Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/29/2010 (Read 238 times)

3 recovery miles, tough because I'm still sore from yesterday's run.  A light misty rain here in Maryland, but pretty warm at 48°F.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I understand there will be racing in your area soon, Lou.... Hope you're getting psyched. (MTA - I got beginning of April mixed up with beginning of May)

PS: And good luck to Kim -- I heard a rumor she's applying to Wm & Mary college.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

8x400 intervals for me, so 4.6 miles including warm up and cooldown.  Pace was all over the place on the intervals, and the last one was at 7:10/mile pace.  I need to be running them all around 8/mile pace.  Next time, I'll set the Garmin so I can see what pace I'm actually running.

Dinner time, shower, and then 24.  Nice to be done with Monday.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

8x400 intervals for me, so 4.6 miles including warm up and cooldown.  Pace was all over the place on the intervals, and the last one was at 7:10/mile pace.  I need to be running them all around 8/mile pace.  Next time, I'll set the Garmin so I can see what pace I'm actually running.

Dinner time, shower, and then 24.  Nice to be done with Monday.

Sounds to me like maybe you're progressing faster than your plan calls for.  

Why 8:00 on the pace?  

In general, I consider a pace too fast on intervals if you can't sustain it from the first one until the last one.  If your pace has to get progressively slower, you're probably over cooking it.  Otherwise, overcooking it may only be if you compromise the next day's workout.  

Nice work lately by the way .  I'm hoping to squeeze in an easy 3 tonight.  My hamstrings were sore after the little bit of speedwork at the end of yesterday's run.  Maybe I overcooked it.

MTA:  Got in my easy 3.  I'm on a 3 day "streak" and have a short "vacation at home" starting on Friday through Tuesday.  Should be a good running week.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

Hi all, raced last weekend, and did much better than I expected, and am recovering now.  Starting to feel like the marathon is real now, with three weeks to go.  About time, eh?   Would like to race this weekend, but with Easter, it doesn't look like there's anything here. 

14 today, last of the big mid-week runs. 

theyapper

On the road again...

I got the 8/mile pace from the McMillan Calculator when I plugged in my half times.  It recommends 400 interval times between 2:00 and 2:20, which would be anywhere from a 8/mile pace to a 9:20/mile pace.  I try to run each one in a bit over 2, but yesterday I tried something different with the Garmin and couldn't see how fast (or slow) I was running them.  That's what made the pace times vary so much.

7:40

8:42

8:41

8:44

8:23

7:38

7:17

7:10

Now, if i could make those my mile splits in a race, I'd be even happier. 

Paul

Dave

I got the 8/mile pace from the McMillan Calculator when I plugged in my half times.  It recommends 400 interval times between 2:00 and 2:20, which would be anywhere from a 8/mile pace to a 9:20/mile pace.  I try to run each one in a bit over 2, but yesterday I tried something different with the Garmin and couldn't see how fast (or slow) I was running them.  That's what made the pace times vary so much.

7:40

8:42

8:41

8:44

8:23

7:38

7:17

7:10

Now, if i could make those my mile splits in a race, I'd be even happier. 

You can run a faster half than you're putting into McMillan (I think Lou may have mentioned this after seeing you at National ).

Sandbagger.  Based on those times, you should probably shoot for closer to a 7:40 pace.  You managed the last 3 under that pace and did the first one that fast probably without even thinking.  Someone's getting faster.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

I definitely think I can run a faster half.  I'm running one on April 10th and am going to try to average 9 min/miles and really give sub 2 a shot.  You're right about that first interval - I wasn't thinking.  

Paul

Happy Camper

Good morning.  I'm in Colorado Springs this week.  DW and DS2 are on Spring Break so we came out.  Great to see DD and DS1 is here now also.  He is finished with the Marines and going to live out here for now.  I'm doing  some slow running but this morning I feel normal for the first time since arriving Saturday night.  It always takes a few days to get used to it.  Pikes Peak in the distance is awesome inspiration.  My entry is confirmed for the marathon so I have some work to do.  May run a double today.  DD is wanting to RAW and I will join her for some of it. 

Paul:  You  will not have much trouble going under 2 hrs for a half with the times you are running. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

I agree with the others, Paul.   You can definitely run a 1:55 or faster in the half.... especially if your drive to the start does NOT involve police cars or frantic driving.  Smile

Last week was my highest mileage week ever.  Wonder how that will play out at Boston.  I hope for one more high week and then I will do a 2 week taper.  I was debating, 2 vs. 3 week taper, but I think for confidence reasons, I will go with one more this weekend-  in the 22 mile range.   I've been doing these long runs on a hilly course, in prep for Boston, but that means that the pace is much slower than my normal long run pace.   Do you think that I should run my long run on the flat trail and just get some confidence on potential MP?   Or should I hit the hills again and try not to worry about the slower pace?

Good to see you here Jeremy!  I was wondering how you've been doing.  Is this your first Boston?

Pace, enjoy your time in CO.  Sounds beautiful.

Perry is funny.

Dave

Perry is funny.

And apparently the most improved running in the Annapolis Striders based on the lovely photo on Facebook that I'm dying to repost here.

Congrats on a great mileage week Kim.  Can only mean good things at Boston.

MTA:  4.2 for me today at work.  Nice and steady in bright, crisp sunshine (temps mid 40's).

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm no expert, but as it's only two weeks out, I think I'd take the flat option, just to avoid the higher stress on body of hills.

I'm no expert, but as it's only two weeks out, I think I'd take the flat option, just to avoid the higher stress on body of hills.

so my 24 miles this coming Saturday with some NEWTON like hills strategically placed isn't a good idea????

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hey guys Smile  WEIRD weather going on. Sleet coming down but supposed to be in the 70's or so this weekend. I tell you mother nature needs to make up her mind.

Got in a short run in today. Went without a watch/garmin. I'm trying to get myself to go garminless at Boston but not sure I can.  Got 14 or so miles planned tomorrow. Will probably take Thursday off (depending on what time inlaws come to get the twins) Got 24 miles planned for Saturday.

Kimmie, didn't running that half give you an idea about MP???? I guess if you really need the confidence of a fast long run than go for the flat. For me I want to make sure I don't go too fast so that's why I'm going for the hilly long run.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

so my 24 miles this coming Saturday with some NEWTON like hills strategically placed isn't a good idea????

I wouldn't do it recommend it. Let's be honest, I'd surely do it, but I ran a marathon in the middle of my taper, so it's not like I even follow my own recommendations. But I'm also pretty ignorant on running and haven't read any of the classics on running and don't even train much these days -- just run lots easy, so whadya want. I got nothin. Have fun.