Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/30 to July 6... Happy Independence Day! (Read 150 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - hosey water? - you are tough lady! I hate it when my water spots fall through. I really think out and backs would be the way to go... not that it's totally possible... who am I kidding - it's totally lame excuses and I'm going to stop now.

Bugs

Dgb, I think the running on tired legs is physically and mentally good training for the end of marathon. Perhaps that's my head selling the idea of why to run so dam much to my legs. Smile I know it's frustrating when you want to run more. Not everybody can do the 10% week. I found that even on the lower mpw I still need a 30% cutback. I also find that I struggle to get over 40 mpw, but once over I can increase with ease. But I've also learned over 50, my cardio improves so much, I tend to run too many fast miles. I still get montly graston treatments, don't know I'd have made it this far without his help. Shan, Good work on the PR. Think that distance made more sense for you anyway. Are you rolling those calves? I tend to run out 4-6 miles, and back, then out again. I only like to carry about 3 water bottles, and back to finish. Drank like a fish today. 20 oz poweraide, and 60 oz water. Must be summer.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - I don't know that it's rolling but I run my knuckles/butt of hand/ ice cubes down them... kind of push in as hard as I can type thing... has made a world of difference! I would like to be able to build for 3 weeks and then cut-back... but right now it's like building is barely happening. UGH! I think I need to practice more mental toughness because I don't think it's the legs holding me back! Seriously if I could just do my long runs I'd be right where I want to!! You figure I had 15 miles for the week with a 10 miler long run planned to put me at 25 for the week... my 10 miler turned into 3 miles broken up into 2 runs... ugh!
        Cashmason

Bugs, if you lose 5 more pounds, you won't get wet in the shower if you turn sideways. Erika, talked to a friend who is a recruiter for UCLA. He was saying how kids playing in club sports really helps recruiters, at least for basketball. It's hard to compare a kid who plays on the number one team in Alaska, versus say a kid who plays on the best team in Rhode Island. Hard to tell the level of competition. Does one high school play against weak league competion and rack up good numbers, while another team plays and wins in a very tough league. But club teams tend to be very competitive across the country, and they play similar tough competion. But harder to tell about defensive players. With offensive players, you see all kinds of stats, while the defensive players do subtle things that don't get recorded in the score sheets.