Marathon Trainers

5/12-5/18 (Read 204 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good morning! I'm no streaker either. One of the reasons I run is to get fast which requires rests built in. If I was running just to run, I'd consider a streak. Salad - WOW! that's hardcore! Rest up and get well. Your system is going to be depleted for a while and you don't want a nasty bug runing rampant throughout your system. higa - phantom pains and niggles are common close to race day. If it's your first, it's easy to get panicky and think you're injured. Watch monitor them, but don't worry about them. Ran my first Galloway style run last night. It took 3-4 miles to get used to it, not only the running, but using my Garmin to monitor my run/walk intervals. Once I got that down, things went pretty smoothly. However I found it very difficult to control my pace. I ran many of the miles too quickly, finishing with an average pace of 10:00. Things were quite easy for a good chunk of the run. My first 3-4 walk breaks felt like an intrusion that interrupted my rhythm. After that, they started to feel a little more natural and by 12 or 13 I started to look forward to them. Even though I ran this too fast, I felt much better afterwards than I did on my 13 miler last week. I got a little phantom niggle on the outside of my right knee and my left Achilles is acting up a bit, but I think those are just those phantom pains that hit close to race day. Assuming next week's 18 miles goes as well as this week's run - Bayshore is a go.

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr I - I am SOO glad to hear things are looking up for you!!

Dave

Salad - Unbelievable race report. I don't think I've ever thought about it only being another 13 miles. Let alone being sick. Rest up. MrI, nice to hear you getting back on track for your upcoming race. Smart approach to gallorun it given the health stuff you had. Lots of rain here on the eastern seaboard. At least my basement stayed dry. 5 miles on the treadmill. Probably a rest day tomorrow. Hoping to stay on track for my HM this weekend. I don't be tapering or really racing it. Just treating it as a moderate paced training run.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

I did not get entry into the Twin Cities 10. Sad Have to wait to July to try again. Both my friends that are suppose to run the Des Moines Marathon are injured and I think will back out of the marathon and probably back down to the half. So now I'm asking myself if I really want to run Des Moines? It is not my favorite course. Dave, calf troubles all better?

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - And it's cold rain too!!! Bugs - well July isn't that far you could always do speed stuff the next month - give it a go and if it doesn't work come back to distance?? 3.01 for me today at a decent pace - faster than they have been lately but felt really good. Tomorrow will be very slow and light. And I went to the gym already also!
            Cashmason

20.5 miles in the mist and rain today. Perfect 57 degrees today. Friday its supposed to be 91.

Dave

Cash, that sounds awesome. That has to be my favorite weather to run in. Perfection. Shan, sounds like you're really back on track with your running. Bugs, thanks for asking. It does seem to have totally healed at this point. I'm still babying it a bit (not much speedwork and keeping my runs under about 5 miles). The HM this weekend will be a huge test for it. If it starts to really act up, I may just DNF rather than reinjure and have to take another month off. My goal race is the USMC in November. Murphy, don't think I'm going to sign up for the USAF marathon this year. Too many races too close together this fall. I'd like to take you up on the offer for dinner though for the 09 race. We will have moved to Michigan by then and I'll make it my marathon for 09. Given my performance against the pace bunny, I decided to update my avatar. The cute one on the left is DD#1. Taken at the summit at Grand Targhee in Wyoming.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - where do you find the time to fit in that kind of mileage? Dave - she is cute!! Glad you are feeling better - i think it's smart to play it by ear at the half!

Bugs

Dave - And it's cold rain too!!! Bugs - well July isn't that far you could always do speed stuff the next month - give it a go and if it doesn't work come back to distance?? 3.01 for me today at a decent pace - faster than they have been lately but felt really good. Tomorrow will be very slow and light. And I went to the gym already also!
                    Think I'm obligated for the distance thing. I signed up for Twin Cities. (P2R, SORRY I may still come to Des Moines with my friends but will run a small race.) Both my running friends are injured and were backing out of Des Moines. I want to run Fargo 2009, and didn't want to run two smaller marathons in a row. Wanted to run San Antonio but DH threated divorce. $106 later, I'm signed up for the wheelchair division. WTF? I must have clicked wrong. I sent email to fix. OMG, I hope something does not start hurting. Not sure this was the smartest thing. Erika, you should signup for TCM!!

Bugs

First run since the marathon tonight. First 2 miles were nice, last 2 the legs were a little heavy, imagine that. I could have run the last few days, but was building a deck in the back yard. Felt kinda nice not running for a week, but had plenty of walks with the family.
                      Cashmason

Shan, I was up at 4 :45 am today. That answer your question about finding time to run? Oh yeah, got to bed well after midnight last night too. Yes I was a zombie today.

Oh Mighty Wing

cash - as long as you were a zombie then you are sort of human like the rest of us! Wink bugs - no injury thoughts! only nice happy zen thoughts!! husker - building a deck certainly counts as cross training and if it felt nice to not run then you probably needed the rest! Sounds like the run went well! I find my legs are normally heavy after a couple days off because I wasn't fueling or eating well when I was off.
                          higa

Mr I, was very interested to read about teh galloway approach. i'll be interested to see how you go. When's you race? Likewise cash, when's your race? I'm doing Christchurch NZ on June 1st. I have just started my first of 3 weeks taper. Have been looking forward to a few more sleep ins for the last few weeks - I was getting sick of 5am starts. Happy training

Bugs

Higa, You must be so excited. What is the name of the marathon? Post your race number if we can track you. Still not heard from the TCM race director, hope I do need to find a wheelchair to do this marathon. LOL. Maybe a good idea, so I don't get shin splints. Smile

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Mr I, was very interested to read about teh galloway approach. i'll be interested to see how you go. When's you race?
                                Bayshore - May 24th (way too soon if you ask me). I'm gonna be pretty interested to see how this goes, too. Nothing like experimenting and trying new things 2 weeks before a marathon that you're grossly underprepared for! I did 4 easy this morning. MTA: Tomorrow I get to start obsessing over the 10 day weather forecast to see what weather race day will bring.