Marathon Trainers

Message from Bugs about Grandmas (Read 168 times)

Kimmie

I got this message from Bugs on Facebook, and she wanted me to post it here.

Not sure if she can post on RA right now... anyways, I think she did great! 

Gloria Alfstad June 20 at 7:28am

hamstring gave issues. accepted and just smiled and laughed as I struggled with the second half. But even had their not been that issue would not have kept that 8:50 pace. Yesteday was a reminder of just how crazy long 26 miles is. All of you guys are my hero for keeping running this really hard events. Just other races if you have a bad day it doesn't hurt for so long..marathons can kick you,re butt. feel okay today.hamstring is tight. rest of me is ready to run. Thanks for all the support. u all rock

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks for the update, Bugs, through Kim, from Facebook, on here.  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Glad to know Bugs is ok, and it's not serious. Yes, the marathon is a tricky beast and when things aren't going well it's good to recognize that sooner rather than later. Thanks for passing this along, Kimmie.

{{Bugs}}

Bugs

Hi guys, can't post on runningahead on my phone but can on FB.

Stomach Issues

Friday night and other girls were all having wine, mozzarella and tomatoes, pizza, eating M&Ms later, etc..  I stuck with this standard spaghetti and water, snacked on fruit, said, "Didn't want to risk any stomach issues." The girl who was going to run all 8:20 miles is allergic to glutton so she couldn't eat much. I told her I was surprised she didn't bring her own food with (that is what Paula Radcliffe does who is also allergic to glutton). Just wine and salad would make me sick. Apparently I could of/should of just stayed quiet, because "they all told me they'd done it before their long runs." And they really tried getting me to drink, but I just thought that was dumb. Well fast girl was in the med-tent with stomach issues at mile 6 and the other California girl had a 10 minute bathroom stop, 4:47 finish. And they both blew off as a bad day but I know better.

Hamstring

Friday I could feel burn/stiffness in the drive and I knew I had screwed up. My back had went into a spasm last week and I rushed to my 2nd favorite chiropractor and Thursday he talked me into letting him graston the hamstring. He had done some work before Fargo, but I was really clear to him then "KEEP IT LIGHT". I get on my stomache and before I know he is working it with the big bad stick.. I stop him, he thinks it will be fine. I don't know what he was thinking, and I blame myself for not reminding him this needs to be LIGHT.  I was doing okay in the race, but I saw fast girl at mile 9, I stopped to walk with her, make sure she was okay. When I returned to running it has really stiffened up. To sum it up, I ran 14 miles with a  hamstring tight as hell and the quads and calves feeling fine. It was a "this sucks kind of hard running" and a "live to run another day" kind of run. I know most of us have had a race day like this, I don't think anyone but a marathon runner would understand what kind of experience this is.

I think the hamstring would have got me no matter what though. I should have give myself more recovery time after Fargo Half and done a two week taper. Would have been still rested, not stale, but healthier. Don't worry.. I'm not beating myself up over it, compared to last year's 4:41 the run was much better.

Panic Attack 

Fast girl  later said she was had a panic attack in the race. Then she said, "I don't know if you're nervousness on Friday made me freak out or if it was my stomach'.  I can say with 100% certainty I didn't cause her 4:30 finish.

Trent

Mile 15 Trent comes running up to me. He said that his calve blew so we walked/talked for awhile. I just got bored walking, and started running again. He is VERY nice guy, and so glad he finished. Ran into the some other RAers later, and I don't think anyone had a great day. All very nice and I wish I could have spent more time with them, but my group hadn't eaten yet and I didn't want to loose them.

Running Partner

She said the run got hard, she was under trained, finished in 4:41 and happy.

Finish

I HATE that last mile in the race. There are so many turns and you can't see the finish-line until you are there. The Twin Cities finish is so much better, the last .5 mile are all down hill and you can see the finish.

I was really proud of my attitude in this race, never let any of it get me down and I promise you some funny race pictures. I am TIRED now, and my hamstring is stiff and miserable. I am considering switching to Mankato half, just as I can't phantom running a hilly course all by myself, and the half is FAST, but I am open to finding a better fall marathon to run.

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

You did good, especially in light of the hamstring causing you problems before the race.

I can't believe you caused that girl to run such a bad marathon.  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Yeah, really, Bugs. What were you thinking??

Honestly, I think she had some kind of gall trying to blame you for her crappy race? Good grief, grow up. I would've had a hard time staying nice at that point.

Glad you're ok. Switching to the half might not be a bad idea.

Bugs

Yeah, really, Bugs. What were you thinking??

Honestly, I think she had some kind of gall trying to blame you for her crappy race? Good grief, grow up. I would've had a hard time staying nice at that point.

Glad you're ok. Switching to the half might not be a bad idea.

Oh Erika, I knew you would say that. And I did, just I was worried and concentrating on my back that Thursday. My back hurt to run 4 four miles the day before. I get some tendentious right behind the knee and he graston that LIGHTLY right before Fargo, it was suppose to be the same. The hamstring would have got me in the end that day, but this just made it so much worse.

Don't give up on me the okay?????????? The other girls were ready to be done with marathons, but I'm not. Because Saturday proved one thing, being able to run a 4:10 with a leg that tight shows just how strong I am right now.

Bugs

evanflein

Won't give up on you at all. But recognize that something is amiss with your hamstring and take care of that. Then go get that marathon PR that's waiting for you!!