Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-9 (Read 331 times)

Kimmie

Bugs, nice job on the run.... that sounds really fast to me- 8:38 on hills? And you got some valuable input from Nobby. Shan, nice race... Smile You must have felt great to get such a big PR. Sunday's end up being a family day and if I can run, I will.... it's a big maybe right now. I haven't had a good run since the marathon... wonder when/if I'll get my mojo back. Have a good one everyone.

Oh Mighty Wing

honestly it did - i've never run that fast for that long - oh wait I've never fun that fast in general... knowing the course had some tough hills - a 2 mile hill in the middle and a steep 1/2 mile hill to the finish I was expecting to go 2:15ish especially coming off of the marathon last Sunday. So I was absolutely blown away.
        Shan - great PR! You're on fire!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

Fantastic, Shan!! I'm a little sheepish now to post my little 3.8 mile run. Probably too fast at around 8:30.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

I think I may have found something harder than running.... I just did 105 floors on the stair climber at the gym. If you're not familiar- this is an escalator type thing that just keeps coming at you- not a stair master... I was at level 12 and programmed it for speed intervals. I had to look at my feet the whole time and by the time I was done with 30 minutes, I was really sweating... felt like it was a good workout- equivalent to running hills but maybe even harder? or I'm just not used to it. I kind of feel guilty not hopping on the treadmill, but I think I needed something to change it up. I also lifted- upper body- shoulders. I feel like I shouldn't complain about my extra weight gain if I'm not doing anything to change it.

Oh Mighty Wing

Holy cow Kimmie!!! That hurt my legs just thinking about it!!!
              evanflein

Kimmie's right, you do have to watch your feet! I've done that thing and ended up skinning up my shin pretty bad once. Hope you find your running mojo. Shan had an awesome race, wow! Nice PR, girl. No problem with running mojo for you. I've had a hellacious week. Spent Tuesday thru Friday in Nevada (or traveling to/from), did some running and biking. Got home Friday night at midnight, spent Saturday doing laundry, shopping, cleaning and running. Then left this morning at 7 a.m. for San Francisco. Stuck in Seattle now with my next flight delayed an hour. Pretty stormy here, but I don't think that's the delay. I'm tired. My run yesterday (14 miles, 1:59, 8:29 avg pace) was hard. I had to stop a few times to stretch my hip/butt, fix my face mask, de-ice my eyes... ugh. Just difficult. Took several walk breaks in the last half. But that was my long run for the week. I was thinking of doing my 8-10 tonight on the hotel treadmill, but as my flight gets delayed I'm thinking that opportunity might be passing. Oh well. Can't say I mind too much. I think I need the rest more.
                  Regarding the National, we are going to drive, so we'll be able to get changed into dry clothes afterwards and if people are collecting, we'll be going to lunch. Dave - I have your cell number from when we ran with Trent -- I assume it hasn't changed. Do you still have mine? If not send an email (I'm a little leery of publishing my cell phone on the internet :/) If anyone else wants to trade numbers, just send me a PM on facebook. If you're not friends with me yet, you can check out Dave or Bugs or Shan's FB friends to find me. Or of course you can just send me an email -- see my signature Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Cashmason

1:55:05!!!!!!!!!!!! 51 minute PR on a "tough" (as I was told by many people) course (Dave the hills of the 10miler were included in the half)! hehehehe Big grin
                    Awesome Shan!
                    Cashmason

Kimmie, stair climbing is a whole other world of fitness. 105 floors is super tough. Great for your cardio, and great for your quads. Uses some of the same muscles as running but not all, and not quite the stress on the joints and tendons. And sometimes it is good to cross train. Easy to get burnt out if all you do is the same thing all the time. I think Pam breaks it up by changing from roads to trails and back, I break it up by getting on the bike or swimming. Erika, sorry you had a bad week. You do a ton of traveling. Perhaps your body can use a day or two of rest from running. Hope it gets better for you.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - sorry your week did not go well! I hope you feel a little better after some rest!! Cash - I bought a helmet today!!! YEAH!!!! Will buy shorts and pick up my bike tomorrow!

Happy Camper

Nice 1/2 Shan! First roadbike of the year for me. Winter did not help my bike fitness. 31.4 miles in 1:51:04. About 17mph avg. 152 AVG HR. Don't think I would have pushed that HR AVG running today. Hope to get out to roadbike in the evenings if weather and temps allow. Temps weren't bad today. Fought the wind on the way back. It was a good change of pace. Run miles will suffer until marathon training starts in mid April. Just don't feel much like long runs so I hope the extra biking will help out with endurance. Kimmie: I hate the stairmill. Hard for me not to lean the few times I did it. Nice work!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Great race Shan! Congrats on the PR Smile Another great little over 9 mile run today. Legs felt strong till the end and felt like I had loads of energy. Something about running in the evening seems to work much better for me.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Erika, Sorry you've had a tough week. Hard to run long and hard when you have so much going on. Nobby and I talked about LOTS of RAers and you came up, he does know you. But when I talked about all the marathons, and particular how well you did in Boston last year he was very impressed. I told him you were very much a person I look up to, as you are not in the 20 something crowd either but have done nothing but improve. Kim, That is very good training. I am impressed. I am doing kickboxing again to get some length strength. I'm not sure I agree with the more running is always better than XTing. XTing can have a purpose to improve running, I'm certain of it. Shan, So you raced a half this weekend, next weekend and then you have three marathons coming up? Wow.

Bugs

1:55:05!!!!!!!!!!!! 51 minute PR on a "tough" (as I was told by many people) course (Dave the hills of the 10miler were included in the half)! hehehehe Big grin
                                Holy crap. awesome time!! Congrats. Goes to show what you can do when you put everything into it. So, whats your goal for the National half now? I'll have you know you are motivating me to get moving. Ran 5 this evening. Felt pretty good. But was spent at the end. Made the tough decision to not come out for the National. Logistically it just doesnt make sense..plus I'm not in shape to challenge my PR. Would love to meet everyone..and Im sure I will someday. Im still undecided on the half vs full for the Pig in May. It will be a last minute decision. Right now its about 60/40 that I'll do the half. Im not going to do the full unless I feel I have a shot at breaking 5 hours.