Marathon Trainers

7/21 - 7/27 (Read 162 times)

Cashmason

10 miles is AWESOME Shan! btw 3 shot block "thingies" = 1 serving. Take a sip of water with them as they are concentrated carbs. Luna a company that markets mostly to women makes Luna Moons. Same as shot blocks but about half the size of a shot block and in the shape of a crescent moon. Only 3 flavors and none with caffeine in them yet. They also make Luna bars which I like best of all the energy bars. Yes I buy stuff from a company that markets to women. One of my very few Metro tendencies.
    evanflein

Shan, that 10 miles is awesome! Congratulations! And you might want to try the luna moon things. I got some from a friend who is a "Luna Chick" distributor... the one problem I have with those things (blocks, moons, sport beans, etc) is they get stuck in my teeth and I really don't like that. That's why I use the Gu products... sorta "gooey" and sticky, but I can get it all down. 10 miles for me, too... Plan was 9 but the route I wanted to use is 10 out and back so what the heck. I might "only" do 18 tomorrow and definitely slower than today's run. 8:15 avg pace today on hilly ups and downs, with miles 4, 5 and 8 at about HM pace. Mile splits: 8:15, 8:03, 8:49, 7:51, 7:55, 8:03, 8:19, 7:41, 8:54, 8:39. Now it's time for laundry, making a marinade for the salmon, weeding the garden and general puttering around the house. I love doing that... could do it days on end (ha, and still not run out of stuff to fix, clean, straighten, sort, put away, etc, etc).

Oh Mighty Wing

Thanks!!! I'll have to try those Luna products and goo - i'll have to play around with it all. I like luna bars I think they are yummy.
        Cashmason

Just finished 7 miles. ( Yes I took a shower before I logged on here). Sweat smells like ammonia. Yes boys and girls that means I was burning protein for fuel. Body ran out of useable fats and carbs, so switched over to protein. So made a protein shake and drank that. Note to self, eat more carbs before you run, so you body burns carbs not muscle for fuel.

Dave

Cash, that sounds awful. Not sure I've ever come close to experiencing that. I think I've got far too much fat to burn off. 14 miles for me in 2:10 this AM. 79F and 80% humidity. Actually didn't feel all that bad after the 90's we've been having. 2 gel packs with caffeine helped push me along towards the end. Felt good to get back on track with a long run.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Cash, Why do they market to woman? Oh, because we're suckers and buy way more than we need. I use GU, easy to carrry and easiest on my sensitive tummy. Shan, Great work on the 10. At that distance it was probably more not enough water than running out of glycogen. That or your body was just tired from running a new distance. Awesome 20 yesterday. 60-67F, mostly flat but a few hills in there. Ran 6.5 by myself, then 10 with a friend. We averaged 9:06. Then I finished alone. Finished with .5 mile hill that almost made me cry. Avg pace 9:22. A pretty fast 20 but it was a nice easy run that felt great the entire way. Only 1 GU, but need to drink more water as I felt slight dizzy after stopping.

Bugs

Bugs

Where's everyone? You all get run over this weekend?

Bugs

evanflein

Hi Bugs! I'm here, just don't get to my laptop much. DS2 turns 14 tomorrow... so we went out for burgers and stuff tonight. He brought his GF, first time we've met her. Must be serious...! We played a bunch of pool and had a good time. I had a long one on the schedule too (19) but I didn't want to do it. It was raining all morning and my toe is still sore where that blister was. Seems like every run eats into it a little more... so today I decided to run with no wrap or anything except lots of Glide. Seemed to work... hurt a little bit on the uphills but overall was ok. I didn't make 19 miles though... 17 miles in 2:22:30 for 8:23 avg pace. I was feeling pretty much done by 13.5 when DH called and asked where I was. Seems someone wanted to run with me for a bit! DS2, who turns 14 tomorrow, needs to run 2 miles steady for soccer. Coach wants them to run 2 miles in 14 minutes (!!) which I think is a little ambitious. Most of these kids couldn't run two 7 minute miles in a row! So by mile 14 they'd caught up to me and I was really surprised how nice it was to have someone to run with! We ran/jogged and took a 1 minute walk break in the second mile. He does need new shoes, I think he pronates. But he did the 2 miles, it's a start. And I finished by running down my favorite hill in 7:43. Overall, I was amazed at how even most of my miles were. Mile Splits: 8:19 8:09 8:16 8:22 8:25 8:24 8:25 8:17 8:23 8:49 (uphill) 8:16 8:25 8:14 8:33 8:15 9:13 (walk break with Kris) 7:43 (downhill!) It was raining when I started, then just misty/moisty, then the sun came out and it got warm, then cool and breezy... I think we had it all today!

Dave

That is one fantastic run, Erika. Pretty close to MP or its pointing to another big PR at your next marathon. How cool that your son gets to run 2 miles with you knowing that you've already been going 2 hours before he joins you. That has to make a huge impression. Really, really, nice.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - that doesn't sound like a smell you want to smell. Dave - nice run! Bugs - nice 20!! And you are right it was a water issue not a fuel issue. Erika - It's funny the speeds coaches want the kids to be able to run, but they don't actually focus on running. Our girls soccer coach wants the kids to do 1.5 in 9 I think and it blows my mind. But I chalk it up to those are kids and just because my slow behind can't run that doesn't mean they can't. 1 mile instead of 2 yesterday. But it was NOT my fault. I got out just as Thunder started. And half a mile I saw lightening - come down maybe a mile from the house. And so I high-tailed it home. But still not too shabby for week 1 of training - 26.8 miles and I feel good. My calves are a little sore today, but I think it's from my sprint last night.

Dave

4.5 easy miles today. Felt surprisingly good after the long run yesterday. Great run, Bugs. I can say without a doubt that I've never had an "awesome 20" Wink

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Hey Dave, best I can hope for at my next marathon is 4:15, but that would be a huge course PR... The Equinox is all about climbing a big ol' hill (mountain?) and my best time on that course is still my first marathon at 4:26. Barring injury or snowstorm (both of which have happened!), I should be able to better that this year. 4.5 EZ miles today, I guess it was another of my attempts at "recovery" pace but I suck at that. Ok, Shan, I'll buy that one. Gotta dig deep though for any future 1 miler excuses! Big grin

Oh Mighty Wing

Ok, Shan, I'll buy that one. Gotta dig deep though for any future 1 miler excuses! Big grin
                            I was actually mad about that one!!! I was excited about a nice easy run. Instead I ran a 9:44 mile - I didn't even know I had that in me so that was sorta cool...