Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/1/09 (Read 321 times)

New week; new month.

Quick post as we're packing up to head home.

3.4 miles, 31:13, 9:10/mi, AHR 129 (66% MHR)

See you next from Maryland!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

Hope you and PDR had a great time Lou.

2400 yds in the pool this morning swimming tarzan style.  Took me and hour but at least it's something.  Shoulder felt it some but hopefully I can keep doing it.  Don't think I could pool run for an hour.  workout really kicked my butt.  Need to learn some technique.  I'm just very glad to be able to do something for exercise.  I'm walking much better today and will get off the pain meds asap. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What's tarzan style?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

Tarzan style sounds interesting.  Hmmm.....

A nice easy 4 miles this morning.  Felt good to up the pace a bit.  Now that I'm done with my 3 months of self-imposed LHR base building, I should be able to increase my mileage slightly without any more time on my feet.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Hail to The Victors!

What's tarzan style?

It think's where you swing on a rope over the pool while screaming at the top of your lungs.  Not sure though.  I can see why you'd be out of breath afterward, though, with all of the screaming. 

Today is the first day back after the easy post-marathon week.  Time to get back on the horse and run! 6-8 easy, depending on how I feel.

Dave

I may add a summary later but am more busy this morning than I suspected.

Much more sore than expected too after Saturday's 5K even after taking yesterday off with a BBQ with friends.  Hamstrings are angry.  Quads a little sore. 

Will hopefully steal away for an easy 6 later on.

I think we're going to need another moratorium on injuries.  Starting to hear about quite a few in here.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

YAY  HE DID IT AGAIN lol

Safe trip Lou!

Tarzan style sounds interesting. Hope to hear your healed ASAP Pace!

Enjoy your run Jeremy!

Sorry that your hamstrings are angry Dave! Good luck on your run today!

As for me I got a nice easy 4.2 mile run in. Go figure this trail race was more painfull than anything I've done , well except maybe the 50 miles on asphault in high 90 (over 100 heat index last July and I SWEAR I will never do again lol.l However I get on the roads to run and I feel great. Not completely recovered but not even near how I expected to be feeling.

Today will be day 1 of Kallie's (my dog) couch to 5k program. I think she's healthy enough to start running with me. I figure I'll do a second run today and at the end I'll get her and let her run a half or maybe whole loop of the .4 loop by my house. I hope to be running with her on a regular basis soon. IF anyone's done something like this before I could use any advice you've got! Thanks

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

I got in 12 miles yesterday but the last two were very very hard. I think I ran out of gas. Even with a good breakfast, the key is what you eat the day before and I went to bed hungry and got up "light" so was probably dehydrated, too. Oh well, got my first "long run" done since back to running and got 43.7 for the week.

Cash, I do the "ice bucket" approach usually but haven't done it since last summer. Can't seem to bring myself to doing icebaths in the winter, and the most recent problem I've had responds better to heat. But anyway... do a 10-15 minute soak. And ideally, you'll get out for about 20-30 minutes, then do it again. The alternating cycle is the best, but you've gotta have a lot of ice on hand (and nerves of steel).

Tarzan style... yes I think he owes us an explanation on that one. Ought to be at least as good as Perry's jog-mowing.

How ya doin' Bugs? Hi Kimmie! Hi Pam! Hey is there a new baby out there somewhere yet???

Bugs

Dave,

Take of those hamstrings. I had no idea how important they were until someone snuck in and put glue between them and my fascia. Darn kids.

How ya doin' Bugs?  
                    Chances of not making this marathon are high. I'm just plain hurt. Thinking early retirement.

Bugs

Nice milage Erika!!

((((((BUGS)))))) Thinking of you!!

Well I had planned on running another 3-4 miles tonight with the last .4 or so with Kallie. My daughter Katie wanted to run as well. So Katie ran .4 with Kallie and I ended up doing a full mile with Kallie since she was raring to go. Figured as long as she was running ahead of me that she wasn't too tired. Didn't push my luck with her which is showing now. She's playing with one of her toys with Katie as I type. She needs to run more lol

I'm getting excited  at the thought of  running with Kallie on a regular basis and even including dd as well.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Back home in one piece.

{{{{{bugs}}}}}

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

Tarzan style.  I swim with my head out of the water.  Like this 

My father taught me how to swim before I started school.  I had formal lessons later but always stuck with what I learned first.  Turning your head up out of the water to breathe always seemed awkward.  I feel better today.  I think the swim was good for my back. I plan on getting out there again tomorrow morning if the rain holds off.  Our subdivision has a 60' pool around the corner and down the street from my house.  120 lengths can make you pretty dizzy. I was the only one there at 6:00 AM.

Bugs:  Hang in there.  We'll both get better at the same time.  We have to.  We've paid our entries already.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In water polo we called that heads-up free -- and dude, that's hard work -- I alternate lengths of that with hands-up treading, and I get tired Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cashmason

Thanks Erika !

Tarzan style swimming really sinks your hips and creates a lot more drag,  making it a lot harder to swim any significant distance.   But the breathing is significantly easier.

Once you learn proper technique, keeping flat in the water and turning your head to breathe is not that big a deal,  but until then  breathing is the hardest thing about swimming.

Running with the dog.   If they trail behind you, they are getting tired.  Some will run till their hearts burst, trying to please their owner.  So knowing that them trailing behind you is the first sign of fatigue in a dog, is a good thing.

If a dog learns to run or walk ahead of you,  it is telling you that it is the pack leader and not you, and you will go where the dog goes.    Proper technique is having the dog run beside you on a loose leash,  head about even with or just slightly ahead of your legs.

Will see if I can post a link in the next post.

Cashmason

Cant find the one on running,  but this link talks about how to walk with your dog.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/dogwalk.htm