Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/26 (Read 258 times)

Dave

9:23 and my morning meeting has been cancelled so I'm checking in with you guys. 

Hope Kimmie is recovering well from her marathon and Perry is safely back on the east coast where he belongs. 

On the not working out part, good for you, Erika.  A little recovery goes a long way.

I may try and get a few miles in on the treadmill at the hotel tonight.  Short trip to Wisconsin (does anyone actually take long trips to Wisconsin?).  May be in DC briefly at the end of the week.  Good times...

MTA:  Mileage summary from last week and commentary added.

pace2race 80.5 Mi 13:42:11
    AmoresPerros 73.4 Mi 10:00:57
    HuskerB 50.4 Mi 7:50:11
    rockenmamof5 45.1 Mi 6:51:17
    VixiDu 37.5 Mi 5:50:27
    jhallum 35.9 Mi 4:51:35
    Kimmie 33.2 Mi 5:18:42
    willamona 30.9 Mi 5:44:14
    WillRunForBeer 30.6 Mi 4:34:00
    lilcat19 27.6 Mi 4:23:10
    dgb2n 24.1 Mi 3:32:50
    dcv2002 21.4 Mi 3:11:32
    evanflein 12.2 Mi 1:42:54
    Cashmason 5 Mi 45:21
    Bugs 0 Mi 0:00
    Mr Inertia 0 Mi 0:00
    Murphy996 0 Mi 0:00
    theyapper66 0 Mi 0:00

Very interesting mileage week with Bryan and Perry being our mileage leaders.  Speaking of which, holy smokes, HuskerB (Brian) is cranking some big mileage.  He's got a new baby too some I'm wondering what race he's training for (awesome job by the way).

I'm expecting big things with Yapper's first marathon coming up.  Bugs runs, she just doesn't update her log anymore .

Let's face, it the only reason I'm even posting the summary is because this was my first week over 20 miles since I moved to Michigan (yeah!).

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

It's good to be home.  It was even nicer to run - 5 easy miles this morning.

It looks like a lot went on while I was gone - sorry to see you had stomach issues, Kim, but great race anyway.  Nice to see you running again, Dave, and what's up with never posting summaries on all the weeks I ran 40+ miles but then doing it on the one week I ran 0??!?  

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers last week.  India is one dirty, crowded place but it's full of beautiful people.  The medical team I travelled with saw 2,200+ people at free clinics in 5 days.  Even though I'm non-med, I even got to clean and bandage some wounds, which was cool.  Very glad to be home - not running for close to 2 weeks this close to the marathon made me nervous, but it was for a great cause.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Yeah, the people we work with in India are top-notch, but I always say, Delhi is like New York City, but dirty Smile .  I'm not quite sure why prayers are needed to go there, but glad you made it back ok, and just in time for taper.

I notice Dave didn't "do" any of my big weeks either Wink

3.1 miles, 28:33, 9:08/mi, AHR 131 (67% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

cool!  An update!!!

I always wonder when I write about a marathon that went bad if it sounds like whining and excuse making....

"I didn't get my goal, but you don't understand!  I had MAJOR stomach problems!!  It's not my fault!! "  Smile    Or something like that.

Hopefully it doesn't sound that way... only want to share about the good ones, but the bad ones make us stronger?  I see on FB Dave is thinking about running another 'thon just in time for me to think about quitting.

Don't hold me to this, but I think I'm going to take some significant time off.  I've never done this after a marathon before.  Usually, at the most 2 days and I'm back out there.  This time, I'm considering three weeks.  I want to get the LOVE back. Smile

Paul-  how did you feel during your run?  I'll bet you lost very little fitness while in India.

evanflein

Kimmie, I know what you mean, and it might help. And you know what? I bet after a week or so you'll want to get back to it. I've been taking some time off but mainly to get my foot settled down after so much running in August and September. I've wanted to run, but maturity might be stepping in there somewhere (gah!). You know, the turning 50 and all that, might need to start acting like a grown up.

But I don't wanna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I tell ya, I'd love to have run 30 miles this weekend. But I do think DH likes having me hang around the house.

And no, what you said about your race is definitely not whining. (see the above stuff? That's whining)

And yeah, Dave never posted summaries on my 60+ mileage weeks, either.

(teasing you Dave, thanks for starting us out and the summaries. I think it's good for us to all see what we've been up to. Always impressed by Bryan's mileage and would sure be nice to know what Brian is up to!)

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul-  how did you feel during your run?  I'll bet you lost very little fitness while in India.

I felt pretty good.  Maybe a bit sluggish, but more due to the travel than anything else.  Of course, we did work from sun-up to sun-down over there...

Paul

Hawt and sexy

Wow.  I guess that means I need to update my log.

I am 29 again.  Ugh.

I'm touching your pants.

theyapper

On the road again...

Just got my participant booklet for the Richmond race...

Bib #3628 starting in Corral #3.  Oooh, this is getting excited.

Paul

Hey Dave nice to see you checking in so often and thanks for the update! Glad to see you're getting some running in

Ya know Kimmie I think it's important to write about the bad as much as the good. I know when I wrote about mine (stomach issue's were my fault) it was more about first off,  sharing mistakes I made in hopes others learn and don't make them on their own and second that no matter how many marathons you do there's always a lesson to be learned. It's also theraputic in a way to get it out on "paper" (at least for me)

Welcome home Paul!! 

Hey Amanda Smile

Wonder how Vix is and if she did the 5k . Guess I should go stalk some logs lol

As for me I got  a little over 9 miles in today. Garmin is dead so I'm stuck doing routes that I know how long they are, which is very few. I don't like not having the freedom to just go out and run and not worry about figuring out how far I ran. Maybe one year they'll have my neighborhood  on google map .

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

This is getting exciting, TY!  According to their website 18 Days 02:48:09. Yikes! Smile

7.1 miles, 57:51, 8:09/mi, AHR 154 (79% MHR)

Steady rain.  50° but it felt cooler than that.

Checked official race results and my time was 23:56. Denise's DH told me I was sub 24 but I didn't think so. I guess when checking out the paper from the timing machine I took someone else's time. Oh well. So I was 2 out of 26 in my age group and Denise was 6th out of 29 (and she was  17th out of 186 woman). Damn we kicked some ass.  Oh and for the last mile not one person passed us ( I think lol) I have to say I'm itching to race a 5k for myself!

Hope every body enjoys the day. It's raining here and cold. Nice to to relax and read a book. I just might do that.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

Rocken - that was some race.  Great job.  I'd love to see your time when you do race one by yourself.

I got 6.1 in today.  Really felt good, although the HR data seems a bit high.  Actually, a good bit higher than the same course just a few weeks ago.  Didn't feel like I was pushing at all, so may just be a wonky Garmin thing.  Who knows.

Paul

Ringmaster

No, against everyone's advice I did not run the 5k. The friend I'm running the half with suggested we do a pace long run instead, and so we did that. It was hard to hold the pace down under nine miles because it was dark a lot of the time we were running, but I haven't felt so smooth and fluid in one of my long runs in a long time.

Sad, too, because after tomorrow I'll be in that 35-39 age group which in my neck of the woods is super competitive. In the 30-34 group I sometimes snagged a second- or third-place AGA but I doubt I'll see one of those for a few years. These women are fast!

Ran long intervals Monday--mile and a half. Felt tough the first two repeats but came much easier third and fourth time. Whew! Gotta get some confidence built in as the half gets closer.

Great time in your 5k, Pam! Makes me wonder what I could accomplish with a fellow Blister pacing me in the marathon in February . . .

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

Kimmie

Going on 2 whole days off after the marathon.  don't know how long it will last.  I will rest again tomorrow but by Thursday I might be going crazy... all this rain around here helps to take the time off.

I'm more sore than I've ever been after ANY marathon... I thought my training was pretty solid but maybe it wasn't... or maybe feeling sick leaves you more sore than you would normally be.  Hmm.....

Kicking around that idea of a redemption race...  but really the only option for that is Richmond and that's really soon.

Erika- you are too funny... your whining sounded so much better than mine!!!  WAH!!!

Lou- what's next for you guys?  You're like a machine, cranking out the 8 minute miles like it's nothing.

Paul- maybe the heart rate being up is just adjusting to being back here and getting back to it.

I remember that you are running Richmond in honor of your brother.  Are friends doing it with you?

Vixi- have we covered the fact that I'm from south Florida?  I miss it but I think that if I moved back down there, I would be so hot.  I've really gotten used to the cooler weather up here in Virginia.

What race are you doing again?

Hope it's Ok if I check in even if I'm not running.... this is kind of a forced lay off.  Just to avoid the burnout.    This may not be an exact number, but I'm pretty sure that in 5 years of consistent running, I've never taken more than about 5 days off, which I know if true for many of you too.... so, maybe I can hold out 3 weeks, we'll see.

I want to run Boston well and I know training for that will need to start pretty soon.  I am rethinking Disney... who really wants to run another mega marathon?

Lou- what's next for you guys?  You're like a machine, cranking out the 8 minute miles like it's nothing.

Hey, Kimmie, thanks for the kudos.  We have a turkey trot 5K but other than that nothing planned until Boston.

Nice race, Pam!