Marathon Trainers

Week of 22 - 28 Sept 2008 (Read 299 times)

Dave

Peach, way to hang in there for 6. No harm in a little common sense on a bad day. MrI, which race did you watch? 11 and change for me today with the first 5 at 10 miler pace. Not sure I can hold that for a full 10. We'll see next saturday. Shoes felt pretty good. Hope your 20 went well, Kimmie. Easy miles to all...

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Dave, The 'race' sort of sucked, like running as fast you can through traffic. I hope you're right about the knee pain caused by the neutral shoes. I'm a stability shoe runner too. You will be able too hold that pace easier in a race, just don't do to much fast running this week. Inertia, You forgot "have fun while running" on your list. The mid-packers have the most fun don't you think? I always say that it is because we're not worried about winning or not finishing. Murphy, The men division are always more competieve, much easier to place as a woman. My struggle is I'm not always sure how many woman are ahead of me. I love passing those young runners. You know their thinking, "You're too old to beat me." Usually they don't have enough miles in to hold that pace. Peach, What happend in the run? Do you guys watch the shelf date of your shoes? Apparently their only good for 6 months. Too tempted to wear some of the old ones so I recently cleaned house and got rid of old ones. Glad to be done with them. That said, I'll need new shoes soon, but am good for marathon. My ankle feels better today. We'll be able to run 8 later.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Finished out a nice week of running for me. Ran the 1/2M course yesterday. Nice 8 at easy pace this morning. I'll have a bit of a challenge next Sunday. Had I remembered I would not have entered the 1/2. I have a watch party to attend for the Nebraska game. Mizzou hasn't beaten them in Lincoln since 1978. All signs point to a major beat down this year to be delivered by the Tigers. Last year the 1/2 was the Sunday after the Nebraska game in Columbia. The course goes past and around the stadium, through the parking lots. People were still tailgating. It looke like Detroit the morning after Halloween, minus the overturned, burning cars. This year there is a two day blues fest that ends Saturday night downtown that we will be running through the aftermath. There are over 200 entries already for the 1/2. It will be interesting to see how many blues' fest and football casulties there are Sunday morning. Bugs: Good idea on the 6 month rule. I always worry about hanging on to shoes that have been soaked alot from running in the rain. Think it hurts the cushioning, even drying them out with an electric fan. Mine always get turned over from mileage before the 6months hits. Dave: Glad the knee is better. MrI: Nice picks at Kick. Looks like Akron was a fun time.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Cause I CAN

bugs it was hot and foot was hurting....should have my new shoes monday.
          Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
          http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
            Ended up doing 6 tonight. Got an 11:00 am call to go to the Browns/Bengals game..so kinda went screwy on the schedule. As it turns out 6 was probably the right distance for me. Ran it pretty consistently and felt about the right amount of tired. Also dug more holes and planted more bushes. I just change out my shoes when they look worn or at 500 miles. Usually they are worn way before 500 miles for me. I dont know how I wore my previous pair as long as I did. THey were so worn, I cant ebven walk in them now. My current pair was purchased in February..but do to my lack of running this year, have less than 300 miles on them.

Cause I CAN

Murphy I currently have 2 pairs, one is 2 years old and the other is a year old...yes I should have gotten new shoes sooner but these things are so damned expensive..and believe it or not wasnt having issues till recently...but did order new ones, should be here tomorrow or better be. got a question for you guys....probably an odvious answer that I should know but anyway, when I run a race or a training run, I start out having a good pace and doing great but somewhere near the end, its like I give out...not on purpous. I don't know why I do this, its not like I dont think I can do it or anything. Usually its either I feel like its hard to breath (usually happens when I run 400 or 800) or legs get sore, during long runs.

Dave

Peach, I think it just comes down to your fitness level. On the 400/800 you're pushing hard enough that your effort is anaerobic. Basically that just means that your muscles create energy without oxygen and you can only keep that up for a certain period of time before you get out of breath and your legs may get tired. When you do long runs, you're mostly aerobic which uses the oxygen from your breathing to power your muscles. Over long periods of time, just the pounding can make your legs sore and you can get weary as your body burns through the glycogen (basically sugar) that powers your running. Good article here: http://www.doctorsexercise.com/journal/aerobic.htm

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cause I CAN

My time in the 400 last games was 1:51 and this time it was 1:34 and I felt like I was dying during the last 100 meters of it...the long runs, I can breath fine...soreness usually slows me down...I was just wondering if there was something I could do to block this out

Dave

Which, the short or the long run pain? Answer is unfortunately the same. Run more. Speedwork for the shorter distances (striders and interval repeats) and piles of slow miles for the longer distances. 1:34 is an awesome 400 though. Smile

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cause I CAN

Both...so this isnt anyting mental? I just wrote my friend, he said Its my pacing that I am not leaving enough for the end....

Oh Mighty Wing

Both...so this isnt anyting mental? I just wrote my friend, he said Its my pacing that I am not leaving enough for the end....
                        Even with that the answer would be the same.