Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/21-4/27 (Read 229 times)

Bugs

Inertia, Get better. 7+ miles in the rain. Should have worn shorts. Worried my legs would get cold but the pants got heavy and stuck to my legs in the rain. Sounds like lots of rain for the next few days so I'll get to try again.

Bugs

evanflein

Ok, it's long and yakky... but here's my Boston race report.... http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/27dbb2b03c1c4483a4ca8df1f08efd73
      Cashmason

Be careful with your footing and visibility in the rain Bugs. 1 hour of spin today. Was going to lift and swim too. But couldnt find my car keys in time to lift. After spin just didn't have the mental energy to swim.
          Taper madness continues. Last night I ran 5 miles the way I want to run my first 5 miles during the marathon and it went really well. Not sure what I should be expecting, but it felt fairly easy and my HR was good, considering it was about 75 with 75% humidity. Very small chance of those sort of conditions in Lincoln next week. Accuweather.com says a low of 39 Saturday night and a high of 61 Sunday. Weather.com says 47 Saturday night and 70 Sunday. Either one of those would be great in my book. -Brian

Dave

Erica, race report was great and well worth the long read. I love those reports with such great detail. Again, very, very, well done. Hang in the Brian on the taper. If you're frustrated, you must be doing it right. Still no running for me. More crosstraining today (weights then elliptical). Tweaked my calf at the beginning just putting too much weight on that leg. Good reminder to let it heal a bit more.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

After 2 sets I was light headed, cold sweats, and had to quit. Also managed to reinjure my leg a bit. Feels better today. Sort of two steps forward, one step back. Still no running for me. More crosstraining today (weights then elliptical). Tweaked my calf at the beginning just putting too much weight on that leg. Good reminder to let it heal a bit more.
              anyone else see something familiar about these TWO separate posts!!! Mr. Dave you take it easy... stop with the starting off with too much weight! There is a fine line between rehab and reinjury!

Bugs

Still no running for me. More crosstraining today (weights then elliptical). Tweaked my calf at the beginning just putting too much weight on that leg. Good reminder to let it heal a bit more.
                Not all pain is bad. If you have soft tissue damage, there will be scar tissue causing your muscle and fascia to stick together instead of move like a hand in a glove like they should. When you start activity again the scar tissue gets broken up and there will be some pain, but it's good that the scar tissue breaks up so the muscle can work effectively again. My suggestion would be to put some heat on your lower legs before you exercise. Strech good, start with low weights to warm up the muscles, work out, then follow with ice. MTA: Here's a tip for heat. Take an old sock put rice in it. Heat in microwave for a couple of minutes. You will be surprised how well it retains the heat so you can heat up your calf for 10 minutes.

Bugs

Dave

Thanks for the concern, guys. I tweaked it actually before I even started Undecided. We had to clear the bar removing 45lb plates to swap them out with smaller and far less manly 25lb ones. When I removed the 45lb plate, I leaned over on my right leg to put it down and felt it twinge. I think Bugs may be close to what's happening. Its not the lingering or intense pain I started out with and generally it feels good the next day. Hopefully its just that whole healing thing. Smile

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

Dave, You ever notice how those guys that use the manly 45 pound plates run? At my gym those guys think 1 mile on the treadmill is a weeks worth of cardio.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - you did awesome! I loved your report!!! Husker - YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!!! Bugs - ohh good suggestion with the rice heat! Cash - I totally agree!! The guys at my gym say the same thing... they tell me I should throw cardio in... you know 10 minutes on the bike or treadmill... just something to get the heart going... I just smile politely... 2 things: 1)locked the bowing out topic... was going to erase it, but figured at some point we all may feel that way and need the reminder that we are stuck here now Tongue 2)since i told myself i was done running I did not guilt myself at all about not running and today I said to my husband as we were walking around the neighborhood - wow this would be a great day for a run! So maybe the lack of guilt is just the thing I need to make a come back! (well no guilt and the fact that you guys are the BEST support system ever!!!) so strength trained today - uped my weight which was nice - definitely tired out the knee which I think it needs!
                      higa

I endorse word for word what shanhas wrote. Having just read your race report erika, incredible, you are in different league. I can't imagine running that pace for 42k - congrats especially on such an improvement on your PB. I love the tip on the 'wheat' bag too, always keen to recycle. Question for bugs (or anyone) - when do you use heat? Husker, i am envious you are in taper mode. i can't wait. I have my biggest week coming up and i am not looking forward to it. I had to do 2 long(ish) runs back to back this weekend and i am feeling the effects now. Only 2 long runs to go 30 and 32k over the nest 2 weekends then in to taper, can't wait. Then i'll spend 3 weeks avoiding anyone with colds flus viruses, every tweak will be magnified to a medical emercency, all the self doubt will creep in, i'll struggle to cut down the amount of food i eat. oh what fun! I must admit while i was out today in the raind and wind (horrible conditions today) i was thinking i must be crazy. But then i though i must be in good comapny with all the other mad runners out today. Happy training
                        Cashmason

Higa, Taper is the worst part of training. Having friends to talk too during taper madness is a big benefit of this board. Yes your longest week is challenging. For many of us taper is worse. You always feel like you should be doing more. Packet pick up day. No workout for me today. Tomorrow is supposed to get close to all time high temp for this day of the year. Joy Joy. Last year race started with a slight mist and 50 degrees. Should be near 95 tomorrow. Thank goodness the swim is last. Yay for jumping into a pool 200 other sweaty bodies have already been in. No they don't shower first. Did I mention I swallow about a liter of water every time I swim?

Bugs

Brain, Very excited for you. I think you have a great marathon coming up. I love taper, it gives me a chance to clean my house and do extra stuff for my family. They get so neglacted during the 50+ mile weeks. Enjoy the taper. I have always used the time to read a couple inspiration running books too. Higa, Normally I don't use heat. If you have a muscle that is tight, like tight hip flexors, heat before is good. It loosens the muscle up before the run. Always end with ice. 11 miles for me, forgot the time but no mile was under 9:40 and I ended fast. There was a light frost of snow and terrible wind. A great day, tons of energy that I haven't had in months. 17 miles next weekend. Been a long time since I've had a run that long. Should I be doing a pace run instead of going that long, when training for a half? Probably. But I've run pretty long before all my HM so decided to do it again.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Erika: Thanks for the RR! Looked like it was ideal conditions. You had a great day to PR on that course, especially running it for the first time from so far in the back. Congratulations! Brian: Good luck this last week. I'm a big fan of short pace runs the last week. Hope the wind, rain (snow) and crap weather blows out of here for you. We don't need anymore weekend weather like this stuff. Cash: Good luck in the Tri today. Hope the heat holds off. What are the distances? Had my bike maintenanced and it is back hanging on the wall, waiting for a break in the rain. Bugs: It's great your runs are going well. Enjoy the 17 next weekend. It's nice to look forward to them instead of dreading or being frustrated by them. Ran 20 & change yesterday and then did yardwork. I wanted to run long again today but am feeling beat up this morning and it's rainy outside. I am going to clean some house and then run this afternoon. DW & DS are at the family farm with her parents turkey hunting. I have dog duty here. I'm ready for DD to return and take the "grand-puppies" back. Made the most of it yesterday. Did 7-mile loops changing dogs after each loop. Took some Enduralites each hour. I didn't notice much except a salty taste as I ran. It was in the mid 60's so I wasn't exactly pouring out sweat. Just felt the need to use them during a longrun to see how they effect me. I will need to replace electrolytes during the Berryman. Bought Hammerjel in bulk and will try the flask out with the handheld to see how I like running with it. Last weekend to do longruns so I need to do what I can do this afternoon. Next week I better book a campsite. Only 3-weeks left.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

Dave, You ever notice how those guys that use the manly 45 pound plates run? At my gym those guys think 1 mile on the treadmill is a weeks worth of cardio.
                                Yep. Keeps the world in balance. At least I know I can outrun those guys if I get a little bit of a head start. DW would like me to keep lifting weights a bit, "as long as your legs don't change". Guess I'll have to do both. Between lawn mowing and the cross training, my recovery is going VERY slowly. Better every day though. Shan, welcome back. Not that you ever left Yes Saw a little piece in Self magazine that said that female runners who log more than 20 miles per week and consume less than 30% of their calories from fat are more than twice as likely to be injured as other runners. I'm not even a girl and I went out and had a double cheeseburger just to make sure.

dgb2n@yahoo.com