Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/21/2011 (Read 181 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Got a nice 1 hour run in earlier.  Beautiful weather here.  I think some here got hit with more snow?

Last week's totals:

pace2race  66.9 mi 10:39:48
    Amores Perros 61.4 mi 8:31:31
    gen76 60 mi 5:54:48
    CaraH 45 mi 6:46:22
    WillRunForBeer 44 mi 6:22:58
    evanflein  40.6 mi 5:42:54
    theyapper66 32.8 mi 5:09:17
    lilcat19 30 mi 5:10:30
    Kimmie  20 mi 3:10:40
    Dutchie42 16.8 mi 3:12:32
    willamona 10 mi 0:00
    irpete 6 mi 56:21
    dgb2n  4 mi 35:52
    jhallum 3.1 mi 27:21
    Cashmason  2.1 mi 20:00

gen76 - nice 60 mile week!

For me, it was a bleh week - cutback was def needed - my legs were heavy and I haven't felt like I've got my running groove back since that 8k a few weeks back.  I think the weather has had a lot to do with it, too.  I need it to be warm or cold, not both in the same week.  It screws with my head..

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Yes, Paul, good to take a cutback week when you need it.

I don't know about others but we're supposed to get 1-4" tonight.

3 recovery miles this morning for me, on tired legs.

What's with Perry, that slacker?  Only 2 digits to the left of the decimal point?  (Nice cutback week)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I've got 5 more weeks until I can taper, so I'm trying to maintain 60mi/wk for 6 weeks.  Just like Amores Perros, I am counting down and wishing the weeks away!  I tend to lose weight in the taper, I think my body just treats it as a shakeup to my calories in/out.  Regardless, less pounds is always good  :-)

I feel like I'm throwing a whole bunch of ingredients in a pot and seeing what comes out, as I'm now at 18 miles per week more than my training when I got a 3:55, and I'm doing intervals and tempos every week, where I hadn't done any speed work before.  I'm kind of just seeing what happens, rather than aiming for a particular time.  Then, I can adjust my training for marathon #4, hopefully in October. 

Gen, I'd consider taking some cutback weeks in those 6 weeks.  I think rule of thumb is every 3 weeks, let your body recover a bit, which helps cement the training.

good point, I don't know why I forget that.  Typically I remember when I hit a week and can barely get my legs moving. 

theyapper

On the road again...

I need some help deciding on a fall marathon.  Here's the pertinent info:

1. I'm going back to India Oct. 20-28.  It's a terrible time to travel halfway around the globe if I'm training for a fall marathon, but the dates are when they are.

2. The local marathon in Charlotte that I ran this year is about the only real option because it is scheduled for Nov. 12, which means the full week I'm in India (Oct. 24-28) would be my first week of taper (if I follow an Intermediate Hal Higdon plan, I'd only miss 12 miles of running).

3. I'd get back 2 weeks before the marathon.

4. Looks like I'd only have to juggle the day I'd run my last long run (which would be Oct. 22 - the first Saturday I'm in India).  I'd try to run it before we leave on the 20th.

5. I did this exact trip 3 weeks out from my first marathon back in 09, and I didn't feel any crazy effects, but that was my first one and so I had no time goals.  This time I would (want to get under 4 hours).

Would I be stupid to try and run/race a marathon 3 weeks after a trip like that one?  

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think 3 weeks is way more than enough time to get over the jet lag -- I think a week is plenty for that. I think I came back from Okinawa a week or two before a marathon, a couple years ago. However, I did luck out -- I was lucky enough to be able to run there, and so I was running in tropical heat, and then a surprise heat wave hit the marathon day, and everybody else wilted.

I personally certainly wouldn't mind shifting a long run by a week or so earlier. (Of course I'm much less formal in my training, than so many people following plans.)

Got lots of running in today, on the holiday. Not planned, but wound up tripling for about a marathon of total mileage. I will say that a marathon is much more comfortable when it has two lunch breaks in it. Almost downright pleasant.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, Perry.  I'm okay mixing up a training plan, too, when I need to.  Plus, I have a much bigger base for this one than I did in 2009.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've a bigger base for mine too -- I hope this works out well for both of us Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

I've a bigger base for mine too -- I hope this works out well for both of us Smile

Ummm...I'm not worried about you.  At.  All.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Woke up early to get in my tempo run and it was 63F.  Now it's 52F.  Maybe I should have waited.

1 w/u, 5 @ 8:08, 1 c/d

Paul

Nice, Paul.

Ran 3 in barely runnable conditions, then we cleared our driveway.

I'm trying to improve my tempo speed, so alternated between 7:47, 7:41 and 7:35 for 7 miles.  Next week I hope to alternate between 7:41 and 7:35 and hold there for a couple of weeks.  I finished my run and did my usual IT band stretch, and felt a lot of tenderness on the outer/upper part of my hip.  I figure it's IT band, as this is 'my thing' when I near the end of marathon training.  Usually it gets me at the knee.  Having been through it before, I know to be extra careful to get some good stretches in, so it should be ok.

On my way to the gym yesterday I told my husband that I was worried because I really really did not want to run, and I wondered whether it was the first signs of my body/motivation forcing me to cut back on mileage.  While running, I had this sudden thought that I felt amazing and that I could run for hours, and I looked down to see that I had been running for 2 minutes and 36 seconds  Wink

I'm in awe of anyone who can get out of a nice warm bed and run before work, that is amazing.  Especially when there's snow!

Yes, before work out of a warm bed is our modus operandi.  My wife calls herself "predawnrunner" for that very reason.  3:45 this morning -- planned for 8, but only got in 3.  Luckily we had enough time to get the driveway done and get to work the normal time.

I, too, am suffering from some (I think) ITB pain, and have been stretching after my runs.

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice, cool 90-minute mid week run.  5 weeks out from DC.

Paul