Marathon Trainers

rough start to 08 (Read 113 times)

Beer Drinker

after setting a pr in the high desert 50k in early december, i took a couple of weeks to focus on family and the holidays.. just did a couple of slow 4-6 milers. those runs felt just fine. we spent new years in yosemite and i bought a cheap plastic sled for the kiddos. we found a nice little hill that my 4 and 1 year old could have some fun on. i then decided to 'surf' the sled down the hill. at the end i hit some ice, up-ended and landed square on my hip. hurt pretty bad for a couple of hours. later in the day i met some friends climbing at the bishops terrace area. did a few laps on church bowl tree (10a) and the hip felt kinda tight, but didnt think anything of it. caught a nasty cold/sinus thingy so didnt run for a few days. in early jan i went for my first run of 08 and at the three mile mark my hip felt kind of tight, but nothing very alarming. i slowed down and turned for home, a total of 4.5 miles. 3 hours later i was in full on pain and limping around the office, my entire leg felt messed up. i laid off on the miles and just ran about 3 miles, or until i felt any pain, every three days through most of january and early feb. got a couple of 8 milers in mid week recently, and two weeks ago managed 10 on flatish trails in about 1:25, hip felt pretty ok, not 100% though. then i get slammed with this nasty head/chest cold. did manage an easy 4 this morning, choking up lung butter every couple hundred of yards... been kind of a bummer as I am planning on running the PCT 50 miler again this may. my mileage is reeeaaally low right now. im sitting here with my application all filled out for the Angeles Crest 100 miler in september, but im to scared to mail it in. im not sure if i am ready to commit to that kind of training and the idea of 30ish hours of non stop foward progress has me a bit uneasy, but if i dont commit soon, its going to be to late.
    Start off easy, then slow down.
    evanflein

Sounds like you had a pretty good base before you got hurt/sick so maybe you can pull this off. Options? If you send in your entry and are UNable to do it, can you defer to the following year or is it a "no refunds/no deferral" kind of thing? Is this an event that fills up soon and closes? Can you contact the RD and ask for a late entry allowance? Since you've done ultras before you know what you're getting into. Sounds like nothing was seriously hurt with your fall, and hopefully the colds, etc, are on their way out the door. If you can get started up again pretty soon, you shouldn't have much trouble. If you were new to the ultra level, I'd say no probably not a good idea.

Oh Mighty Wing

Wow salad!!! That's alot of hurting yourself! You need to take care of yourself. I have no opinion about sending in the form because 1 month before my first half I decided to hop into marathon training and went from 16 miles/week to 30 miles/week. Felt great at the end of the 30 week but 1st run of the next week felt like my knee was about to explode. Now two weeks of not running I go to the doc tomorrow to get my MRI read... looking at a possible stress fracture in my knee. So I don't know anything!!

Bugs

Hi Salad. Hard to imagine your hip is more than just bruised, but anything is possible I guess. I really hate nursing an injury when I'm signed up for a race. I always feel like I have to find someway to train despite just wanting to give in and let time do it's job. I'm starting to lean against races you have to commit to so far in advance. Are you icing? Stretching? Apply heat? How long to decided on mailing those applications in? There are lots and lots of races. Lots of fun places to travel to.

Bugs

Bugs

Hi Salathe! Just found out "salad' was you.

Bugs

Cashmason

Welcome Back Salanthe! Hope to see you at Mt. Dis in August. ( I volunteer there not race)

Beer Drinker

cash, i was hoping to get out there this year... the way its looking, i might not be able to race PCT 50 in May, which means my odds for mt dis are looking better. ill most def let you know as it draws near, would be cool to say hello!! jeff
                Start off easy, then slow down.