Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/28-2/4 (Read 367 times)

Bugs

Well this diet sucks too. Sad Erika, DH may need glasses. I ran a sub-four not a sub 3:50, but if a bear was chasing me I might be able to do it. I do really want to come to Alaska, but healthy. Don't hink either of us are going to retire from running soon, I'll get there. Shan, Great work on the TM. I am doing feet and shin exercises like crazy. 1 hr eliptical last night, boy is it harder to go backwards, need to strengthen those muscles. Followed by 100 situps and 50 pushups. Ugh. The guy at the gym says I need to push myself harder. Tongue

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Home computer totally crashed this week and I can't find the CD to sync my Garmin now that the 'puter's up and running. Does anyone here have one I can borrow?
      Cashmason

A most excellent day. A friend from another Multi Sport forum is in California this week. I picked him up at his hotel at 6 am, took him down to the beach and we ran for an hour. Got him back to his hotel so he can shower up and meet clients. This afternoon he flys back to Chicago where it was -3. We ran in 45 degree temps. Also my Garmin 305 wouldn't turn on this morning. Glad I found out about today rather than race day on Sunday. A 5 minute call to Garmin and the unit works fine again. Just had to do a soft reset hitting the mode and reset button. No data was lost. Hard reset would be mode and power button but that would lose all previous data. Unit is recharging as I type. Would have sucked to have no Garmin on Race Day.
        Cashmason

Mr I. You can go to Garmin's website and download most of the stuff you need. Not sure if that will work for your problem, but they do have a number of files for the forerunner. You may not have been the only customer to have had this problem... wink.
          evanflein

Hey Bugs, check your profile! You've got your marathon time as 3:48... Ok, I'm finding the silver lining to my car being dead and at the shop. Carpooling with DH is giving us more time together, just to hang out. He takes the dog to work every day (she's old and doesn't deal with the cold well, so spends her day snoozing at his office and greeting clients and delivery people... not a bad gig for an old girl), so the three of us ride in together, he picks me up afterwards and we've been going to the gym. Good to have him working out regularly, and we get more time to be together without the kids. Kinda nice. So, 5 more miles on the treadmill tonight, and some weights. Then pizza for dinner I guess. Anyone tried that Papa Murphy's thin crust garlic chicken? Very good, and not too bad diet-wise (sodium higher than I'd like, but oh well). The chicken Mediterranean is nice too. Gotta get the thin crust though, or all bets are off!
            Cashmason

Shan, Don't run the LA marathon, parts of it will take you right thru the slums/ ghettos/ areas you dont want to be in alone at night, or even in daylight. Parts of the course are nice too, though. Erika, if he thinks 3: 50 is fast, what does he think about your times? Tell Peter he can run with me, I am more like 4:50. But think I have better times in me if the weather isnt 88 degrees and I do proper training. Think I would rather run with you though, and have a beer/ glass of wine and watch the game with him afterwards. Would rather look at your butt for 4 hours than his.
              Cashmason

So Erika, You about ready to snooze in the office, and greet delivery people?..... wink.

Bugs

Erika, read my profile now, I think it's accurate now. I love papa murphy's veggie delight. Ran into my physical therapist and podiatrist at the Y. PT chatted. She's so nice, agreed about the shoes & orthotics problem. Thought it was OK to run as long as shin splint isn't getting worse, just keep icing, strengthing, stretching, and doing the graston treatment. Recommended doing the toe rises with a light weight. Never would have thought of that.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Think I would rather run with you though, and have a beer/ glass of wine and watch the game with him afterwards. Would rather look at your butt for 4 hours than his.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

This must be why so many guys run past me. Can't handle the view. Embarrassed

Bugs

Cashmason

Naw Bugs, you have a fine butt. You may not have noticed, but your body shape and Erika's are similar. Being a guy, I don't notice most things, but I do notice cute women. Its one of the few things we guys are good at. Btw ignore most guys at the gym giving you advice. Most of the them, including the trainers know less than you do. They take a one day 300 dollar certification course and they are " a trainer". Most trainers are taught to teach strength. You are an endurance athelete, not a weight lifter. And most trainers are taught to make money for the gym by having you do exercises that everyone will fail at, with little recovery and then tell you you need to buy training sessions so you can "get more fit". I would bet you could run circles around 90 percent of the trainers at the gym and you are more fit than they are. Challenge any of them to a 10 mile run and see what they do.
                        evanflein

Alright, 'nuff of the butt watching stuff around here! Good grief... Roll eyes Right about now I'm sort of envying the dog... I'd much rather be curled up snoozing on a warm coat than sitting here listening to faculty complaining about not being able to retire whenever they want to. Cry me a river... Ok, just an hour left, then time for an attitude adjustment at the gym!
                            there's never enough butt watching. Cute butts have paced me in many a race. Evil grin Didnt run last night. So I did my 3 miler tonight. Will make it up tomorrow or Sunday. Only reason it may not be tomorrow is the weather may be ridiculously nasty..Ice storms and such. Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be in the 40's. So, I will still hit my target miles for the week (counting Sunday as the end of the week though). Felt bad for not getting out last night. But had plans to cook wings with the dw and watch hoops. Almost went out after the wings..but thought better of it. I did break the 100 mile mark for January tonight though. Feel great about that. Considering a 5 mile race just up the road Sunday. That will depend if I can get my 13 miler in Saturday or not. If I have to push the long run until Sunday doubt I'll be good for the race..but I am itching for some racin'. Shan...good mileage this week so far..keep pluggin.. Bugs..I agree, forget the trainers at the gym..they know less than dgb's doc! Do what feels right. Dont overthink things.

Oh Mighty Wing

yes! I actually had a trainer say "you should run less and lift more" when I told him I was in training for a half... needless to say that 1 free session never went any farther!!!

Bugs

Cash, I agree with you on the trainers. You are better off buying a book and finding a training partner. This was an acquantance. He was suprised my 20% body fat was so high, because the local fast runners are down to 6%. I admit, I have lost that "gaunt' runners look, but I'm trying. I would love to see what those girls eat! Thinks I lift weights too light. I do, I'm afraid of getting hurt. But advice taken, and am pushing myself harder now on upper body. He said that I am in good cardio shape, but no muscle. True to a point, but my body just doesn't put on muscle. It would be easier for me to get down to 110, I have the build, but like to eat with my kids. He was comparing me to the local fast runners. I'm not them and that's OK. Said I need to do speed work. Not the right time now, but some truth to this. Intervals would be easier on my body than jumping into a 4 mile race. At the end of the day I just really want to be a good Mom, enjoy my sport, burn some calories, eat my corporate ice cream, stay in my skinny jeans. Smile

Bugs