Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/15 (Read 218 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

I ran twice over the week-end but wasn't near a computer to post it.  A real LSD run on Saturday (that's long sucky distance) covered 11 miles and then a much better easy run on Sunday for around 4.5.  Glad those are behind me and am hoping my recent string of bad-good-bad long runs means that I'm on schedule for a good race this week-end!

Hope this week brings lots of good running to you all.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

That's how it works, Paul -- good race after bad week!

3 recovery miles for me this morning.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Recovery run for me this morning felt good. My recovery pace is not much different than yesterday's marathon pace. Not sure that's quite right. Anyway, happy Monday.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dave

Recovery run for me this morning felt good. My recovery pace is not much different than yesterday's marathon pace. Not sure I'm quite right. Anyway, happy Monday.

Fixed that for you, Perry.  .

BTW, although my schedule has been challenging, I think I need to do a better job disciplining myself to run despite those challenges.  Obviously, my fitness has fallen pretty much completely apart at this point.  But it's a new week!

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, write it off as a periodization period of recovery, Dave, and time to up the mileage Smile

Perry runs a 3:28 marathon when he's not even trying.  At recovery pace.  After coming off an injury.

Niiice...

Perry runs a 3:28 marathon when he's not even trying.  At recovery pace.  After coming off an injury.

Niiice...

yes and I"M JEALOUS!! 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ha, thanks, except, I was trying. I felt ready to pass out at the finish line -- the guy on medical duty there asked me several times if I was alright. But I'm a bit happier to realize that the guy who was next in front of me is the guy I outsprinted at Rehoboth mara several months ago, so we both the ran same times on both essentially.,

Going to be an exciting weekend!

7 miles at easy/recovery pace. Only issue I'm having is that darn hot spot on left foot. It's on the ball of my foot and being a forefoot runner, I feel it every step for the first few miles. Guess that's what I get for not running so much the first part of the year. Gotta toughen my feet back up. Anyway throat was just a tad sore today. Still lots of drainage but with my allergies that's pretty much a given considering the time of year

Anyway happy Monday everyone Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

I hope that sore throat was just a reaction to the runny nose business and not strep. Actually, with strep it's not uncommon to not have many throat symptoms at all, but you might be feverish and feel pretty sick. Nice long mud run for you, btw, even if you shouldn't have been out there feeling sick!

Cash, good info on the bike. I'm just amazed at how expensive some bikes are. I'm still using my old Motebecane I got as a graduation present from high school... in 1977. Just got new tires for it last year, but only rode it once. I sure would like to do more biking this summer.

Perry, very nice marathon for you. You make it sound so easy so it's good for us mortals to hear you did have to work at it a bit.

Get with it, Dave! Yes, it's a balancing act, and sometimes it just doesn't work out. But once you get back into the habit of fitting it in, it'll be easier. I think you've just gotten out of the habit so shouldn't be hard to fix.

Hey Paul! Here's hoping that the bad-good-bad cycle continues at least one more weekend, right? Then they should all (or most) be good.

So glad to see Lou running well again. Hope that continues, too.

Nice hilly long run (I'll call it 20, too) for Kimmie! I know you were having doubts about how well you'd do at Boston earlier. I don't think you should be worried at all.

Ok, that's about what I can keep in my head from the weekend's posts. I finished up my cutback week with 40.3 miles total. That's the lowest in quite some time, but it's ok. I did a lot of cross training last week (almost 10 miles on the elliptical and other stuff) so it was really a good week. Saturday was a terrific hill run (9.5 miles), mostly downhill on trails and back roads, but lots of ups in there with the overall down. Sunday was 13 miles on an out-and-back course that was a gradual climb on the way out, down on the way back. Today, my shins and quads are letting me know just how much they did NOT appreciate all that hill work. Pool running after work today.

Cashmason

Cash, good info on the bike. . I'm still using my old Motebecane I got as a graduation present from high school... in 1977. Just got new tires for it last year, but only rode it once. I sure would like to do more biking this summer.

Biking once a summer is about right...  Since summer is  from 10 am to 2 pm on August 11 in Alaska.

I am thinking you made a typo on your graduation year....  it was 1077  wasn't it?  

I also rode a Motobecane in High School.....   I must have graduated just before you.

Perry I have to hate you for  30 seconds.  Your recovery pace for a marathon would be a BQ for me......  Ok I like you again.

Didnt mean to dis Kimmie on her 20 miler.   I saw 19.8  and the brain registered 19.    Btw  I gave up Thinking for Lent.

Lent 1988.

It is 75 degrees here today.

Bugs

Where's Perry's Race report?

Cash,

I only test drove that bike as it was the only female bike they had close to my size. I do think I want a female bike has I have a very short torso. Our sports club gets a very good discount, 20% over wholesale, and I can order whatever I want at that price. A friend recommended a Trek 1.2 for $620, but I have no idea what that is. A friend of a friend is selling a used bike, haven't heard the details, but apparently some bike guy told her he could get $800 for it, and I guess it has 1600 miles on it. So what is usually better, to get a 'better' bike used, or new bike? With this discount I am thinking that new is better. 1600 miles seems like a lot.

My kids Taekwondo is moving right next to a good bike trail, so I think I might be able to fit in easily 2 sessions on the bike. The reality is at my age, and as I get older, more XTing is going to be necessary to keep running. I see myself also biking with one son while the other is in lessons. My bike now is so bad, I would say I have no bike, so if I'm going to buy anything I want it good enough that I am not last in a TRI because of the bike, and I would be with the one I have now. But ya, I know that was spendy.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Some problems with my race report. Hey, there's a nifty bullet toolbar button I can use.

1. It's my first race this year so I've a lot of race report energy unspent  (see #5 below)
                            2. Still putting finishing touches on race report masterpiece for local club
                            3. I don't want to post it publically like here for several reasons (see #4 below)
                            4. Has a variety of inside club jokes and references to various people
                            5. It's painfully long -- I asked the club if there was a limit for race reports, and haven't heard any serious answer yet
                            Howsomever, I'd be happy to email or RA-msg a copy to anyone brave or foolish enough to be curious.

Boston numbers are out - I'm 12652.  For newbies, the 1000's digit(s) are your corral.  E.g., I'm in corral 12.

See http://www.bostonmarathon.org/2010/cf/Public/EntryLists.cfm?mode=entry

Tried to run a little faster this morning.  It worked out ok and no pain whatsoever.  Set out for 10 with 5x600m intervals.  Did the intervals but legs were pretty tired.  I felt I'd met my workout goal so I stopped at 9.

Not terribly fast, but not terribly slow either:

9.1 miles, 1:14:53, 8:11/mi, AHR 163 (79% MHR)

interval splits:

2:31(170) [0.37=6:48]

2:35(169) [0.37=7:00]

2:32(174) [0.37=6:52]

2:38(176) [0.37=7:07]

2:36(171) [0.37=7:01]

theyapper

On the road again...

Back from a really nice 5 mile run.  Felt fresh and hopefully is a sign of a good week and race.  Can't wait for the week-end!

MTA: Lou, great news on the faster run and no pain.  I know you're relieved.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul