Marathon Trainers

January 2013 (Read 146 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Tried to spell the month correctly so I don't embarrass myself.

Got tired of trying to run 10mi every day, but hopefully will get back excitement soon. Definitely want to continue MP runs at least once a week, Hanson plan style.

Happy New Year!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I looked briefly at the Hanson plan, and it looks kinda low mileage to me.  But like I said, it was only a brief look.  I actually got the book for Christmas, but haven't opened it yet -- all I know is from looking at a plan on their web site.

Still plodding along on the Pfitzinger plan, not sure what week I'm in, but we're starting to ramp up a bit.

Finished the year well, with 2449 miles -- some of you probably saw this on my FB page.

So where did all the RWOL folks disappear to?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The Hansons plan that I saw on some website had a ratio next to each week -- I gathered that you picked your max mileage week, and then used the ratio to determine the mileage for each week.

So if you chose to peak at 90, and the week said 0.90, then you run 81 miles that week.

I hadn't seen one like that before.

PS: No snow for us, Lou. Which is fine with me.

evanflein

Hey guys! Happy new year! Things were rocking around here in December but seem to have quieted down a bit in January, although it's just the 3rd. This is a short work week for me, but so far it seems like it's been loooonnnggg. Waah. At least the temperatures aren't bad and should stay nice for the weekend.

Haven't looked at Hanson plans, and have heard about the Pfitz plans (mainly from Lou and others) but haven't looked into them. I've had great success in the past just fiddling with the basic format of the Higdon Intermediate II plan, adding some miles and variety such as hills and tempos, but keeping the basic structure (Tues/Thurs are similar length, shorter runs, Wed/Saturday are harder, longer runs with Long run on Sunday) because it seems to have worked for me. Now in my new job I'm finding it difficult to get in that longer mid-week run, especially in the winter, so might have to adjust yet again.

We've had a really warm end to December/start to January so that's been nice with all the carpy cold we've had this winter. I ran 13.1 on Monday and 12.1 on Tuesday to get me to 1,900 for the year (and first 25 mile "weekend" since before Equinox). Had to do something on the 1st to start the year off so ran 6 and change on the hilly roads by my house. Took yesterday off but put in 10 hours at work (bleh). Hope to run 5 or so tonight.

Looking at a marathon in Colorado in May because DH will be there for work meetings and I still need CO for my collection.

theyapper

On the road again...

Happy New Year!

Lost a week of running to the flu, but my first run back was yesterday and went well.  Glad to be out on the road again.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

MP (marathon pace) runs:    (My goal MP is 6:53)

Today did 8mi @ 6:41 avg (after 2mi w/u)

I thought today was my longest, but misremembered - two weeks ago did 8.5 @ 6:48 avg after 7mi w/u.

Tired afterward, but I could have pushed it out some more -- good thing, as I want to try 10 next, probably next week.

Recovering from the flu as well. Was pretty sick from about Dec 23-27. Still very congested but finally getting energy back. Hated not getting a good start to the year--but hopefully I can do well the rest of the month. Plan on getting a few miles in starting tomorrow.

Hi everyone! Happy New Year! I (one of the RWOL folks) joined this group a while back and introduced myself, then I didn't post again for a while. So, hi again! Sorry to hear some of you were sick. I had a cold before Christmas but not enough to keep me from running (I also had a horrible black eye from a faceplant I did during a tempo run.). Glad to here y'all are feeling better.

I'm now training for the Georgia Marathon on 3/17. I wanted to finally try a Pfitz plan, but I had committed to some group runs that didn't seen to mesh with his schedule. So I made my own plan. It's visible in my log in case anyone would like to comment or offer suggestions. I've had to build the schedule around the existing plan for the Saturday group runs, so this plan has fewer 20+ mile runs than I've typically done (which this time I'm ok with, since I think last time I did too many, which maybe wasn't good for the rest of my training).

As far as the Hanson plans, I have not read the book yet, but I got the impression they have plans at different mileage levels, especially the ones you purchase on the website.

evanflein, which marathon in CO are you looking at, the one in Fort Collins that a lot of people PR at?

I will be better at posting now that I'm actually training for a marathon.

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

theyapper

On the road again...

Funny, I only missed one long run due to the flu, but it felt like it had been months since my last one.  Today's plan called for a bit over 2 hours, and it was nice to finish it still feeling good.  I think I'm finally back from the sickness.

Welcome back, NTS, and don't worry about posting sporadically.  We're really good at that, so much so that weekly threads became monthly threads.  Now, if they become yearly, we've got a problem. Big grin

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Happy New Year!  I've been too busy for the past week and I forgot to check in here.  Boo hiss.

Running has been going well.  My first marathon for 2013 is this weekend during the Disney Goofy.  So I'm excited about getting 2013 started!

Today is an SRD for me.

Hope everybody is doing well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Good luck, DR.  Have fun!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What's an SRD? (Some type of running day)

And, have fun at Disney!

Did 5mi w/u and 10mi at MP tonight.

DW did 7mi of the MP with me - not contiguous, but still, that's 7mi with breaks at faster than her 10K PR pace, I think, so clearly she has a 10K PR waiting for her. Her 10K PR is at a fun 10K we did last autumn which is run on a (small) mountain - up, then down - guaranteed negative split Smile

evanflein

Perry, SRD = Scheduled Rest Day

Some people schedule them, others just have them happen to them!

How'd you do at Disney, Docket? I enjoyed that marathon even though it's my infamous "forgotten timing chip" marathon. Well, I enjoyed it once I got over the trauma of realizing I'd forgotten my chip at the hotel. The only problem with the race itself is it starts so damn early and it's dark and crowded in the beginning miles. I stumbled on rough asphalt a few times.

Nice running with DW, Perry. When's the next race?

Not much running for me lately. I've been sick. Bleh. "Just" a cold, but it's really knocked me for a loop and I just feel wiped out. And coughing. Like I said, bleh.

Yeah, DR -- how'd it go?

Next run for me will be in San Diego, Sunday morning.  Heading out there to help take care of the 3 month old grandkid so mom (Harriet's daughter) can get back to work and keep him out of day care for another month.  I'll be coming back after 2.5 weeks, but Harriet will be there for the month.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

E: I'm targeting our local marathon in March. DW hasn't picked any targets, except she is supposed to start training for ultra running sometime before this summer.  Hope you bounce back from that cold shortly.

L - hope you get some fun grandkid times, and some running in - should be nice weather out there, right?