Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/28 (Read 320 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Good morning, everyone.  Got to run my 5 miles of recovery in 50 degree weather.  That felt great!  Weather the rest of this week is supposed to be dry and cool.

Really good running last week by everyone here.  Keep it up!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oops!  Copying to this week's thread:

Nice race Bugs -- 1:20:?? is a very good time!

Perry - I agree some food and gus would have helped, along with more water.  As we get dehydrated our blood gets thicker and just that will make us bonk early.

Re Crystal's cramps - I posted a while ago about e-caps -- has she tried them?  See http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD.ID=4037 .  These work well for me.

6.2 miles, 57:24, 9:17/mi, AHR 130 (67% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

I'm still on a post-race buzz. It was so much fun to get out of this dry PR spell I've been in. My 10 mile PR sucked, so it was a given but still happy to exceed my expectations. When I ran that 5K two weeks ago at 7:40 pace, I never expected 8:05 pace. Smile

Before the race I was talking with a new runner who was 51, but she has ran a 17 mile LR in training. She wasn't very confident, but I said "Man if you ran that long of a long run you can push this because it will seem short. Forget that 10:00 minute pace and just push yourself each and every mile, forget any pace you ran in training, the race is a different deal. Worst thing that will happen if you go too fast is you will slow about 20 seconds per mile the end of the race; You will still finish." During the race I worried how she was doing and thought, "She's either going to crash, or rock it." Yikes. Saw her after the race and she was ecasatic. I forget what she ran, 1:32 or something....point was she said that she ran much faster because I gave her advice. Was the best part of the day for me.

Lou, what kind of cramps we talking about?

Paul, how was the 20?

Erika, Snow tires already. Geez.

Next race for me is this half marathon trail run Oct. 17th. I need to let the legs recover and hit some BIG hills soon.  Today I'm doing assisted pull-ups and arms. My back is getting too old not to strength train it.

Bugs

Lou, what kind of cramps we talking about?

heh - leg cramps

Dave

Bugs,  that is why I think the 10 miler is such a tough but rewarding distance.  It's a great distance to experiment at.  If you overcook your pace, you can generally back off and still finish respectably but it doesn't punish you the way the marathon will for going out too fast.

It sounds like it taught you where your limits might actually be.  I'm excited for you.

My 5 mile tempo on Saturday was as dumb as I thought.  Very sore yesterday and took a rest day.  Will get a recovery day today on the treadmill.  Travelling to DC later this week (and next wee) so hopefully I'll get to run down town. 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Dave,

It is good to see you back here and running. Are you settled into the new house, or still living around boxes?

I agree with everything you said. I probably could have ran slightly faster had I got more sleep the nights before, but I put total focus on moving my legs. I kept thinking spin them like you're riding a bike. I was glad that it was NOT 13 miles. However, I don't care what the distance is, if you're going to knock a race out of the park, you've got to put yourself out there early and be prepared for things to blow-up at the end.

Bugs

Bugs

heh - leg cramps

The one kind I don't get. Try a calcium supplement, NO NO diet pop stuff.

Bugs

However, I don't care what the distance is, if you're going to knock a race out of the park, you've got to put yourself out there early and be prepared for things to blow-up at the end.

My PR marathon is after I held back in the beginning so I had enough energy at the end to finish strong.  But I agree maybe I didn't "knock it out of the park".

But that's just me Smile

evanflein

I like how Bugs describes racing. "Knock a race out of the park..." cool phrase! I'd like to run a 10 miler, never have but I like that distance in training runs. Nice round number. And yeah, doesn't have the last 3.1 miles of a HM to bite you.

Nice long runs for Paul and Kimmie! We need a list of upcoming races; I forget what everyone is doing.

I ran this weekend, but didn't really feel like it either day. Just 6.1 on Saturday and 9.2 on Sunday. Bleh. I think the weather is really getting me down. We've gotten quite a bit of snow, but a lot of it has melted so it's just a sloppy mess everywhere. This time of year is hard... summer is definitely over, but it's not really winter yet. We don't get a whole lot of "fall" around here, just a few weeks in early September usually. Sigh.

I saw a red fox on the way to work this morning. With all the voles we had this summer, I'd think there'd be more foxes but this is the first one I've seen in awhile. Beautiful critter, full coat and the bushy tail was almost as big as the rest of the fox!

I'm joining the resting crowd today. I was thinking of pool running after work, but figured the heck with it. I'm tired, and I still have beets to dig out of the garden, after I sweep the snow off them. That's the last thing and then I'm done... unless I want to clean up my flower beds but that's sort of a "who cares" task if you ask me.

Ringmaster

Great race, Bugs! I'm starting to take notes for my next race--it takes so much wisdom to run our races well, so much mental strategy BEFORE you start running and then determining once you get started how much pain is okay--whether you need to back off or not. Sounds like you read your body well and were rewarded for it--the mark of well-trained athlete. Way to go!

I can't believe the kind of weather you all are seeing already. Snow? Really? It was 80 when I set out the other day--at 5am. I can't wait for mid-70s! Heck, I'd settle for a break in the humidity so my sweat would evaporate!

Ran mile repeats today and am happy to say my pace seems not to have suffered too much from two weeks of subpar running. I'd prefer to be a little faster than last year at this time but I'm at about the same place, my easy runs maybe a little faster, one 17-miler under my belt.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

Bugs

Erika,

Here is a "Belated Great Job" on your first ultra. I ran out of "Spouse Allowed Internet Time" two weeks ago.  Smile Anyway Great Job, glad it went better than expected. So next year what race (marathon or ultra) will you want to run?

Vix,

I think I lost my drive to gut it out like I use to, but I did make it hurt Sunday.

Mankato (Minnesota) Marathon is Oct 23rd 2010. Guest Bed is still up for grabs. Smile

Bugs

CONGRATS on the new 10 mile PR!!! I really like what you said about knocking the race out of the park! That is my plan for Steamtown! I don't think I'll be able to do it unless I give from the get go like you said.

Enjoy your rest day Erika!

Lovely weather huh Paul!! Hope it stays like this.

I've never tired e-caps however I have tried s-caps and they are GREAT! 

I kicked my ass today with weights and will be heading out for my run as soon as Ken gets home from work. I figure I'll do something around 5 miles. I won't be doing any more doubles until after the marathon. I'm thinking besides my mid long run and my long run the rest of my runs will be between 4-6 miles. Can't believe my marathon is  less than 2 weeks away

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

What race are you doing Pam? On the 11th? Same day as mine (Royal Victoria Marathon in BC).

I use the S caps too, but never remember to take them when I should.

Bugs, right after the race I was thinking "ok, that was cool, but don't need to do that again." Now, like childbirth, I'm thinking I could do it again and what I'd change, etc. But I also would like to start out my new AG with a strong PR on that course, and think I could do it. So... I'm undecided. The last 5 miles they added to the end are very nice though, and much more "tame" than most of the rest of the regular course.

I'm tired. This weekend took a lot out of me. Feel like crawling under my desk for a nap, but have a big ol' meeting in 20 minutes. Waaah.

Yep I'm doing Steamtown on the 11th.

I hear ya about it being like childbirth. I'm actually considering doing another 100 miler next year in September *gasps*

The nice thing about it being tapering time is you can do whatever you darn well feel like doing. Rest if ya feel like resting. Hays in the barn and whatever ya do the next couple weeks is just to keep the blood flowing etc.  I MAY even take tonight off running. If I feel as tired as I do right now when Ken gets home I will.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

Good morning.  A nice cool day here in the Carolinas - about 50 and no humidity.  I wore a long sleeve running shirt for the first time this morning.

Nothing major today - just a nice, easy 4.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul