Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/1/2010 (Read 145 times)

Kimmie

Just got back from a sucky run....

Ran with friends and my heart rate was sky high at a 9:20 pace.... have no idea....

Guessing food?   I ate an apple before I went -  usually I have more than that.

Don't know.... oh well... not sure how that 5K is going to go.

Cash - sorry about the heat.  I was in San Diego day before yesterday and yes it was pretty warm.  Be careful about trying to change your stride.  I thought about it myself because I don't have much knee lift (and therefore not much power to my stride), but I'm afraid to make a change which might cause injury.

Kim - try not to get discouraged about one bad run.  You're fine.

Paul - how'd the 20 miler go?  I had the same reaction as Perry when I read that.

Me?  5 easy miles this morning

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've read some articles about form changes, and Salazar is apparently very heavy on that -- and I think he credits Ritz' recent improvements (eg 5K AR) to improvements. But he also acknowledges that it is risky (risk for injury), and I don't want to the risk, so I don't mess with form, myself.

I also don't pay mind to one or two runs where I feel bad.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

thanks guys.

I guess I just felt REALLY bad, so I was annoyed.  I have been trying to lose weight and not getting it right...cutting calories and being weak for workouts and a little too hungry at times.

So, this morning I will just chalk it up to lack of energy from food.   I was also slightly agitated at my hubby which sometimes makes me run faster, this time I think it drained me.   (deep breath)

5K in the morning that Kevin (TriKev) is organizing.... Zero time goals as I've already had one glass of wine and i'm going out with girlfriends in just a little bit.

I agree with Perry about form, too.... tricky because you want to be efficient, but you also want to run the way that feels natural to you.

Lou- what's next for you?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

5-miler (race) in the morning. Good luck to you and me both Kim - and anyone else racing.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

First in AG -- woohoo!:

AG Trophy

MTA: Yay Kim! (It's her trophy)

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul - how'd the 20 miler go?  I had the same reaction as Perry when I read that.

Well, I didn't do the 20 miler yesterday.  I noticed that I had from about noon until 7p on Saturday between my speaking engagaments at the conference, so I decided to do the 20 miler here at Myrtle Beach.  Just got back, and it was decent.  Ran the first 18 miles at a 9:50 pace, and was pretty heavy-legged at that point (I'm sure that's from the 2 faster workouts I did this week already), so I used the last 2 miles to cooldown by walking the first .15 of each and then running the remainder.

Finished with an avg pace of 9:58 for the entire run.  For me, that's really good.

Perry - nice trophy.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

1st in AG -- nice hardware!

Nice 20, Paul!

Kim, we're running a 10 mile race tomorrow, but neither Harriet nor I have plans to run it fast.

Our next scheduled events are the National half in March, then Boston in April.  We may run something before then, though.  Harriet was talking, half jokingly, about the Las Vegas marathon, but I doubt that will happen.

4 easy miles for me this morning

Kimmie

Perry stole my picture from Facebook!   (insert cute and clever retort here)

I placed 1st in my AG this morning-   First in a long time.... mostly because a 25:15 won't win you anything in the bigger races.  But there were 30 something women in my age group.

Course was hilly and it continually reminds me that I need to work hills.   But all in all, I was happy with that.  Kevin put on a great race.

Worth the drive and I am actually proud of my trophy.    Smile    I know many races give you a gift certificate, but a trophy is kind of cool,too.

Paul- Great job on the 20!

Lou- which race are you guys running?

thinking of Erika- is her race tomorrow?

Kim - the YMCA in Frederick is hosting a 10 miler, this is the first year for it: http://frederickymca.org/?p=2872 .  The funny thing is, because of the proximity to the Marine Corps Marathon last week, we didn't really think seriously about it until we saw the medals.  These medals have a bottle opener for the hole where the ribbon runs through. Smile

Yes, Erika's race is today, Manchester, NH, I believe: http://cityofmanchestermarathon.com/

(I'm a regular font of information this morning, aren't I? Smile )

MTA: 74:26 (unofficial) for me -- Harriet ran 88:38 -- both of us were only 2 minutes off our PR pace.  I thought this was a PW for me, but forgot a 10 miler I ran in Feb and decided not to count as a "race" because I was injured.  So other than that it is a PR, but other than that I only ran 3 - 10 milers.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Gonna post a photo of the medal? Smile

So how was the course -- it was Frederick, so I suppose it was hilly?

Gonna post a photo of the medal? Smile

So how was the course -- it was Frederick, so I suppose it was hilly?

Too lazy to get out my camera.  The cartoon version of the medal is here: http://frederickymca.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Medal.pdf .  I have to say it is much nicer than the one from Freedom's Run Marathon, even though the Freedom's Run medal is supposed to be period-authentic (or maybe because it is).

The course was touted to be flat and fast, and it was.  You can see the route and elevation profile here: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/db816ba95fe7403490ba401d30cb44ae/workouts/843a92e4b3514c96af3a69b3a4afa33f/map .  Most of the hills were very gentle, worst I remember being around 8.5 on the bridge over US15.

Some of the lead runners missed the turn onto Council St about 0.9M into the race, and it took them 1/2 mile out of the way.  Many of them passed me near the end, though, and I think one of them won the race anyway.

Kimmie

Sounds like a fun race, Lou.

Had a really great easy 4 miles this morning-  beautiful sunshine on the lake.   Smile