Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/30 (Read 221 times)

Cashmason

Erika,  

You should transfer to the University of Alaska at Huntington Beach, California.  All you have to worry about is switching from shorts with a 5 inch inseam in summer,  to one with a 9 inch inseam for winter.

Besides, I can hit a training pace of 9:15 to 9:30 for mile after mile and chat.    I can get to mid 8's but then I dont talk as much.

4 days in a row running so far,  best I have done since July.

Oh and my dog is great for slowing down the runs.  First half mile she wants to pull me along, then till mile 2 she is happy to run my pace.   After that her endurance gives out, and I have to slow down for her.

Could build up her endurance, but not sure if that is wise.  If she door dashes,  to chase a cat, I may never catch her again.

Dave

Quick checkin for me this morning.  Been in DC all week.  Love running here but am not terribly fond of the work aspects at the moment. 

Nice running, Cash.  Great to see you back. 

Had a great 6.6 Tuesday morning early around the mall.  Pitch black outside.  Glanced at my Garmin at one point to see my heart rate down at around 130 even though I was running a pretty good pace.  Strange.  Starting to feel like I'm getting some fitness back though. 

Hope everyone is having a good week. 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

PAM, HOW ARE YOU DOING?

Okay, I am pist. RP and I agreeded to do 8 miles with hills tomorrow. Each hill session has ended early in the past because she has had tired legs. She just emailed me that she did a serious weight lifting interval session this morning. I ran 3 miles SLOW because I knew we had a big workout tomorrow. I'm pist because I know she will be tired tomorrow and I want to get a good hard workout. Is it okay if I keep running the hills if she can't keep up tomorrow?

Bugs

Kimmie

I definitely think you should do what you need to do, whether she can keep up or not.  I have also run hill repeats with people who are faster than me.  We warm up 2 miles, then pick a big hill and run up and down 8-10 times and then cool down.  That way, they go up at their faster speed... just an idea.

Do you have another friend or couple of friends that could join you?  That way, if you and another friend wanted to speed up, she would still have another person with her.

Had an OK run this morning... still trying to figure out if the slower pace is lost fitness or something else.  I plan to make a Dr. appt. today.

Good to hear from you Dave (and Cash, too!)    Also wondering about Pam.

Bugs

Hi Cash, Glad to see you again. Good job on the great running.

Kim,

THANK YOU. We agreed to start together and probably go our own ways. I'm always nervous putting a run before being a good friend. In the past she has been so tired she can't run the hills, not even run them slow, we end up stopping and just running easy. She probably saved me an injury, but it is getting old for me stopping the workout.

Hope the doc visit goes well. Worried about low iron?

Bugs

Hey guys Smile How is everyone?

I say keep going on the hills Bugs! If she can't keep the day before a hard workout easy so she can do the hard workout oh well, your workout shouldn't suffer because of it. 

Good luck at the doctors Kim! 

Nice to see you Cash! Glad to see you're getting some running in!

Hey Dave Smile

As for me I'm on my 5th day of not running. I went out for a test run yesterday but felt a bit of pain  so stopped. It was probably too early to try anyways. I'm thinking I'll try again tomorrow.  Of course if I keep doing all the running around in the house (up/downstairs) and not doing the icing like I'm supposed to it maybe much longer. Oh and I guess I probably shouldn't have done the weighted lunges last night.

Anyway I haven't taken much time off this year anyways I'm sure my legs will thank me for the time off running (only to replace it with weights lol).

I need some feed back on my thoughts about my training for this next month. I'm thinking of keeping my mileage between 40/50 a week. 2 quality workouts a week (hills/speed) no "real" long run. And I'm thinking of doing upper body 4/5 times a week (something I have had no problem handling in the past) and lower body workouts 2 times a week. I'll only be doing the big hills every other week  so there will be weeks I'm doing 2 speed workouts instead of hill/speed. Any thoughts?

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ringmaster

Hey, everyone.

I wish I was that good at pacing myself, Cash. Too often I'm just inconsistent--or ending speeding up when I'm supposed to run easy. Something you'd think I'd figure out before I try a 26.2-miler again, huh?

Thanks for checking in, Dave. Good to see your running is getting easier, at least to your heart's thinking--it's good to get that easy feeling back.

Bugs, I'm sorry this RP seems so ill-fitting at the moment. The girl I run with occasionally and I have an understanding that we'll leave each other if we need to, and have done it before when one of us just wasn't "on." We do this at races, too--just go and catch up later. But I have the freedom to know her feelings aren't hurt when I leave her, and I feel the same way--each of us has training goals and we need to give each other leeway. We have the same view--running isn't social for us but training. When we want to see each other socially we grab coffee. I hope you find some way to work this out without hurting her feelings, because the way things are doesn't seem to be working for you and it's going to be tougher as you get to more serious training. Maybe in the future you'll just always plan that when you run with her it's your recovery run?

Easy 6 for me today, though "easy" might not be the best way to describe it. I still seem to be laboring more than I should, especially for such a short run. But it's the third day running in a row after doing day on-day off for a couple weeks, so I'm trying to give my legs some grace. Seventh day without migraine meds; I'm planning my own visit to the doc soon to rule out something medical. Low iron is my only theory for now.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

Kimmie

I need some feed back on my thoughts about my training for this next month. I'm thinking of keeping my mileage between 40/50 a week. 2 quality workouts a week (hills/speed) no "real" long run. And I'm thinking of doing upper body 4/5 times a week (something I have had no problem handling in the past) and lower body workouts 2 times a week. I'll only be doing the big hills every other week  so there will be weeks I'm doing 2 speed workouts instead of hill/speed. Any thoughts?

This plan looks good to me, although it's much more than I've ever done.  If you've handled it well in the past, I can't see why you wouldn't continue to do so.  My running group only has hill workouts every other week.

Sorry about your foot and hoping for a speedy recovery!

Cashmason

7 miles round the park with my running partner Mutt Mutt.  

Good news is she always wants to go for a run.

Bad news is,  I have to carry a poop bag with me,

and after she goes, have to find a trash can to deposit it.

Today is the first day she didnt get tired and slow me down after 3 miles.

Average 9: 33 pace and she stayed by my side  98 percent of the time.  ( She did want to check out the chihuahua at mile 4,  but a couple of tugs on the leash and we were back on pace.)

Bugs,  I totally understand about your running partner.  Its hard when you have different  levels of fitness.  I usually start a run with my friends,  and agree to meet them back at the car after an hour or what ever time we are going to run.

Its darn hard to find someone who wants to run your pace and your distance, and is as dedicated to running as you are.

Bugs

All worked out good with RP. We started pretty fast, 8:45 pace, and then hit the hills. She walked up the hills, her legs were shot but she knew I wanted hills today. Did three repeats of 1/2 mile steep hill. Then we split up as she had cramps (usually that is me) and I finished alone. 10.32 miles. Avg pace 8:55. Ran some real fast miles at the end, but forget the exact paces. She's a really nice person, and it really helps us both to start together, I think the trick will be not being afraid to split up mid-run.

Bugs

Bugs

Good news is she always wants to go for a run.

Bad news is,  I have to carry a poop bag with me,

My running partner probably says the same thing about me.

Bugs

Glad to hear all worked out with your RP Bugs!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well I got 1 mile done lol. Didn't feel completely healed so I turned around at a half mile. I'm kicking myself for even going out. I've yet to take a full day off my feet.  Dh pointed out to me that how can I expect it to heal with I'm constantly on it (housework, etc). I'm sure that doing the weighted lunges the other night didn't help either. Anyway I had planned on running 13/14 with the big hills in them on Sunday with RP. Well I've smartened up (not that I'm happy about it).  Since I've been running I haven't had to take much time off due to injury (though I did run through a stress fracture last year that I didn't know about until AFTER it had healed) and I don't plan on starting now. I promise  to not try to run until  Monday and if I do so help me someone kick me in the arse! I also promise to stop being so anal about housework. Yes it's going to SUCK ASS  to get back to (dh just doesn't do a great job cleaning up) but I've gotta do what I've gotta do to help my foot heal.

That is all lol

evanflein

Pam, that's what I've always said about the foot injury issue... you can't "not" use it. You're always on your feet doing stuff, unless you're bedridden or living on the couch. Makes full recovery difficult. I'm also concerned that you're still hurting after so many days when you think the culprit was shoes... Usually shoe discomfort goes away in a couple days, some ibu and ice would help. But this has been going on a week? Might be something else going on there...

Hey Cash! What kind of dog is she? 7 miles is a pretty good doggie run. I know a gal who runs with her dog and plans on being near a trash can at about the 1 mile mark... seems the dog is good for a mile before she has to go.

Hey Dave, glad to see you're getting good runs in. Might make the sucky work situation a little better?

Bugs, you handled the RP and hills issue very well. Nice to start out together, go do your thing and then meet up at the end. Even nicer to do the whole thing together, but take what you can get.

Perry, I also envy those who can just dial in a pace and go. Seems like to good pacers at marathons can do that, most without a Garmin! I don't get it. I'm terrible at it... but it's funny how many people follow me in races and later tell them I held a good pace that helped them. Maybe they're worse than me!

Hey Vix! Good job on the mileage, girl! And I don't think it's the shoes helping the sciatica... goodness knows all my shoes are at least well broken in if not pushing the mileage envelope. I think it's from the time off running I took for my foot and the increased emphasis on strength and core training I've been doing. Had a similar thing in 2006 when I was plagued with shin splints all spring. Finally took 2 weeks off when I really tweaked my knee, and lo and behold my shin splints were gone when I started back up! This is another good time to plug the value of pool running as a rehab exercise...

Kimmie, did you get in to see the doc? I'm betting it's just a seasonal down time. I know I get those. I get really grumpy though...

Yesterday I did a nice 32 minutes on the elliptical at lunchtime while watching the news. Plan to do that again today, but less time on that thing and some weights. Last night I ran 5.28 on the treadmill while dinner was in the oven. Tonight I'm planning about 4, easy pace. I'm enjoying doing these "double" workouts. Feels like I might be (note... "might" be) kickstarting my fitness back into gear without too much wear and tear on foot and ankle.

It's definitely a tendon/nerve issue. I think I really caused a bigger issue letting Ken wrap it the first night. I was up off and on all night due to pain. I ended up taking the wrap off and the pain gradually went away.  I think if I hadn't tried to run Tuesday,Wed and do weighted lunges (25lbs dumbell in both hands) That I'd be good to go. It doesn't hurt to walk or anything I can just feel the stiffness of the tendons in my forefoot.  OH and I also need my new shoes to show up. Wearing dead shoes isn't any help. I told Ken that if I'm wrong and I'm still having issue's come Monday I need to go back to the doctor.

Also I'm having problems with both of my feet getting ice cold and falling asleep. They don't like me sitting on the couch and them being elevated. I've even  got my comfy fuzzy socks on.

Looks like things are turning for the good for you Erika! Enjoy your run tonight!