Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/12 (Read 246 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

We are public again.

Do we have a ticker symbol?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

GREAT JOB Pace!!! Ya trying to find the right food can totally suck! Great photo's you look GREAT!!

Good luck to your wife Jeremy!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I posted my race report in the general forum  http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/c0b43038a2f94d9397e552353c9abf5d#focus

I HATE writing however something takes over when I write my reports lol. 

I'll try to catch up tomorrow however dh is patiently waiting for me. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

Bryan!   Very cool photos!  I want to hear more details about your race.  Did I miss a report somewhere?

Good job!

Pam- so sorry your stomach acted up.  I enjoyed reading your report, though.  Way to tough it out and although, it's not what you wanted, 4:05, is a still a great time.   I know what it feels like to be mentally done with a marathon.  

I talked to my brother in law last night about his marathon in Chicago.  He ended up with a 4:53 or something with pretty even splits.  I thought he did great for a first marathon but he was disappointed in himself.  I think he determined that the cold weather got to him.  I have never run a cold marathon.  I'd love to see what that would be like... even in the high 40s would be great.

No running yesterday-  will run tonight with my group.

Have a good day!

theyapper

On the road again...

Great report, Pam.  Kim, I'd love to pull off even splits in my marathon.  Looks like he did great.

Cool temps and I just ran 6 miles without once looking at the Garmin.  That alone made the run nice, but seeing my avg. pace for the run @ 9:09 and not being exhausted made me happier.  Turns out I just about could've gotten a PR for a 10k and it was just a training run.  In fact, my AHR was 13 beats lower than it was when I ran that 10k.  I needed to see that progress - esp. coming off that bad run over the week-end.

I'll be active on the boards for about another day, then it'll be spotty from India.  I think I've got ethernet in the hotel, so hopefully I won't feel too much like a stranger!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

Yapper's talk of posting from India has shamed me into posting.

Like many in this group, I tend to stay way when I'm not running consistently but lurking often for inspiration.  Getting ready to hit a treadmill for a few miles at least today. 

As Kim mentioned, work has been busy, but I'm running out of excuses since I had a 3 day weekend and didn't run. 

Easy runs, all. 

MTA:  2.5 miles on the treadmill.  Should've run outside but I didn't have the clothes for it handy at work.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Thanks guys!

Hey Dave nice to see you!! 

Got in a nice 10k this morning. I didn't get much sleep last night due to nightmares so I was really tired this morning.  I had thought about doing another run this afternoon however Ken had a better idea. We'll be working out (with weights) later this evening. 

evanflein

Tough race for Perry's wife, glad she's ok now. Talking about the next marathon is a good sign...

Paul, yes, there are some sucky weeks when you wonder WTH you're doing with this marathon crap. Then it all falls together and you love running again. Weird... And hope we do hear from you in India.

Good job on the race, Bryan and nice pictures. Time may not have been what you wanted, but it wasn't a goal race though, right? (sounds strange saying that about a 50k, but there ya are)

I'll go read Pam's RR when I have some time, I'm awfully behind on stuff at work and home, and you guys are busy here!

Glad the "make it public" action happened, I'm fine with it. Just sorry things ended up the way they did.

Got back late last night and wow what a weekend that was. We had a post-race party on Sunday night to also celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving. Met up with some old friends from Kickrunners, and met new ones I'd only known online before. What a greta time. I'm feeling tired but ok, would love to run today but frankly don't know if I'll have time. I was gone for a week, and the house is a disaster. The boys were home alone for 4 days... 'nuff said.

I'll work on a race report later if I can. Have some wonderful photos and video clips to share. End result of the race was 3:39:36, which is just 48 seconds off my PR time from Boston 2008. I was pretty sure I'd have a good race, but I really wasn't expecting it to be that good! And to think... I spent about a minute in the porta potty and did stop a couple times when I'd meet up with DH for water, S-caps, etc. He's the best support crew ever.

Kimmie

Erika, that is a fabulous time!  I saw your results but I was waiting for you to post.  congratulations on a well run race.  Look forward to reading the report.

I'm a member at kickrunners but I never go that site.  Thought I might go back and check it out.  Where do you usually post?  Do they have groups there too?  I was originally a member of kicksports... which then became coolrunning and now here.   That's how come I have the user name Kimmie, and not something with initials and #s

They've let me keep it from site to site.

Look forward to hearing from you in India, Paul.

Been home all day again with my sick girl.  Trying to use this as an opportunity to get caught up on housework, as well as keep her company.

evanflein

Kimmie, I always secretly didn't mind my kids being sick (as long as not too sick...) because I needed the break to catch up on stuff around the house. Now, they just want quiet time to stay in bed if they don't go to school, and don't need or want me hanging around. DS2 did admit though, that it was nice when I came home early the last time he stayed home sick.

I check out the Post Race Tent at Kickrunners, a lot of real crazies there... But mostly I stay active in the Master's Club. Nice for us old farts to have a place to hang.

Happy Camper

Nice marathon Erika!  Congratulations!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

evanflein

Thanks, Bryan. Just read Pam's race report too. You know, if we knew what we were getting into I don't think we'd do half of these stupid things. We all seem to live and run for the time when it all comes together and the day is a good one. I know I had one of those days this past Sunday. If they were all like what I did in June in Seattle, I'd never run another one. Runners have got to be the craziest folks you could ever find.
                            Nice race, Erika!

Pam - that sounds like it was hard -- I know I'd feel bad just without the gu, but with the stomach issues that makes it doubly hard.  You are one tough runner to gut it out like that (so to speak)  Smile

Rest day for me -- will run tomorrow.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hail to The Victors!

Rest day for me too.  Wife hanging in there.  We've determined that good anti-nausea drugs are the bomb, unfortunately she didn't get them this time.  Hard to hold down pills if she runs them right back out again.  We just switched to a different anti-nausea medicine, hope it helps.  Otherwise, they opened a 12 mm wedge in her upper inner shin.   Doc says 6 weeks til partial weight bearing, 12 weeks til full, because of the size of the wedge.

Tomorrow will get out before coming back in to the hospital.  If she's keeping down food, and she can walk, she's going home.  The second isn't a big if (she's been doing PT in advance), the first is. 

Glad to hear everyone's getting out and getting miles in, even Dave!

Kimmie

Hey Jeremy,

sorry to hear your wife is struggling.  It sounds like an ordeal but I know you all will get through it fine.

Good job Dave!  Don't you be a stranger, now.

Had an awesome run with my group tonight... it's tough to go run at 6:30-  right when DH gets home, dinner, etc... but when I go, I always have fun.  I try to line up with the fast people and make it a tempo run, which it was tonight.  Pushed it just a little- 8:30 pace or so for about 6 miles.