Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/28 (Read 256 times)

I'm a mess!! I swear I'm falling apart. I had planned on running a race today however 2 days ago I started having issue's with sensory overload. Last night I started dealing with muscle weakness in right arm as well. Today the nausea has hit. When I fell I apparently did more damage than I realized to my spinal cord. I was diagnosed with spinal cord impingement and cervical stenosis in 2002. Went through the whole bout with PT and meds etc. Anyway this is de ja vue all over again though it feels much worse this time and instead of it being my left side it's my right side. I can't eat, I can't sleep THIS JUST SUCKS!! Not sure what I'm going to do. Guess time will tell. Anyway just thought I'd stop in let you all know since I won't be around much. Hope everyone's NY has started better than mine!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Geez, Pam, so sorry to hear that.  I hope they figure out what the issue is and a way to fix it quickly!

Thanks to everyone for your kind words.

Today's long run was cut (very) short for a variety of reasons.  Mostly I wanted to be with the family, but some of it was the cold and wind.  Probably most of it was just me wimping out Smile  It was funny -- when I was running with the wind I was thinking "ok, go at least 12 or 13" and when I was running against the wind it was more like "9 will be enough".  Unfortunately, coming up on 9 was into the wind, so that is what won out 

9.1 miles, 1:24:39, 9:16/mi, AHR 144 (70% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

I love typos that are not my own.

Pam, hang in there. BTW, I'll get to post office tomorrow.

Good run for me, 14 miles on TM avg pace 9:06. .5 to 3% incline the whole way. It was a bit of hell but I could not have ran that in -25F on our snow packed sidewalks.

Bugs

evanflein

Aw c'mon Bugs, it's all a matter of mind set! You set your mind somewhere and go out without it. Then later when people ask "what were you thinking running outside in those temps!?" You can say, I dunno, didn't have my mind with me!   Yes, can you tell I've heard it all?

Have fun with the new Garmins, Kimmie and Jeremy! I hardly ever use the HRM but it's fun to check it out every now and then. Amazing how high it can get on some hills.

Pam, I sure hope you can get some relief for that. Sounds awful. You and I can be the rehab kids of the thread. I've had a setback too, probably more mental than anything. Finally have to accept that things aren't getting better, really. I believe it's posterior tibial tendonitis because that's what seems to be inflamed/sore. 

https://www.northcoastfootcare.com/footcare-info/tendonitis.html#posteriortibialtendonitis

So, another setback in my Boston training. I'm really scaling down expectations for Boston now. Will be happy to go easy and take pictures along the way at this point.

Perry, yes that's a moose! It's a calf, born last May. Will hang around with mom for the rest of winter and she'll probably drive it away before next one is born.

More pool running and weights at the gym on tap for today. *sigh*

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That's sad to hear, Pam, and Erika as well. I hope you can get something worked out.

Ran a lot today, most of it not directly into the wind--very much that was on purpose Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hail to The Victors!

Nice moose, Erika.

Pam, I hope you can find out what is going on ASAP and get it fixed!  It sounds pretty horrifying.

Perry,  85 miles last week?  I only notice because you are currently in the lead for mileage in the Swamp.  Three days in, for whatever that's worth.

Dave

Hope you feel better Pam.  Sounds like a very rough spell.  Hope it passes quick.

4 more for me tonight.  All outside.  My best week since moving to Michigan and starting this new job.  Yeah! 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Perry,  85 miles last week?  I only notice because you are currently in the lead for mileage in the Swamp.  Three days in, for whatever that's worth.

Not (worth) much; I'll be overtaken. Just a short bout of foolishness at the start, for fun.

Bugs

Aw c'mon Bugs, it's all a matter of mind set! You set your mind somewhere and go out without it. Then later when people ask "what were you thinking running outside in those temps!?" You can say, I dunno, didn't have my mind with me!   Yes, can you tell I've heard it all?

Oh I could have run outside, but I could not have ran that pace outside. I ran in -20F yesterday and after the first mile I was not cold, the uneven footing here hurts my knees and achilles and thought 14 miles would injure me.  There are some flat iced over roads here I might try running on when it warms up to above zero. When it is this cold I am careful to run in town where I can easily stop at a gas station because the situation will turn dangerous if for whatever reason you have to stop running.  I assume that because I am shorter, I have a shorter stride than you and it makes running on this snow harder. What are you running surfaces like now?

I fess one reason for the TM today is because when I weighed all the factors, the TM was easier on my DH. He's been spending every free minute building his workshop. I'd like to note, not once has he got up at 4:30 a.m. to do it either! I am slowly building "Spouse Owes Me" points that I plan to collect on this summer.

The guys I was going to run with are tall, and run seven minute miles in the summer and are running nine minute now. I guess they slow down too. I wish I was them.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Long-term (and short-term too), there's a lot to be said for running inside as an alternative to spraining an ankle or worse...

BTW, I'm hoping to see Lou & PDH at National Mara this year; that'd be fun.

Dave

How about that 29 miles for Perry.  On Sunday.

4 separate runs.

Damn.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com