Marathon Trainers

Christmas week (Read 258 times)

Hail to The Victors!

Now, I need some advice about this ITB. I have no idea whether or not I should rest it one more day. It doesn't hurt that much- just enough so that I'm paranoid about it getting worse. I know it's hard to tell someone whether or not they should run... just debating and worried that another day will throw my mileage way out of whack. But, I'm also worried that I might injure it further.
    I did some big bad things to my ITB back in April, which is why I spent most of the spring on the shelf. I have two stretches that have done wonders for me: Kneeling on the knee with the bad ITB on the ground, other quad is parallel to the ground. Tilt your pelvis back a little, and push forward a little bit. YOu should feel a stretch down the quad and the side of your leg. The second is harder for me to describe, which is too bad because it really makes the ITB band tightness go away. Get down in a take off stance, like you are a 100 meter dash sprinter taking off out of the blocks. Your good leg is underneath you, with your quad parallel to the ground, and that foot flat on the ground. Your bad leg is behind you and your are on your toe on that side, with your knee barely touching the ground. Your hands should be even with your good toes flat on the ground on either side of you. Your knee on your bad side doesn't necessarily need to be to the ground, it depends on how flexible you are (I am not) you should feel a stretch starting up near your Tensor Fascia, and down to the outside of your knee. IF you need pictures, I think I can figure something out. I'm not the best at describing stretches. :-)
    Cashmason

Kimmie, I am the king of ITB pain. Had it in 3 marathons. It doesnt go away with just rest. Do you have access to a foam roller at your gym? Let me check over then next few days for videos on using it. Foam roller is 20 dollars or less on the internet. I think I got my at Perform Better. Many gyms have them too. Also google Walt's stretch by I think Walt Reynolds.
      Cashmason

http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4278_A_CategoryID_E_235 Here is the foam roller I use. Sometimes you can find them even cheaper. Brand doesnt matter. White is what I use. It is a bit softer and doesnt last as long as others, but has lasted 2 years for me no problems. I like the softer one. You could use even a tennis ball to roll on. It will stretch out the IT band fine. The link above has a link it to a pdf file which shows you how to use the roller. Page two about half way down for the IT band.
        Cashmason

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0168-knee-injuries.htm Long article. How to do the stretch is about half way down the page. Don't let this get worse. It can feel like a hot knife stabbing you in the side of the knee. It can get so bad that your knee almost collapses when you put weight on it, and bend the knee. Once it hits, you can lessen the pain by keeping the knee straight and locking the knee cap. Going down stairs can hurt like heck as does running downhill. Walking or running up doesnt hurt quite as bad.
          Cashmason

Video of foam rolling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJLxruO3su0 I have found if you find a very painful spot, stop rolling and just keep the roller right under the painful spot until the pain goes down by 75 %. That works better than just rolling up and down and not stopping on the painful spot. When you use the foam roller and you only feel pressure and not pain, the IT band problem has been cured for this go around. If it hurts like all get out, you have IT Band problems or are about to get them.
            Cashmason

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=2139893;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread Slowtwitch thread on IT Band problems. Warning: Slowtwitch is a triathlon based forum. It has some of the meanest, nastiest, catiest men posting on the internet. WAAAAYYY too much testosterone, even from the women on there...... and many of them know their stuff. Wear your asbestos gloves when you use they keyboard there. They will flame you and the horse you rode in on, just for breathing. They also have some living legends fo the sport over there, and actually the better the athlete, the nicer they are. The wannabee's are just plain mean.

Dave

Thanks for the link Cash. I've been saying lately that even the fights around this place are like watching Care Bears have a pillow fight.
                MTA: I have to run, because if I don't Dave will be mean to me and post weekly miles.
                You know I will. And if you keep that up, I'll post yours in bold or pink letters or something. Its called encouragement and holding each other accountable. Its like a 12 step in here just to get people to the starting line. Wink MTA: Did you see Santa up there?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash as always you are a wealth of information!! Big grin
                  Kimmie

wow- massive amount of info- off to get a foam roller now.... I've always wanted one so this will be a good excuse to get going on a better stretching regimen. thanks so much everyone

Dave

So I just got back from the clinic with my youngest. Both she and my wife have strep throat. Hoping I don't have it. Yuck. I may still try and get a run in this afternoon. Weather is still holding up.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

If you run zero miles, you wont show up on the list at all.
                        Kimmie

Dave, sorry to hear about the strep. Hope you don't have it. Ok, I just got back from picking up my foam roller at Target and following the DVD. All I can say is OUCH! Apparently, my quads, shins, glutes, ITB are all very tight. like that is excrutiatingly painful. I didn't even realize I was in such bad shape. My hamstrings seem to be OK. So, now I need to know- those of you that use a foam roller, when do you use it? I so desperately want to run today but I think I won't again- tomorrow was supposed to be 20 miles, but now i'm rethinking it.

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie - that's what I was trying to say - rarely is my IT the root of the problem. It typically only hurts me when everything else is tight. I have no clue how to use a foam roller though so i can't help!

Happy Camper

Kimmie: I would think at least once a day. I would do more. I think you are trying to lengthen the band and strengthen the muscles around it. Lunges and squats can help with the tracking of the band. I've understand it to be a problem that you should be proatctive and treat as opposed to just resting it away. Interesting workout day for me. Picked up a new route. Ran 12.5 miles total from the Inlaws house down the park road to Roaring River State Park. 480' descent down into the park and then a 480' climb back up to the highway. Wind gusts to 30mph and 58°F. Shorts, tech shirt, no gloves or hat. Got to love it. Spent 4 hours this afternoon with FIL, DS1 and DS2 cutting, splitting, carrying and stacking wood for a family friend. Nice way to spend time with the family. 20 more miles to go for YTD Goal.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

20 more miles to go for YTD Goal.
                                go pace go!!!