Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/1/09 (Read 321 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Heck, 1 mile counts, in the run every day group.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Bugs

I ran a mile, my legs felt better but still very stiff from the knee to the ankle, but I can bike and swim fine. I guess it's just a crap load of tendonities.

I don't feel Nobby was at all reckless in my training. I think we were trying to be very careful. I consider myself an injury prone runner, but these are new injuries. I have no idea what went wrong. I felt fine, fine, fine until suddenly I had shin splints, achilles issues, injured quads, hamstrings..all of me. I suspect the hill exercises are not a good fit for me, but I don't know. He was right that my legs needed more strength. I liked his running by time. I do miss some of my old workouts. I regret changing so many variables in training. Nobby is still an excellent resource on these forums. However several doctors now told me not to do the hill exercises, so I'm going to listen to them.  I think sometimes I would be better using my head, and not getting sucked into what everyone else thinks I should be doing. "Run more, run lots" doesn't work for everyone.

i am so very envious of JellyFish and Pam and all the races, along with everyone's improvement here. I have tried so many ways of training and once again I feel like I have landed flat on my face. Erika is my long time idol. When I grow up I am going to be just like you.

Nobby says I am the only runner that really has become injured under his watch, so it must be me. He is right that mentally I am having a tough time. Even now as I type this I am crying my eyes so out, because I wanted to run well so bad. I watch Facebook and everyone post their runs and I wonder "how come they can do that and I can't."  Almost every real running friend I have is running Grandmas. Not running it is going to take a toll and I've already consumed more chocolate than the legal limit this week..trying to avoid the vodka and orange juice.

My DH is trying to cheer me up. His idea of running is, running for more beer, but he's determined to do this P90X program with me. He's installing double chin-up bars now.

Nobby thought that maybe this group was influecing me to run faster in training than I was suppose to but not true. I can see how he thought that with so many posts ("I ran x miles in y time".) The bad influence is me on you guys.  I have no training advice.  I don't even want to be around me now. I'm taking an online extended vacation while I regroup. Doing a Peach. Love you guys, I really do.

P.S.

Murphy when that baby comes, give that little person a kiss for me.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

Bugs, sad to see you go, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to right the ship.   Get healthy, and I hope you are able to get back out there soon!

Dave

Heal up and come back soon, Bugs.

You'll be missed.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

BUGS!!!

I am so so sorry that you are sad.   Please hang in there.  I don't want to see you go.  I really like everything you have to say and if you leave, then there will be too many men around here and we can't have that.

But I understand that you need to do what's right for you.... just come back really soon, ok?

I know you don't want trite advice, but I just know you're going to heal up soon.  And that P90X is going to be awesome.  You'll love it.

just hang in there and I wish I could help you drown your sorrows in chocolate and vodka. 

Bugs - ditto what others said.  You'll be missed -- I like reading your posts.  I hope you can come back soon.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Cashmason

Bugs, you were NOT at all a bad influence.

We will welcome you back, whenever you decide the time is right to return.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Almost every real running friend I have is running Grandmas. ...

I know a lot of runners who don't do marathons at all. I know some who haven't done half marathon distance either.

Today's run was a struggle from the start.  I'm blaming it on the heat, but it wasn't really that bad -- 64° at the start and 75° at the finish.  The humidity averaged only 77% (same as my MHR!), so maybe it just wasn't my day.

16.2 miles, 2:28:15, 9:10/mi, AHR 151 (77% MHR)

Hail to The Victors!

Yesterday was the last race to take advantage of the Bayshore peak. 

10K 39:17, 2 minute PR, first race in 17 years to go sub 40.    Another big goal down, and I think I'm going to be in search of new goals if I keep this up.

This morning was an easy 4, and tonight I'm doing 3-4 with my old high school cross country team.  The coach wants me to run with them and be an example.  Should be fun, looking forward to giving back a bit.  

Kimmie

Hey lou-

It felt super humid here on my run and I know we're not too far away- so maybe it was the humidity.

Jeremy-  nice job on the PR!!!  Sub 40 10K is great.

Although it felt a little rough at times, I enjoyed my 10 mile run this morning... went with friends that are a little faster than me, and that helped.  We also ran by a local triatholon and cheered on the cyclists- saw some friends who were participating.  That was motivating to finish the run strong.

10 miles in 8:45 pace...  

Happy Camper

Nice runs Lou and Kimmie!

Jeremy: Congrats on the sub 40 10k.

3,000 yds in the pool for me this morning.  First day it seemed to be easier breathing.  First full week of no running in 3 years.  Hope to get well soon.  Still having to take meds for the low back pain.  I have a physical later this month so if it is not better I will talk to the GP about what to do.  Meanwhile, more swimming.  Funny how I said all those times I wouldn't do a tri because I would never put in the time to get better at swimming. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

p2r - I'd go straight to an orthopedist if I were you

Jeremy - breaking 40 minutes is awesome!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

J, congrats on the PR & sub-40.

p2r, congrats on going insane numbers of yards doing heads-up free. One of these days I'll go to the pool to see if I can manage 200yrd, or at least 100yrds of straight heads-up free -- I know I can't do thousands of yards at it, and am not sure I can do hundreds even.

Our local tri club did a swim to a local historic island today, and I helped the person who brought the boat -- that was really fun, riding in a speedboat and learning to tie off a bit and whatnot. Also did the swim. I paired up with someone substantially slower than me (I like to swim with someone, and I like to not leave anyone behind, and also it helps the kayakers a lot if the swimmers group or buddy up), so I did heads-up breast the whole way out, which is a very easy stroke, and one I've not tried on openwater. It is very convenient in terms of being able to see everything all the time Smile

As we got there, one of the kayakers wanted to go to the picnic area, so I swam around to the other side of the island with her, so I also got some regular (freestyle) swimming in too, so I really had a blast.

Um, and a bit lobster-boiled -- moral is (a) need to apply sunscreen before starting boating operations and (b) need to reapply sunscreen after coming out of water. Oops.

evanflein

Erika is my long time idol. When I grow up I am going to be just like you.

Waaaahhh...! Wha...? I go away for the weekend and I come back and my BFF Bugs is gone?? Noooo!

You and I struggle a lot the same way, dear! I used to feel invincible and now I always feel like my body is letting me down. All my talk of not feeling like I'm getting older... ha. I turn 50 in a few months and feeling every one of those years these days. Sometimes you find yourself in a funk and just not sure how you got there.

I know it's felt like a long time since my old running self hit the trails, but I'm starting to get that feeling back. I have a few more aches and tender bits than before, but learning to deal with them. Referred to them as my "new normal."

Hang in there, Bugs. I hope you check back just to lurk every now and then. If you see Peach out there in lurkdom, let her know I think of her often and wonder how she's doing.