Marathon Trainers

February 2013 (Read 22 times)

And things looked so promising for the group in December...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hi Marathon Trainers!

WillRun, thanks for starting the thread! February is short, better not let it get away from us!

Just had a somewhat crappy 20 today, it was a big group run put on by the Georgia Marathon people and was a pace group run so the marathon pacers were there, running near marathon pace. I started out trying to stay with them, but my legs were too tired, and I was practically crawling by the end. Not too hard to understand I guess, as the 7-day rolling run total in the RA log has me at 68 miles right now, pretty unfamiliar territory for me mileage-wise. So I'll back off a bit on the mileage, planning a shorter MP run on my own next week, but before that several easy days in a row. Other than that, generally pretty pleased with how my training's been going?

How's everyone else?

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

Hey, Swift -- I, too, did a 20 miler today to finish my week, but only 59 miles -- still a big week for me.  Yeah, 68 is a lot of miles in 7 days.

evanflein

I think 68 miles is my PR week... from maybe two years ago? My runs have been pretty short recently. I called last Sunday's 10 miler a "long run," so that tells a lot. Today I had two goals: 12 mile long run, or enough to get me over 40 for the week. So... let's just say today was not my day for the longest run in a loooong time. Pulled the plug after 8.1 miles, so got goal #2. This is my 10th day running in a row, which is also unusual for me, even with most runs being under 6-8 miles. Trying to get my endurance back and finding it not an easy job. What got me today was not just tired legs, but a breeze I wasn't expecting so wasn't dressed right. Stupid, right?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Bit of a cold so canceled the group run I had planned, and only did 3 today. Slightly discouraging to read a FB thread by other people racing the same marathon about their successful long runs today.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

My training hit a snag in mid-Jan. Hurt my calf and it took about 3-4 weeks to recover.  Not sure what I did, but 3 runs last week with no pain, so that's good.  Of course, any fitness I'd worked towards during the training feels shot.  I'm still planning to do the full on March 9, but my hopes for a PR and sub-4 feel unreachable at this point.  Still trying to figure out the best strategy for running the race.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

....  I'm still planning to do the full on March 9, but my hopes for a PR and sub-4 feel unreachable at this point.  Still trying to figure out the best strategy for running the race.

I have no idea what the answer is, but maybe try increasing length easy runs once every 3-4 days, then taper the last 4 days? (Just a wild guess.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Yeah, I don't have much to add to Perry's suggestion. Good luck with that though. Poorly timed owies are a real annoyance and drag on the training plans!

I'm still barely getting what I consider respectable mileage in. I feel fine for runs of 5-6 miles, but anything over 8 feels like a real effort. And I'm so tired of the treadmill, you just have no idea. So... it's warmed up enough to be about +10° after work today, and it's light till after 6 (yay!) so I brought all my gear (which is like packing a suitcase) for a run after work! I have no idea how far, but it'll be at least 5 with some hilly parts. I won't be able to run tomorrow because of work stuff (up early for trip to Anchorage, meetings all day, dinner with consultant right after) so this will be my "Wednesday" run. Not sure about the rest of the week, I don't get home till Thursday night but hope to fit in something in the morning. Friday is dinner after work with DH and a friend, so geez, probably no run that day either. Oh well...

Hey, it's almost March!!

yapper: Good luck for your race on 3/9. Hope you are still running without pain.

I'm tapering now for my marathon on 3/17. Planning a medium-long run tomorrow on a good part of the course, hopefully some of it at MP. I'll be running most of the rest of the course on Saturday with my training group, then I have a 10K Sunday, which I'll use to help decide what pace to go out at. Trying to plot my pacing strategy for the hills. Training has gone pretty well, and I think I'm close to as good marathon shape as I've ever been in--but it's not a fast course.

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

Hey all.  I figured last day of February so I had better get a comment in.  Smile

No idea on the race pacing, Paul -- but take your time -- you're not looking at a PR for this one.

I had a great run this morning.  Not sure where that came from.  I had some niggling problem which was bothering me so I took it easy at a race on Sunday, took Monday off, ran just medium long on Tuesday (not tempo per plan) and after that the problem was gone.  Horay for me.

Today's run:

12.4 miles, 1:42:48, 8:19/mi, AHR 151 (74% MHR)
                      5@8:45(142), 2@8:15(148), 5.35@7:57(159)

Good luck in your races swift and Paul, in case I don't post before them

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks for all the advice/encouragement on the marathon.  I'm still doing it (quite stubbornly, I might add) but have no crazy plans for any kind of time.  I know I won't be PR'ing and so I'm planning on enjoying it.  Been playing around with some run/walk strategies.  Looking forward to a marathon where I just walk if I want to and not just because I'm about to fall over.  Course closes after 6 and a half hours, so I guess that's my time goal. Wink

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul