Marathon Trainers

WEEK 3/23 (Read 447 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

GOOD MORNING BLISTER!!!!! Big grin Hi guys sorry I was soo MIA this weekend!!! I didn't get home until late last night and the only computing I did was to update facebook. Sorry. Sad Sorry I missed you guys at National, but I needed to get down to VA Beach before registration closed so I could sign up. My mini report: National Half - 1:59:05 Got down there Friday, ate pasta, slept poorly (I kept getting up and was uncomfortable). Got up and ate - i wasn't nervous or nauseas! YEAH! Headed over to Armory and kept warm inside. Went to start - off I went - took forever to cross the line - looked for Kimmie but wasn't really sure I would recognize her. Went off and setteled into a nice and easy pace. My goal was to go easy - I figured 2:05 - 2:10ish. I didn't have a watch so really I had no clue how it would go or how it was going. Met a maniac named Monica. Ran with her for most of the miles. At 12 I was ready to let loose so I left Monica and took off to the finish. 1:59:50. This was a nice easy relaxed race. Fashion Report (yeah I'm bringing them back) = red monkey shirt, black skirt. Shamrock Marathon - 3:57: xx possibly 3:56: xx - my times aren't in the results and so I am currently working to fix that and of course I didn't wear my garmin. So I left for VA Beach right after showering right after leaving National. I got there with half an hour to spare - so I signed up and picked up bib, chip, and shirt. Found a place to stay, got dinner, went to sleep. Parked like 6 blocks away from the race start - oops! course this was a blessing later. Got to the start in time but couldn't get to where I needed to be. Turns out it doesn't matter because people don't pace well off the first mile anyway. So I feel into a comfortable rhythm and just enjoyed the sights and all the people and all the green. I finally settled into a pace that was the same as these 2 people next to me. After a couple miles I started chatting with them here and there. We stuck together until mile 20. But I was getting antsy so I left them. I ran on ahead passing bunch of people as a settled into a new pace. Tried to keep it under control until at least the 5K since I knew I still had miles left. At mile 24 I started to feel a little tired, but I kept going - tried not to think about it and was able to forget the tired. When I hit the board walk with half a mile left I could see the finish line and I just went off as fast as I could across the finish! The time said 3:57. My time still isn't up, hopefully I'll hear back from them soon about that. Afterward I freaked out and put my feet in the water, had some great stew, showered, and then headed home. I spent over 8 hours in the car fighting traffic to get home - that was not a fun part. This race was AWESOME!!!!! I don't really know what to say - it was just plain unbelievable - I had no clue going in it would go that well. I really thought I was coming in at 5hr... I'm still just speechless... Fashion Report - Green shorts, matching sports bra (after 15 that's what i was in), shirt from National Half. Looks like great racing went on this weekend!!! Dave - sorry you blew up - hope you are recovering well and sustained no major injuries - I'll go read the report later this morning.
      Good morning, everyone! Way to go, Shan! I remembered not to post on last week's thread -- but Shan beat me to starting the new one. Another recovery run for me this morning: 3.1 miles, 29:17, 9:20/mi, AHR 130 (67% MHR) Oops, running late!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

Shan: Sweet weekend! WTG! We've had someone drop from our American Odyssey Relay team which puts us down to 11. Would you be interested? I could email our organizer/leader if you are. Kimmie: I'm adding double runs beginning this week for the next three weeks to get ready for the relay. Goal is a minimum 4 doubles per week. Think that would be the best way to get the feel for multiple runs the relay requires. 6 & change this morning. Light rain and one very upset stomach. ugh.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Shan, That's awesome. I feel worse this morning, nausiated & dizzy. To the doctor I shall go.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

I feel worse this morning, nausiated & dizzy. To the doctor I shall go.
            Blah! Get well, Bugs! 6 miles yesterday to put me firmly at 70 for the week. Starting off this week right with 14 easy today. I'm scrunching all of miles early this week so I don't have to roll off a 90 minute run on Saturday, so this week looks something like 14, 10, 10, 19, 8, 6, 5. I hate doing it, because it does risk injury, and my speedwork suffers, but at least I get the miles in. Speaking of the weekend, this is the weekend we're in DC. The final answer is that we're staying nearer to Ashburn, at the Dulles Residence Inn. I'm thinking about a nice early Sunday morning run ~7am or so, maybe 5-6 miles? Who's in?

Oh Mighty Wing

Shan: Sweet weekend! WTG! We've had someone drop from our American Odyssey Relay team which puts us down to 11. Would you be interested? I could email our organizer/leader if you are.
              I can't I'm sorry - I'm plannin on CMM that weekend.
              I feel worse this morning, nausiated & dizzy. To the doctor I shall go.
              what's up with this??
              theyapper

On the road again...

Great racing, Shan. You must be on cloud 9...hundred! Big grin Hope you get better soon, Bugs.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

Hey Jeremy, I am so bummed that I will miss out on a run with you- Not that I could keep up with your pace- but just sayin... it's always fun to meet RA people- that hotel is about 2 miles from my house. If you need to know some good trails to run on, let me know. I think I asked you this, how long will you guys be staying? I should be back from Massanutten Sunday afternoon, so I could do a Monday morning run. Also, if you want to run with others, I could put you in touch with my running group. Sunday mornings we usually run in Leesburg, the next city west of us, just to change it up. So, just let me know and I'll get you more information than you probably want. Smile Thanks, P2r, for reminding me about doubles. I have only done it once or twice and I was really tired those days. So, I'm thinking about how to make it work. My two choices are: run at 6 am and noon, run at noon and 6:30 p.m., or run at 6 am and 6:30 p.m.-- does that make sense? I've heard that you should give plenty of time in between. But running at night and then getting up early the next day to run is hard for me.... so we'll see.

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie I run 6am and 3pm typically.
                      Ive always considered my running routes hilly..what are your thoughts on my routes? Couldnt figure out how to cut and paste them on this post..but they should be viewable on my log. The best ones to look at are my recent 8 miler and my 3.1 miler last night. Can I justifiably log these as hills? Not planning any doubles this week, but should get close to 40 miles. More if I forego the 15 k and do a longer training run in its place. The 15k is a very hard course, and Im worried if I race it, I may do more harm than good--and I may end up missing out on miles the next week.

Hail to The Victors!

Hey Jeremy, I am so bummed that I will miss out on a run with you- Not that I could keep up with your pace- but just sayin... it's always fun to meet RA people- that hotel is about 2 miles from my house..
                        We'll be in town from Friday afternoonish til Sunday afternoon. Kind of a whirlwind tour.
                          Speaking of the weekend, this is the weekend we're in DC. The final answer is that we're staying nearer to Ashburn, at the Dulles Residence Inn. I'm thinking about a nice early Sunday morning run ~7am or so, maybe 5-6 miles? Who's in?
                          I'd love to, but I have a 20 planned and besides to get there I'd have to leave my house at 6am -- I'm going to need to catch up on my sleep next weekend as I didn't this weekend Smile Maybe next time... One of our friends, Tramps, had a great race. Posted by Tramps on the masters forum.
                          Lou's camera takes amazing pictures, doesn't it? Look at the clarity in this shot of DC Mayor Fenty.
                          That was Adrian Fenty -- DC Mayor. Tramps beat him by 6 seconds.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Ive always considered my running routes hilly..what are your thoughts on my routes? Couldnt figure out how to cut and paste them on this post..but they should be viewable on my log. The best ones to look at are my recent 8 miler and my 3.1 miler last night. Can I justifiably log these as hills? Not planning any doubles this week, but should get close to 40 miles. More if I forego the 15 k and do a longer training run in its place. The 15k is a very hard course, and Im worried if I race it, I may do more harm than good--and I may end up missing out on miles the next week.
                            I'm too lazy to look at your log but Nobby showed me what is a hill course, and I've never ran a course that was so much up and down. We have lots of gradual hills, flat, and then steep half mile hills here but I would like to find a course like that. One thing Nobby has taught me is that say you run for 2 hours on hills, then in a week or two you want to run 2:20 on flat, this is possible and good training even though the 2 hours you will not cover as much miles. Hilling running is tough, not near as hard as hill springing where you lift your legs up going up hill. If you get a good workout and build some leg strength who cares how many miles you run next week? Nobody gets a metal for training miles. Having a tough day at home, water in our basement.

Bugs

Sorry to hear about the water in your basement and hope your feeling better ASAP Bugs!!! Congrats again Shan! Nice solid milage you got in this past week Jeremy! Happy Monday Peeps! Got in a nice half marathon length run in the parkway today. Looking forward to my hill run on Wed. I think this course I'll be running on Wed would be considered hilly by Nobby. I really think since I started running some hillier routes this past few couple months it's really helped my running. It's nice ending a week with a couple moderate paced runs then starting the week with a 13.1 and legs are still feeling strong. Oh and it's that time of the month which ususally isn't all that great for my running lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

got home early from the doc. My blood pressure is good 112/70. Getting my cholesterol checked this week--something Ive shamefully never done. Gonna head out for my run now. May hit the flat course for a long easy run. This would be the first flat course run since I started back up last week.