Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/16/2010 (Read 174 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Ran 3 miles this morning.  Easy pace.  Looking forward to a great week.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Me, too -- 3 recovery miles on tired legs

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

Beautiful weather here.  Cooler and lower humidity.  Heading out for an easy 4 as soon as I hit Post on this.

On the 215, max HR.  I'd be curious about what you recorded at the end of your last 5K, that may be a more meaningful figure to plug into your HR calculations as a max (or maybe that figure plus 5 beats or something).  The real question is what is the highest HR that you can sustain without much HR creep.  For me, it's about 160.  Anything above that and it tends to keep rising all the way to the crash site .

Took my recovery day as a rest day yesterday.  3 mile brisk walk with DW.  I'm outta here.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

On the 215, max HR.  I'd be curious about what you recorded at the end of your last 5K

It was 200 at the end of my last 5k.  212 is the highest I've ever seen at the end of a 5k, but that was about a year ago.

Paul

Dave

So assuming 85% as a sustainable race HR, you might be something like 179.

That doesn't sound like a particularly comfortable level of effort so maybe you backoff to 80% of 172.  So during your fast finish long runs, if you can keep it in that range and hold pace, I'd say you have a shot at that pace during the race.  Otherwise, you probably need to backoff a little.

So much for my run.  The little gym area in my building is under renovation and I found out today there are no showers.  Going to try and lot a run tonight but we know how that goes.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

We broke a heat record yesterday! Old record was 86° and yesterday hit 91°! That may not seem like much to you guys, but that's really hot for us. And wouldn't you know it? I had a 20 miler scheduled and got a late start. Two weeks ago, high temps (mid-80's) and late start, after a Saturday with a 10 mile run and an afternoon of blueberry picking, my first 20 miler attempt ended in a miserable crash at 9 miles.

Yesterday, even with a 10 mile tempo'ish run on Saturday, I was able to crank out the full 20, although that last couple of miles were pretty bad. I figure I drank about 60 oz of water, etc, and I still lost 5 lbs. Took me all afternoon to rehydrate. Soaked in my trash can of icy water (our well water is very cold) for 2 x 10 minutes. Feel pretty good today...

Paul, you and I must have pretty similar max heart rates. And I'm glad to see someone else thinks McMillan has some pretty aggressive pacing plans. Using my Boston marathon time, I don't think I could do a tempo run (7:23 to 7:42 pace) for more than a couple miles. And it gives me a 1:40 half marathon time. Ufda.

Ran errands at lunch, in the car. Work picnic tonight, so a run or anything but eating is highly unlikely. Just as well, I guess.

Happy Camper

Just have  to admire it.  Most homosapiens enter their short race times, aka 5k or 10k, get the McMilln marathon prediction and  can't come close to it even on their best day on the planet.  Ms Alaska  plugs in her marathon time and it's the short races that come out steeeuuuuuuuuuupid fast.  Hitting the marathon time or kicking it up heartbreak hill to a PR is no problem. 

6 & change this morning.  Leaving for Colorado on Thursday.  Pikes Peak or bust!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

Just have  to admire it.  Most homosapiens enter their short race times, aka 5k or 10k, get the McMilln marathon prediction and  can't come close to it even on their best day on the planet.  Ms Alaska  plugs in her marathon time and it's the short races that come out steeeuuuuuuuuuupid fast.  Hitting the marathon time or kicking it up heartbreak hill to a PR is no problem. 

So true.  Erika is a beast .

My best time by McMillan is my 10 miler.  I haven't been able to come anywhere near that for a full.  

Followed up my stupid progression run on Saturday with an impromptu 5K tonight on my own.  23:30 or so.  Might've been able to shave a minute or so off the first mile which started out somewhat easy.  Figure I'm about 2 1/2 minutes slower than last year.  Time to actually train some more.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Bryan, that's funny when you put it that way!  Go get 'em at Pike's Peak! I can't wait to hear all the details on that course!

Get going, Dave!

Cashmason

Figures that Erika is backwards... wink

3 easy miles tonight after teaching cycle class.

Yeah, I noticed that as well for Erika's times -- hey, nice run on Sunday, by the way!

9.2 for me this morning - 1:18, putting my pace at 8:34/mi.  I guess it might have been a couple degrees bit cooler or lower dew point -- still not Erika fast, but faster than I have been running.  I was happy to be able to hold this through the run.

evanflein

What can I say, I'm built for longer distances. Just don't care for the shorter races. That being said, I just signed up for a very hilly 10k on Sunday! First time I ran this race a couple years ago (I think it was inaugural), I was 2nd woman overall (no AG awards) and I won a $25 gift card for bagels! Sponsor is a bagel bakery (and bread, but bagels are the feature), and I love prizes I can eat!

Speaking of which... need to back away from the feed bag a bit. Seems odd that I'm up a couple pounds after running my peak mileage week since March...

Nice running there, Lou. You're much faster than I am when you get a break in the weather!

RAL planned, just 5 or so easy miles. Cutback week.
                            You're much faster than I am when you get a break in the weather!

Not true.  You just don't realize that yet.  Smile

theyapper

On the road again...

Had a nice easy 3 miles this morning.  Still so muggy, though.  This may be the first year ever that I throw a "fall's here" party just because of how good the temps are gonna feel.

It'll be nice to see all of summer running pay dividends.

Paul

6 recovery-paced miles for me this morning.  temps up but humidity down.  somehow it still felt humid