Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/28-2/4 (Read 367 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Rest day for me so I'm just dropping a line to wish everyone a good morning and good running.

Oh Mighty Wing

goodd morrning mr. i! rest here as well. coould i go long again tomorrow or would it be better to go 5/6 tomorrow and long tuesday? cash - great bike race erica - you and that treadmill! hehe i bet you are gonna go through withdrawl while training for boston

Dave

Goodmorning everyone. Shan, I'd do the 5/6 and then long on tuesday. Better to spread out those long runs a bit and get good mileage in between. I'm taking some of my own advice (not going long) and will probably take a rest day today (again) or go 5 at the most. Some soreness behind my right knee after my unintended double workout on Friday. I walk a lot anyway just with my commute and around the big 5 sided building I work in. Yep, that building. Still, I think my increased mileage is starting to show a little wear and tear and its probably a good idea to back off a little this week. Cash, your bike story left me thinking about my first bicycle race as a teenager. I was probably 14 and went down a huge hill with a sharp turn at the bottom. I couldn't control the turn and went off into a stop sign breaking my collar bone. Great first race Tongue Probably a good thing that I didn't have modern technology to give me any max speeds to shoot at...

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

2nd 20-miler of the weekend is done. Felt stronger than last weekend's Sunday run and finished today in 3:33. Only two minutes faster than last Sunday but I don't feel like as wiped after the second long-run. I did the o'l sodium load after Saturday's run and did eat m&m's at mile 12 and 18 today. Took some of the edge off. Now to get some stuff done before the house falls down.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

evanflein

Bryan you are amazing. Glad you're on my team! (oops, KR talk mixing in with RA talk....) Shan, yeah, withdrawal is something I thought of.... good thing I've got that relay race at the end of the month to help out. DH found a February marathon... same course as the one I ran in December, but nah, not going to do it. For Marathon Maniac status, I'd also need to do one in March and I just don't want to do that. I want to go into Boston with some real training and tapering, and see how I do. I'm "going long" today, but only 10 or so miles. And it's -39 now... so yep, it'll be a treadmill run. I'm thinking of digging out our German language CD's to listen to while I'm running. Something different...
            Cashmason

Pace, those back to back long runs are amazing. My friends than run Badwater and Western States do that. Yes you are all nuts. Dave, whenever I find anyone who rides a bike often. first thing I ask them is how many collar bones have they broken. I haven't broken any bones.... yet. Nice thing about triathlons is that there is no drafting allowed. So you can't be within 2 bike lengths of another rider unless you are in the process of passing, so fewer chances for crashing. Half marathon next weekend for me. I was going to run 8 miles of the course today, but it is raining and quite windy. May go to the gym later to run or may not. Legs still sore from yesterdays ride. Max heart rate yesterday was 168, average heart rate was 163. Max heart rate on a bike is usually about 15 beats per minute less than if you were running.

Bugs

HI GUYS! Erica, Another job well done. You're doing so awesome with these marathons. If you didn't have Boston in sights I'd say go from an ultra, you sure do have the base. I would be putting my feet up in the air and here you are pushing out 10 on the TM. Should send you my crown! Cash, Did not know that about the heart rate on a bike! I use a HM in spin class because can not measure distance. Mine is usually max 163, ave 156. I was beating myself up over it, because is lower than running. You are very smart man. well done. P2R, What VRAA team are you on? We got some hardlly reporting any points, and it's discouraging. You enjoing VRAA? 1.5 hours at cycle class yesterday, first time I showed up this session. Apparently they frown upon that. Ran a 4 mile Zen (no watch) race today. Had people drafting off me the whole way. Love when you can hear their foot steps, really gets me going. Decided to push to put a little distance between us. You get just 10 feet ahead and it's hard as hell for them to catch you at the end. Had some girl raced by me at the end, couldn't take her, think she had plenty left in the tank. PITA walkers are not just a CA thing. Screamed, "Left". The three of them didn't move. I plowed right by them and said, "Thanks for moving". The guy screamed a nasty back. Apparently he was not in as big of hurry to get his post race burger and soup. I got a 2x sweatshirt for door prize, that me and the kids can all wear at the same time. The shirts were misprinted. Instead of "Freeze Your Caboose" it was "Freeze Our Caboose". Was 37F, nobody's caboose was frozen. I wore my brooks trance without orthotics, first time since April, added a little padding on the arch. Felt really good. Feet our tired tonight, but that's because they gotta get conditioned again. Think, finally going in the right direction with this injury. 32:30 avg. pace 8:18, 9th/32 for female, 29th/64 overall, 4th in AG/? no idea. Last year was 32:03. Sad Mark my words, I'm on a come-back. The PRs are coming.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Bugs: Nice work on the 4-miler! Thanks for making me laugh this evening! Big grin Wish there were pictures of the cross-body you threw the PITA walker! Erika and I are on Team S. My second VRAA. Love it for January. No way I would have done 5:00 AM runs in Dallas during that stupid meeting if it weren't for the points. Just wish it were warm enough to get the road bike out to really rack the numbers up. It got into the 50's today but I didn't feel it after the long-run. Looks like we are stuck in second anyway. Don't see us making up the gap in one week. Which VRAA team are you on? Does it give you extra motivation?

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

evanflein

Well, hey, if Willa would post her stupid points it might help! I think the VRAA really helps with motivation. I agree... I wouldn't have been doing pushups and crunches in my hotel room if it wasn't for the VRAA. This is my first year doing it. Bugs, good job! Glad you didn't freeze your caboose. And I agree... your time is coming, girl. PR's this year for you, I'm sure of it! Ended up with a little over 11 miles running today, and a little over 1 mile walking, for a total of 12.25 (see, with VRAA I wouldn't have rounded up to the next quarter mile!). Also did about 15 minutes of core and ab stuff. The latest Runners' World has a section on Ab work, and I did some of those things on the ball. Hard to believe a week ago I was running in the sunshine by the ocean... it was -39 this morning, warmed up to -19 this afternoon. *sigh* It should warm up this week though... highs near zero. Yeah.

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - i'm taking your advice! and good idea listening to your body. pace - have i ever mentioned you are a BEAST!!! erica - good that you have a race planned. It will be interesting to see how the break goes. I'm sure going in well rested is a good idea. Especially since i'm thinking you are wishing to PR here?? Cash - broken bones... exactly why i'm afraid of bike's (not motocycles mind you, just bicycles) Bugs - GO BUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to cross check those PITA's ... i mean way to race!! Wink ok so just so I am clear on how stupid this is... it would be ridiculous to think that 8 weeks after my half i could be ready for a marathon. especially since my mileage is still really light right?? Just kinda stupid thinking on my part?? Would be a very very bad idea??
                      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

ShanHas - 6-8 weeks before a full marathon is just about ideal timing for a tune up race. I'd be more concerned about low overall mileage and it's effect on the marathon more than the effects of a HM 8 weeks prior. When is your half and what sort of mileage do you plan on having at that point? Cash/dbg2n - I've been hit by a car on my bike 5 times - never seriously hurt. The last time it happend I ran a red light while doing over 25 MPH. 8 miles with striders this morning - I log those as fartleks. I thought it would be rejeuvanating to be outdoors this morning, but it was tough even though it was in the 20s. Looking forward to spring. Tomorrow's supposed to be a day off for me, but it's gonna be in the mid 30s at 5:00am. I'll probably get my 10 miler in then and sleep in on Wednesday when it's going to be 18 and windy.

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr. I - I was thinking the same exact thing. I don't the half would hurt I don't think I have enough time to build the mileage i need. I'm going to hit 20 this week. Maybe more but not definately as I still have trouble with running 4 days. I really think that if I try to make a huge jump up to 30 in one or two weeks I would possibly risk injury or evertraining. My half is March 9th so I still have 6 weeks till then. Then another 8 after that. Could I find a schedule that is 14 weeks long? is that really enough time given my low current mileage? or shoudl I just give it up? You might be thinking why are you thinking about pushing it up instead of keeping the Nov. marathon date. Well DF and I are planning on making babies in the fall (July/Aug). You can see how this could through a wrench in my plan so I tried to find a June/July/Aug marathon but couldn't find one in my area (phila area). BUt there is 1 May 9th about an hour from me. so I was trying to see if that would even be possible if I could disipline myself to run 4 days knowing I need the mileage to support long runs. I mean possible maybe, but would I be heading into a rotten experience??
                            Shan, pull up a training schedule, work backwards, and see if you can hop right in. If it feels right. If so, I say go for it.

Bugs

I am on VRAA Team T. You guys? We got a couple that have <100 points logged. wth? it's not much of a motivation for me. i xt way more than i should, and am being really careful with my running. not sure what i think of the rules, you get points for stretching. so do i log 5 minutes of stretching? good grief. but ya, my abs are sore and i suppose that is good to be doing all that jazz. erika, want me to have a talk with willa? i'll be mn nice. shangen,you should never give up, whatever you don't give up. but you do need to start looking at the calendar closely. you've ran enough to know why kind of mileage increases you like. how about a june marathon up north? you and dh could take a little trip up north while your still dinks. :o) good luck with whatever you decide. we've never had a member have a baby before. :) inertia, 5 times. geeze your a human magnet. be careful. cash, i biked at reasonable effort on saturday, and i think it has no effect on my running legs on sunday's race. do you experiance the same? i don't think i'd do it for an important race though, at least not 1.5 hours of biking. 9 tough miles today before the cold and snow gets here tomorrow. i'm scheduling a rest and an easy day. points="" logged.="" wth?="" it's="" not="" much="" of="" a="" motivation="" for="" me.="" i="" xt="" way="" more="" than="" i="" should,="" and="" am="" being="" really="" careful="" with="" my="" running.="" not="" sure="" what="" i="" think="" of="" the="" rules,="" you="" get="" points="" for="" stretching.="" so="" do="" i="" log="" 5="" minutes="" of="" stretching?="" good="" grief.="" but="" ya,="" my="" abs="" are="" sore="" and="" i="" suppose="" that="" is="" good="" to="" be="" doing="" all="" that="" jazz.="" erika,="" want="" me="" to="" have="" a="" talk="" with="" willa?="" i'll="" be="" mn="" nice.="" shangen,you="" should="" never="" give="" up,="" whatever="" you="" don't="" give="" up.="" but="" you="" do="" need="" to="" start="" looking="" at="" the="" calendar="" closely.="" you've="" ran="" enough="" to="" know="" why="" kind="" of="" mileage="" increases="" you="" like.="" how="" about="" a="" june="" marathon="" up="" north?="" you="" and="" dh="" could="" take="" a="" little="" trip="" up="" north="" while="" your="" still="" dinks.="" :o)="" good="" luck="" with="" whatever="" you="" decide.="" we've="" never="" had="" a="" member="" have="" a="" baby="" before.="" :)="" inertia,="" 5="" times.="" geeze="" your="" a="" human="" magnet.="" be="" careful.="" cash,="" i="" biked="" at="" reasonable="" effort="" on="" saturday,="" and="" i="" think="" it="" has="" no="" effect="" on="" my="" running="" legs="" on="" sunday's="" race.="" do="" you="" experiance="" the="" same?="" i="" don't="" think="" i'd="" do="" it="" for="" an="" important="" race="" though,="" at="" least="" not="" 1.5="" hours="" of="" biking.="" 9="" tough="" miles="" today="" before="" the="" cold="" and="" snow="" gets="" here="" tomorrow.="" i'm="" scheduling="" a="" rest="" and="" an="" easy="" day.=""></100 points logged. wth? it's not much of a motivation for me. i xt way more than i should, and am being really careful with my running. not sure what i think of the rules, you get points for stretching. so do i log 5 minutes of stretching? good grief. but ya, my abs are sore and i suppose that is good to be doing all that jazz. erika, want me to have a talk with willa? i'll be mn nice. shangen,you should never give up, whatever you don't give up. but you do need to start looking at the calendar closely. you've ran enough to know why kind of mileage increases you like. how about a june marathon up north? you and dh could take a little trip up north while your still dinks. :o) good luck with whatever you decide. we've never had a member have a baby before. :) inertia, 5 times. geeze your a human magnet. be careful. cash, i biked at reasonable effort on saturday, and i think it has no effect on my running legs on sunday's race. do you experiance the same? i don't think i'd do it for an important race though, at least not 1.5 hours of biking. 9 tough miles today before the cold and snow gets here tomorrow. i'm scheduling a rest and an easy day. >

Bugs

Cashmason

Bugs, yes I am on VRAA too. Our two big point getters have been either injured or on a work schedule where they cant run for the last two weeks. We went from first place to middle of the pack. And we have a couple of folks that did like one day of workouts and then nothing since. Oh well, I work out for me. The VRAA got me doing more than I normally would. As far as biking, it really depends on how it affects my racing. A flat ride won't affect me. But a hilly ride or a hard spin class will affect my races. My legs normally don't hurt the day after. And training runs are fine, I don't even know I biked. But if I race, my legs don't have the same energy. It can affect me for 3 days after a hard ride.