Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/17-3/23 (Read 205 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

What i'm wondering is if some people need at least a week to recover from the marathon then wouldn't running 26+ miles in training mean you might not recover fast enough or well enough to run the race?
      28 miles on the bike today 22 of it a race. Note to self doing a bike race the day after an 18 mile long run = slow race time. A couple hundred yards of swim drills in the backyard pool, just for Erika and the swim bonus for vraa. Foam roller still helping to keep the IT band monster away.
      Cash - I keep hearing about these foam rollers, which one do you have? I've got "The Stick" which really helps in keeping my shin splints in check by keeping my calves loose, but obviously that's not something to roll over your knee. My dad's been battling ITBS, which roller would you recommend, and do you roll right over the place where it's sore? 12 for me yesterday. Ran them about 30 seconds off MP on average and it went well. I've got my 2nd 20 next weekend, hopefullly it goes as well as the first. I might try the last 5 or so at MP and see how the legs feel. But, sticking with the advise you guys gave earlier, the other miles will be slower. No racing on the training runs for me! I went back to the Fleet Feet store yesterday and had them watch me run. The lady who did it about a year ago didn't seem to know what she was doing. Well, they said my right leg pronates enough that stability shoes might help, but my left leg doesn't as much. It's my right leg that's been having issues with shin splints. So, I got some Asics 2130s and have used them for the last 2 runs. The shins feel pretty good, so maybe that was the issue. Go figure.

Bugs

Happy Easter everybody. It was snowing and windy here and glad I had my running done for the week. I hoped on the TM tonight for a nice 2 miles just to burn off some of the prime rib my DH cooked up. HTFU, that was a lot of eating.

Bugs

Cashmason

Husker here are a couple of links. http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=475832 This is a weight lifting site. Has great info, but also lots of pics of girls in bikini's and they push supplements too much. But the info in the article themselves are usually pretty solid. http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4278_A_CategoryID_E_235 This the roller I purchased. http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exercisesheets/PDF/FoamRoller.pdf A good pdf on how to use the foam roller. Need the free Adobe Acrobat reader program to read it. You can either roll on the sore spot or roll till you find the most painful area and then just lay on the roller at that spot and wait till the pain reduces by 75 %. Warning, If you have IT Band pain or about to get IT band pain, this can hurt quite a bit. If nothing is wrong, you wont feel any pain, just pressure. You can put part of your body weight on your arm or other leg to reduce the pain as you roll.