Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/12 (Read 246 times)

Hail to The Victors!

4 miles today.   48 hour post op was before that.  We learned several fun things when they unwrapped the ace bandage and removed all of the padding.:

There are 21 staples in my wife's leg.

The surgery did what it was supposed to do: the before and after pics are going to be stunning.  Before, lower leg is curved.  After, straight as an arrow.  Impressive.

Electrical muscle stimulation hurts, especially in muscles tortured by surgery.

Polarpak 300's are the bomb.  Basically a circulation system that runs icewater continuously through a baggie, and you just lay the baggie over the affected area.  Good for 6-8 hours of cooling.  Keeps swelling WAY down.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Jeremy, that sounds excellent -- the leg being straightened out. Also, an ice solution that you don't have to keep changing out with a cold one  out of the freezer sounds good too Smile

I ran through a veteran's home today, and they had those little speed signs that must have a radar gun in them, and display your speed to you -- to encourage drivers to slow down. Well, I discovered they work for pedestrians too. Kinda of funny to be running down the drive and see the speed sign showing 6 or 7 (MPH). Wheee, I run so fast that the radar detector thing works for me Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

Good to hear that the surgery was successful, Jeremy.

Just wanted to wish a speedy marathon to Lou and PDR!

Anyone else racing this weekend?

Still no running for me.  I was some pain in my shoulder yesterday so I will get it checked out today.  Better to rest than make it worse, possibly.

Hay, barn, all of that.

Hope your shoulder is ok, Kimmie -- what'd the doctor say?

2.0 miles, 17:40, 8:45/mi, AHR 134 (69% MHR)

A little windy, but surprisingly not too bad even at 37°.  I wore shorts, long sleeves, no gloves and I was fine.  I was surprised the temps were so low as the forecast was for 5° warmer, so maybe tomorrow will be colder than predicted.  

Tomorrow it will be rainy and windier (28mph w/ gusts to 41mph predicted, with temps 45-50 for the race).  Whatever.  As PDR said, you just gotta laugh.  I'll probably wear tights and long sleeve, not sure if I want another short sleeve shirt or not.  I will wear gloves and ear warmer and take them off if it gets too hot.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Thanks lou.

The doc said it's a strained serratus anterior... yay!   ok, so it should be fine by race day, but I'm not running until there is no pain.  He said that running probably wouldn't make it worse, but you never know.  Weird... don't even know how I did it.

Cold rain again here today, which I guess makes it easier to not run... but I haven't run since Tuesday!!  It is killing me a little bit.

Where is everyone, btw?

Hey Lou, sounds like you have a good attitude about the weather.  Maybe it won't be too bad-  at least it's not hot, right?  I'm sure you know this, but keeping the hands warm, very important.  I wore tube socks over my hands and arms and I loved that trick.

I'm obsessively checking the weather for next weekend... right now, high of 62, sunny... let's hope that goes about 10 degrees down.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

GOOD LUCK LOU AND PDR!!!

LMAO Perry Smile 

Sorry to hear about the Shoulder Kimmie! Hope it's feeling better ASAP! Whenever I have shoulder pain I usually don't run until I have no pain. Of course it's usually deferred pain from my neck.

My hamstring is still feeling a bit tight. I had planned on taking yesterday off however I got a call that my car was ready to be picked up yesterday morning and I really didn't feel like having to deal with that today so I ran to the shop (plus some a little extra) to pick up the car. Got in 6 miles yesterday and 9.2 this morning. Keeping it nice and easy keeps the hamstring happy.  Hopefully things will be back to normal so I can start my speedwork up sometime next week. 

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Jeremy, I hope your wife's recovery is uneventful and she heals up quickly. That sounds like some major work.

GL Lou and PDR! The weather sounds terrible though; I really hate wind. But, you guys have the right attitude, I like PDR's "you've just gotta laugh." She's so awesome. Watch her BQ.

Good to hear the shoulder is nothing major, Kimmie. What are you running next week?

It's cloudy here, sure enjoyed our sunny stretch but it looks to be over. Lots of frost this morning but no snow. I had the kids mow the yard again this week, mainly to clean up the last of the birch leaves but it looks very good now. I don't think we've ever mowed n mid-October before.

Not sure if I'll run or not. Getting kind of late. Our running club's award potluck is tonight at 6:30 so feeling a little crunched for time with all the stuff I want to do around here. I'm liking this "downtime" because I don't really care if I run or not, nice to have no pressure.

Entered Boston the other day...

Thanks, everyone!

We just had our pasta dinner in our cozy apartment across from the finish line.  Nate, Jr is here with his parents and a couple of friends visited as well -- one is running and one is spectating.

I'm a little nervous because we're several miles from the starting line, but dawndaughter1 is driving us so it should be ok.  We're giving 1:15 to get there in case there's some traffic or something, plus we need to settle in.  It'll probably be pouring but what the heck -- we'll be relieved when it starts of course.

evanflein

Baby Nate is just going with the flow. What a cutie. Good luck to you and PDR tomorrow, I hope the weather isn't as bad as today's forecast indicated... 

8 miles today, peppier than I was thinking with average pace of 8:18. It's frustrating in a way... my legs and everything feel good enough to run another marathon NOW. But my right foot is hurting more now after so many rest/easy days. Not sure what is up with that. I truly believe it's better when I run more...

Our outlook is 48°F, 100% chance of rain, 25mph winds, gusts to 37.  I will wear a cap, but I'm not sure for how long Smile.   Don't worry, the wind will only be in our faces from miles 7 to 21

Actually, I really don't have a clue what to wear.  I suspect with my tights, long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt underneath, I may get a bit warm, but the wind on an already soaked body has me thinking I should err on the side of warm rather than cold.

It look much better in Columbus, however, with 34-43° (8-12), 0% chance of rain, 5-9mph winds.  (A lot of our friends are running there).

I thought I'd share a picture of baby Nate, showing some of his new baby-abilities.

Bugs

Jeremey,

Your wife leg sounds painful. Ouch. Hope she is better soon.

Lou,

GOOD LUCK!!! Those conditions, not ideal but you'll do it. Have a great race. Boy little Nate is a cutie. I can't believe how fast he is growing.  Glad he is so healthy.

Erika,

Glad you're getting some nicer weather.

Kim,

Sorry about the shoulder. Yikes, but at least you should make your race.

My trail half marathon went good. Caught a ride with five other triathloners so I heard a lot of bike talk that was over my head but I pretended to be interested though "I just run". The weather was perfect, 40F sunny, very little wind. Some people had shorts on, these people always make me giggle because we all know they'd be more comfortable with tights. I need tights for this weather. I am prepared for 0F and 55F, nothing inbetween. I wore nylon pants and it got uncomfortable around the knees the last few miles. Why just the end, perhaps I was starting to sweat, weird.

I ran very easy because I was told the course was really hlily. The hills were not really that sore but boy did my butt get sore by mile 11. I kept thinking "I bet Erika has an @ss of steel from running those mountains." And these hills were not all that bad. There was one that you could hardly run and not much time lost if you walked, and I did. Worse is some of the downhill, no choice to go slow. There was a guy at mile four that had fallen, thought his ankle was twisted. The goal became not to fall at that point.

Seems I keep ending up running along some girl pack that won't shut-up. These type of runners really annoy me. I'd spint ahead of them so I could see a few feet ahead of me, easier to watch your feet when not running right behind someone. But because I stopped to pee three times we kept ending up back together. My stomach started to cramp the last few miles. I guess tacos the night before was not a good choice. If it had been a 15 mile race or marathon would have been some serious uncomfortable. Stupid, on my part, but still a good race and good tacos so oh well.

All and all a good race, but I like races (like that 10 mile two weeks ago) where I don't run so carefully and you run even those beginning miles very gutsy.  Oh time, 2:02.

Bugs

Kimmie

cute baby pictures!!   Let's all think warm thoughts for Lou and PDR.  I think you're right- better to be a little too warm then cold.  Out of the 7 marathons that I've run, 5 of them were HOT!!- temps in the 70s or higher at the finish, so although I know your weather conditions are not favorable, I would love to try to run colder.

You're going to do great!  Keep posting those baby pictures!

Erika- I believe you about your foot hurting less the more you run.  I have a friend who says that about her knee.

And I'm running Marine Corps Marathon next Sunday in DC.  I keep checking the weather- right now, high of 62.

Bugs-  GREAT RACE!!   Sounds like fun.

I feel fine but probably won't run again today which is making me grouchy.  Smile  Tomorrow will try to get out for a short run.

Have a good one all.

evanflein

...I kept thinking "I bet Erika has an @ss of steel from running those mountains." And these hills were not all that bad. There was one that you could hardly run and not much time lost if you walked, and I did.

Yeah, right, a$$ of steel... that's me. 

Good job on a trail run, dear. And yes, I walk a lot of the steep parts, and sometimes pass some who are trying to hold onto that running "stride." Heck with it, just take a walk break! And yes, you can't have someone right in front of you, that's a sure way to meet the ground up front and personal.

Lou and PDR are done, PW for times but they got it done and are now officially Maniacs!! Woohoo! 

Kimmie, high of 62 may not be too bad, you'll be done before the high temp of the day, right? I agree with you on hot marathons though, they're tough. I think Carlsbad was the hottest, or maybe this past June in Seattle. Yeah, that was the hottest for me, temps in the 70's at the end. Bleh.

I ran 8 yesterday, would like to run 10 today but we'll see. I guess it doesn't matter. I've got to let go of this "total weekly mileage goal" thing if I'm really going to make this "recovery" time work, right?

Dave

Quick checkin for me today.

Sounds like some people have been toughing out some good runs out there.

My sister ran Des Moines HM today.  Took a page out of my book and went out too fast .  8:35 pace through 10K and finished in 2:07.  I'm looking forward to hearing the story of those those few miles...

I got out in some beautiful crisp fall weather this morning for 6 and a little.  Garmin was dead so I ran naked so to speak.  Probably ran it too hard and had some tweakiness in my achilles remaining from my last HM.  Dang I need to run more.

Easy runs, guys.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Ringmaster

Cute baby pics, thanks!

Laughing at the steel imagery . . . I wish I had more hills to practice on . . . I practice not falling on our laughable bridge with 50 feet of elevation. I ran 18 today and felt very sore today. Very sore. Much too sore for just 18, so I took today off, figuring even the easiest recovery run wouldn't do me as well as total rest. Bummer, too, becuase we woke to our first day in the 60s! Yeah for fall!

I'm still waiting to hear race reports. Even if it isn't your best day, running friends can't wait to hear every detail of your race if you're willing to share them, PDR and Lou.

Congrats on your race, Bugs. Sounds like you ran smart. It's tough for me to know how to dress too--I confess to being a compulsive race-day forecast checker, though most of my races have been warm.

Okay, enjoying having the windows open and the a/c off for once. Check back in later. Keep that shoulder well, Kimmie; Erika, I can't believe what you call recovery.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile