Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/30 (Read 221 times)

Sometimes I'm so brain dead when it comes to myself. Here I've been wondering about my feet being so cold and falling asleep for the past half a week and I actually know why and I should have never even wondered about it *sigh*. I've had problems with my circulation my whole life. Running has made a HUGE difference in that. I've said before that I literally need to run to feel healthy. Now that I'm not running I'm feeling the effects of my poor circulation. Also that has a MAJOR impact on how fast or slow I heal. The one thing Ken HAD been really good at was rubbing my legs and feet to help the circulation (after most races after any type of injury)  UNTIL now. However he has told me that he will be rubbing my legs out each night before bed.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Pam,

Ever used one of those electric stim machines? They are suppose to increase circulation.

Dave,

Work sucks every where these days, the only thing that sucks worse is not having a sucky job to go to.

It snowed, plenty. How do I run on snow again? I can't remember.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ugh, best of luck with the snow. It hit 60s here today and I was surprised to actually feel hot.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Back from Saskatoon Wednesday, this is the first chance I had to post.  A little trouble with the water heater yesterday took up some extra time in the morning 

Anyway, didn't run Wednesday as I had to make a 6:40am flight and even I don't get up at 2:30 to run.  But I did have a good one yesterday, in most excellent weather - I think it was 51°F.  (Those Canadians talk in °C and we were constantly converting back/forth in our heads).

9.2 miles, 1:15:35, 8:11/mi, AHR 156 (76% MHR)

And I'll add today's recovery run when I get back.

MTA: 3.1 miles, 28:58, 9:12/mi, AHR 131 (64% MHR)

Snow?  Yuck.  We're supposed to get a little accumulation on Saturday.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Yep I've used an estim before Bugs. I BEGGED for treatments with one when I broke my collarbone in 2 places (it took about a year to heal instead of the 6/8 weeks) but that was a no go (I'll never understand why the doctor wouldn't) Anyway when I injured my neck they did the estim on it every physical therapy session. I think it helped. Wish I had my own machine *sigh*

Sorry about the snow Bugs, I am soooooooooooo NOT looking forward to when we get some. Ours SUCK! Ya can't do a damn thing with it it's so hard/dry and then it's usually so cold and windy that the kids can only handle being out for a few minutes. 

Hi Lou Smile

Perry YOU SUCK Wink

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

Nice 6 miler with a new running friend.   It's still not easy but not as hard either.  I didn't make the Dr. appointment yet- need to-  someone please stay on me about that.... what a baby I am.

Pam- so sorry you're having trouble.   Watch some movies or read and prop that foot up!    but I do understand the being on your feet all day thing.

Lou- glad you're back.... you're way too much of a staple around here and missed when you're not posting.

Bugs-  let us know how running in the snow goes.

My girls have their Girls on the Run 5K tomorrow.  I'm thinking about how Darby will do.  She is ready, I think.  I don't know if I have her take walk breaks or not.  I think she can run the whole thing without walking... just keeping her at a steady pace will be challenging.   I will be crying tomorrow, probably, at the finish.   She ran a one miler with me when she was 5 years old.   I  just loved how every time I told her she was doing a good job, she said- you're doing a good job, too, Mom!  Smile

evanflein

Kim. Call the doc. Now.
                Kimmie

Thanks Erika!  I did.  Made an appointment for 2 weeks from now, as soon as they could see me.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Go Girls on the Run -- hope it is a blast.

Presumably I'll see the snow a little while after Lou does....

Ran 5 in 35°, big flakes, a little wind, but snow only sticking to grass and runners Smile.  I did run in shorts, which was fine.

I just discovered Pandora internet radio -- just getting started, but so far so good.

5.1 miles, 45:51, 8:58/mi, AHR 138 (67% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

Home for the weekend and finding out how cold it is in Michigan.  Who knew? 

5 on the treadmill this morning with some intervals thrown in for good measure.  Back on the road again Monday.  Hoping to get a solid 10 in tomorrow again or at least 6 to round out another 20+ mile week.  

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Go Girls Go!  Hope the 5k was fun Kimmie.

It was colder this moring.  Raced 5k downtown. 

Jingle Bells 5k 
                          Type Distance Time Total Time Pace Avg HR Max HR Notes
                          Interval 1 Mi 7:20.39 7:20.39 7:21 161 176  
                          Interval 1 Mi 7:40.97 15:01.36 7:41 167 174  
                          Interval 1 Mi 7:35.49 22:36.85 7:36 173 176  
                          Interval 0.13 Mi 0:49.22 23:26.07 6:19 178 209

Did okay for me and felt more like a tempo run than a race.  It was my 4th 5k race this year. 

Previous times were:

12/5/2009

Jingle Bells 5k

23:26
                          5/9/2009

Jay Dix 5k

23:32
                          3/14/2009

St. Patricks 5K

23:54
                          2/7/2009

Nut Race 5k

23:52

I'm within a minute of my PR.  A little more determination with the poundage and perhaps I can get the weight and the PR lowered in 2010.  I have been weezing this week during the first part of runs with all the colder air.  Thankfully than did not happen this morning in spite of it being the coldest morning all week. 

Snow bug must be biting.  We have it in the forecast also. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Lou,

I can't believe you ran in shorts in 35F yikes.

Dave,

What is the temp there?

P2R,

Good Job on the 5K. Most people could never come close to their 5K from the summer. The air is usually harder to breath in, and people are running less. Looks like you had pretty even miles. That middle one is the hardest, you got pretend it is your last, and pass people. Then you just gut it out the last mile. I'm running a four mile next weekend. Not sure what my strategy for that will be, but I know how to pace these 5Ks and it aint pretty.

15F some ice out that slowed us down a bit. 9 miles easy w. RP , and then ran 8:32, 8:27, 8:13, 8:06, 8:05, 8:09. 

Total 15 miles avg pace 8:48, Purring like a happy kitten now. (I wore nylons, with fleece jogging pants. Nylons are so much more comfortable than under armour. At 0F and I will need more warmth on the legs unless running all fast.

Bugs

Dave

Mid 20's.  I only ran inside because my daughter had a class at the gym.

It just feels bitter.  This is our first year in the house and I'm finding the windows do a better job at keeping out noise than cold.  

Great job on the 5K Pace.  That was some max heart rate in that last mile.  Yikes!

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I heard they called off our snow forecast, but it sleeted on me not long ago -- when I was walking, I did my running this morning when it was warm -- funny when the high is at 0700. I ran a Jingle Bell 5K this morning too -- yay for us Jingle Bellers Smile