Marathon Trainers

6/10-6/16 (Read 160 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

ok ok ok full report in the race report thread!

Dave

Now that's more like it. Great RR and a really super effort. Sounds like you ran it really smart and you could really tell how much you enjoyed passing others instead of the other way around towards the end. FWIW, I train with gel packs for any run over about 90 minutes. I usually take one right at the hour mark and, if its really long, a second one at about 11 miles. The caffeine probably helps me as much as the additional carbs. Your McD pre-race breakfast was classic Big grin and you're not alone about not sleeping well before races. Really, really, great stuff. How about the B&A Trail marathon next March Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

What is that? You have enticed me!!

Dave

Its a smallish Marathon/Half in Severna Park MD. Very well run race last year and you got a cool fleece (I did the half). VERY flat. http://www.annapolisstriders.org/races/bamarathonNew.html They still haven't posted the details for 09 yet.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Shan, Great job. HMs can be really tough and sounds like yours was, but you still had fun. Nice run. 17 miles, 9:35 pace today. Too much work, too much stress, too much eating crap has caused this weeks runs to suffer. Really need to start taking better care of myself. Cash, There was a big professional bike race in town today. It is part of a five day circuit and they hit our town today for a 86 mile ride. They start and end in town, and had to do four laps down town. Each lap there is a brutal hill. Amazing. While I was running this morning, I saw some (very friendly happy) racers out for a warm-up on the trail. Think they really bank miles.

Bugs

Cashmason

Swam a mile. Time wise about the same as it would take to run 4 miles. Effortwise, felt like running to China.
              Cashmason

Don't eat the paste" Double Creek Half - 2:45:05 Bring on the next one!!! I dunno Shan, I think gels taste kinda like watery paste.... wink. Good job on your race. You picked off a few folk, didnt take too much gel and know you can go 13.1 miles now. If you race from June to September, you know there is a good chance its gonna be hot and parts of the race will not have shade. For me, anytime I know I will be out more than 90 minutes, I plan taking a gel or shot block or something every 45 minutes to an hour. Even gummy bears or sharkies work for energy. They dont have the sodium or potassium of gels, but they are calories and they do have sugar for carbs, so those work if gels don't for you. And being the freak I am, I carry a trail water bottle with hand strap, so I always have water with me. I drink when I want, not when they put up tables. And if the bottle gets low, I can refill it at any water table. I don't have to slow down to drink it, because with the sipper top it doesnt splash all over me. The hand strap lets me hold my hand any way I want too, and my hand doesnt get tired or sore because the strap holds it not my grip.

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - I was actually impressed there was soo much shade. I was expecting more full-on sun. I have never used gel/sports drink/anything in training. Actually that's not true back in January I would taste anything running partner tried, but it never tasted good. And if I had too much it hurt my belly. So in the race yesterday I didn't want to try anything new even though I knew I probably needed it. The gel I took was the second and last one offered. So I took little bits until it tasted like sugar. First bite - banana, second bite - half and half, third bite - eewww yuck - and so I was done. haha I'll have to start playing with those things on my long runs. And I will definitely look into the hand strap. Since I don't normally run with water I guess I figured the water stops would be enough. But let me tell you I downed the bottle of water he brought me. So I need to look into something and the hand strap sounds like a good option for me. I like to run with my hands open so if it hangs on then it will be good. Yup today I still feel AWESOME!!!! Bugs - was the run tough or something because that sounds good! Cash - at least it didn't feel like swimming to china!

Bugs

Shan, I ran good, but did not feel good. My shoulders are so sore from leaning into computer. But ya, I'm running really good, shin split is staying quiet, and I got nice mpw. BTW, I takke an imodium a.d. before all races over 13 miles. I've been really lucky with no having a marathon or HM with a pit stop.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - unfortunately for me immodium works wonders for about 4 days after taking one!! Dead Sorry your shoulders are sore! Sounds like you need a massage!!! Hey how's life the new boss turning out? I'm contemplating a late November marathon... Thoughts? Suggestions for plans?

Bugs

Bugs - unfortunately for me immodium works wonders for about 4 days after taking one!! Dead Sorry your shoulders are sore! Sounds like you need a massage!!! Hey how's life the new boss turning out? I'm contemplating a late November marathon... Thoughts? Suggestions for plans?
                        Shan, you can take a different pill afterwards and all comes out just like it should. Oh sounds a little crazy I know, I've had some really bad LRs and never had one bad race. Can't remember what I've said about work. The evil dictator looser from Boston got fired, they laid off a bunch of people. My current boss is a guy I have worked with for years and years. There is a ton of work though, clients complaining and not enough people to the work. It has been stressfull, and I'm eating like crap because of it. I really need to learn to manage the stress because I don't like how I feel when I eat like crap. I like Hal Higdons plans. I personally think the novice is too low on miles, and would recommend the Int I plan for you. What marathon? 4 miles in 36:30 today. Legs feel really good.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - oh! lots of work and lots of stress does not sound good!! But it sounds better than no job. Are you eating like crap on the job or at home? I was looking at HH Int. 1/2 as well.