Marathon Trainers

Week of 7/13 (Read 211 times)

Kimmie

Good afternoon everyone!!!

Ok, it's a bad sign when self confessed lazy butt starts the weekly thread.

Ran with the young boy I've been training... wasn't sure how that would go, but it was good... so fun to see a kid being enthusiastic about running.

Have a good one all!

Cashmason

Yay Kimmie,  good job !

I am going to have to tease you about being  Cougar Kimmie now... wink

Cashmason

First 20 miler of this cycle.   First 16 were good,  17 eh..   after that crash and burn.   82 degrees.

Calves got tight and sore,   not unusual.  But  the band of muscle that is even with the top of the hip bones got really sore.   That is new.   Got so sore had to walk,  running hurt.   Not sure if that is the illiopsoas.  And not sure why they hurt and what to do about it.

evanflein

Cash, you and I ran long in the same temps! I was aiming for 16 but only got 14.5 and the last two to three were ugly. I wanted 16 this week so I could do a shorter long run next week, and then the week after that I have a 16.5 mile race (that I don't feel prepared for). I'm wondering if my hard workout Saturday was to blame for Sunday's crash (9 miles including 3 miles with big hill repeats, and bike ride). Sure hope whatever is ailing you gets better real quick! What marathon are you training for?

Hey Kimmie! Thanks for starting the weekly. I've been finding it hard to get computer time, especially on the weekends.

Paul, you were in Columbia??

Hail to The Victors!

Good afternoon everyone!!!

Ok, it's a bad sign when self confessed lazy butt starts the weekly thread.

Ran with the young boy I've been training... wasn't sure how that would go, but it was good... so fun to see a kid being enthusiastic about running.

Have a good one all!

Thanks for starting it!  I think it's a good sign when you can do a 16 yesterday and get a run in today and not feel shin pain.  Great work Kimmee!

The 5K paid off yesterday: 19:22 and a few second PR.  The quest for sub 19 continues. One of those races where everything just went right, right down to cutting the tangents properly. 

Today was supposed to be 9 on trails that became 12 on trails and road.  Felt good enough to just keep going. 

I think I either a) need to lose 5 pounds, or b) need to do some strength workouts to get to sub 19 I despise strength work, so I think it's time to aim for 155 for real instead of just talking about it.

Kimmie

woo hoo Jeremy!!   What a fast time!!   155?   How tall are you?  That sounds low... but what the heck do I know?

hang in there Cash-  it was hot yesterday during my 16 miler....  keep teasing me..... I love it.  Hope you feel better soon.  Maybe it's something minor,

Erika- sounds like Saturday's workout did tire you out...  good job in spite of feeling tired.

evanflein

Sub-19 5k. Geez that's fast! And here I've been wanting a sub-22 for ages. Not enough to really work at it though.

3.7 mile "recovery run" at 9:38 avg pace. I've been trying to slow down my easy and recovery runs for ages, and I really think 9:40 is about as slow as I can go without my form just totally falling apart and I end up shuffling. Maybe that's the idea? (the shuffle, not the falling apart thing) Don't know, but that seems to be about it. McMillan has my "recovery run" pace at 9:53 to 10:23... Hmmmm. On the other hand, he says my tempo runs should be 7:37 to 7:57, and a sub-8 is doable but difficult for any length of time. Practice, practice, practice, right?

Dave

That is one smokin 5K time, Jeremy.  Not sure about 155.  You'll look like a skeleton.  

Nice job on the 20, Cash.  I'm no where near ready to go that long again.

I was thinking about your goal of slowing down on my run today, Erika.  I curtailed my Sunday run to only 5 miles and spent two of those miles at tempo pace (7:40, 7:20).  Determined to run easy today, I tried to keep every mile split slower than 9.  Came really close but came in around 8:58 on a couple of miles for a very easy 6.  More beautiful weather.

I won't promise a summary later but if I were to do one, I'd put it right here,  

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I'm back.  Good time with some running friends in the woods in upstate NY.

Still catching up around here...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul, you were in Columbia??

Yes.  My wife grew up in Irmo.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

A very nice 5 miles this morning.  Nice way to start the day.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Cash,

What are you training for?

Kim,

Sending you healthy strong shin vibes.

Looks like my relay legs will be: 4.9 miles (with 1.2 mile long hill), 5.2 easy, and 4 miles rolling hills. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I suggest they not give me the hardest leg since I'm coming off injury. I'm not their strongest runner but I am supply a van so they didn't want to loose me as a runner. Smile  I did 7 miles this morning witl hill repeats today. Got some hill work to do before the relay.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Here's a copy of my race report for tonight's tri:

===============

Didn't think to post it, but did sprint tri tonight. Wouldn't have had any goal anyway -- oh, except I would have aimed for #3 out of water. Actually got #2 out of water. The obvious favorite swimmer started last in my lane, so I kept an eye on her to see when she'd catch me, and it worked out perfect -- it was at a wall, so she pulled up going into the wall and flipped side-by-side with me. Then I sprinted to see if I could hold on and draft, but couldn't hang with her (no surprise - I was never a ranked college swimmer), but I did come out of the water next after her. The guy I expected to come out #2 actually came out later, but he also started absolutely last, so don't know which of us actually swam faster.

Fun summary - I outsprinted her up the final hill, and she got #1 overall (for entire race) easily, and I got #DFL easily.

Oh, and I ate pizza and cheesecake and brownies after the tri, then went immediately back out and ran 6mi -- so that was another resounding success of eat & run.

Riddle explanation - she'd already finished and was standing around when I came in to T2, so I dragged her out to do the run leg with me -- she was afraid she wouldn't be able to keep up, but I was *beat* after doing the cycle leg on a mountain bike, and she easily kept up, except she annoyingly talked me into sprinting the final uphill, and I pulled ahead of her there in that last uphill sprint....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Mon night I filled up on pizza at club meeting then went to track and did track workout with DW

2x(400 interval, 400 recovery)

2x(800 interval, 800 recovery)

1600 interval

Had no problem at all with running on full stomach.

I have been doing a relatively lot of weekly mileage and have started experimenting with longer running, so this -- experimenting with eating & running -- is another part of my tiptoeing up to the idea of trying an ultra...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Perry I gotta ask... what is your avatar? (um, speaking of eating and running and al....)

We had an unhealthy air quality advisory from the forest fire smoke around here. So, that drove me to the treadmill. I gotta say, I don't know what to think about the avg pace of 8:42... (6.5 miles in 56:30)

I dunno.... that avg speed seems slow? Sure felt like I worked harder than that...1 mile warm up @ 8:49then 3 x 1 mile @ 8:00, with .25 @ 8:49 recoverythen .5 mile @ 7:30then 1.5 mile @ 8:49

Maybe I added wrong or something? Set the treadmill for 45 minutes (made it 5.2 miles, I think...?), then did another 1.3 miles in 11:30... I think. Or did I mess something up? See why I'm so bad at intervals? Can't even do them on the treadmill! Did I really run 6.75?