Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/4 (Read 358 times)

Oops - did it again. Here's the new thread Smile Hey, murphy - like Erika said, a finish is a finish. But that must have been disappointing to have to walk so far. Perry, Terra Ferma is the left turn at mile 18, and up a big hill. I guess that means it wasn't so bad if you didn't remember it: http://www.frederickmarathon.org/Assets/2009+Frederick+Map.pdf . Way to go on the 3rd overall! 3.1 miles, 28:30, 9:04/mi, AHR 133 (68% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Sorry to hear your marathon didn't turn out like you wanted it too Murphy. CONGRATS on finishing it though! The marathon is a bitch! Dh has ordered me to not run today. Urine still isn't normal so I guess I'll listen to him. Figure I'll sit on the couch and drink as much water as I can to see if that clears it up. If not to the doctors I go. On the leg front they feel fine! Kind of wish they felt horrible. Would make taking the day off much easier. Fortunatly I still have a headache and stomach ache so that will help Confused

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Happy Camper

Hope you feel better today Pam. Don't put the Doc off too long. I know they can always find something wrong but bleeding on the inside is something you don't want to put off getting checked okay? Congrats AP! Great weekend of racing! Murph: The Pig will just make you stronger. Did your back make it through okay? Erika: Hooray for being back to running. Rest morning for me today. Had to do work stuff yesterday afternoon. Sunday evening was so nice I did a double and ran 10-miles on the road. Faded a little the last two miles yet still enjoyed the run. Resting from core work today also. May have to take an extended break. My right shoulder hurts so much it kept me awake. I pulled something, (feels like several somethings) in it last week and worked through it. Mowed Saturday and did pushups Sunday. Now it hurts too much if I have to reach overhead with my right arm. I'm a lefty this morning. Sad that striving to improve conditioning or strength can strain, pull, tear, or all three and require extended rest.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Hail to The Victors!

Murph. I think that's a good finish under adverse circumstances! Nice work! Pam: I would take day(s) off until that clears up. I think you should probably head to the doc and find out what the heck is up. Blood in your urine just sounds like a bad sign to me, something that might really keep you from running your marathon....

Dave

Pam, might want to get a free consult with Dr. Trent.....

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... Perry, Terra Ferma is the left turn at mile 18, and up a big hill. I guess that means it wasn't so bad if you didn't remember it...
              Ok, looking at the map I know what you mean. My impression was that the hills started before 17 with that massive one, and then went on continuously through that neighborhood until we got back to the airport. Yes, the Terra Ferma hill was steep; I passed everyone going up that. Only a couple were running, the rest all walking. If I had been racing, all that stuff from mile 17 on would have killed me... I bet you get great hill practice on your runs in that area.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

That's right, there's a down to that bridge over the river and up after that which is the big killer, and that's before Terra Ferma. Harriet runs in that neighborhood -- I try to avoid it -- but I do do the hill over the river sometimes. Pam - yeah blood and urine doesn't sound good. Hope you can see the doctor about this.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

I ran that hill last year... I had leg 3 of the marathon relay, which is miles 13-22... Smile The only thing I could think of was- I'm sure glad that I don't have 12 miles in the tank before having to run these hills. i was pleased to be able to run a 8 something pace on that leg, but again, I was just doing the relay... I felt so bad for people who were running the full... wonder if they'll ever change the course. Pam, I agree with the others... try not to put yourself last... As a mom, I get it... but please take care. Kinda tired of this rain... my running friends wussed out on running this morning- so I will get it in later on my own... Sorry about your shoulder, Pace. Did it hurt you during the relay? Murphy- try not to be too down about your race... you accomplished finishing, which is great. Wonder how Shan did... she had a marathon this weekend, right?
                  theyapper

On the road again...

Ouch, Pam! That doesn't sound too pleasant. Let us know what the doc says. AP and Murph, sounds like you represented Team Blister well. Sorry the race didn't go like you'd hoped, Murph, but finishing is good, right? Nice 3.5 miles this morning. I'm leading the worship at a big area youth rally this week so it'll be lots of late nights followed by morning runs. Uuggghhhh. Hope everyone has a great day.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

Shan was forced into a DNF. I was a little dehydrated going in and i've been congested since friday. At 4.5 I got dizzy - begged the police officer to let me keep going - he made me carry a bottle of water. I found this great mental space where there were no thoughts only running. Around mile 5 I started to wheeze. At mile 7 i stopped to walk and almost fell over so I sat down. Started running again. At mile 10 I stopped to walk - wobbeled. Some ladies who must have seen me wobble earlier when I stopped to talk told me they were getting a medic and not letting me go further. Police made me sit down and try to get the wheezing under control - the medics put me on a stretcher because i was light headed. I asked if I could keep going - they said no. After about 5/10 minutes of sitting my HR was still 160. I stopped wheezing, but still had blue fingers. I refused to go to the hospital. A police man drove me back to the start. What I learned - flying dehydrates me (and probably everyone) and I really really need to be aware of that on those days. MTA: I might be scarce for a couple of weeks. I just wanted you all to know so you don't worry. I'll chat with you soon.
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

DNF is better than injury or hospitalization!

evanflein

Take care of yourself, Shan. Might be more than the plane flight that did the dehydration... Pam! You too! Get thee to the dr whether you have insurance or not. Would be better to go on your terms than have to be taken to the ER... Perry, I totally missed your race earlier! Very nice on both. You ran a 5k before the marathon? Day before? I'll have to check your RR when I have more time. My upper back is sore today. Might as well go along with the problems in my lower back. May have overdone the yard work just a teensy bit... Roll eyes But hey, this morning when I backed the car out to go to work, I stopped and looked around and it was so nice! Can't wait till it really greens up now, but this week will be cooler than last week (50's vs. 70's for the high temps) so maybe it'll slow down the greenup process a little. First Physical Therapy session today. I'm interested to see what she's got in mind for me. Everyone I've talked to whose had this (and it seems a LOT of people have dealt with sciatica at one time or another) swears by cortisone shots vs. PT, and some have said acupuncture made a world of difference.
                          Kimmie

sorry to hear about your DNF and not feeling well. Take care of yourself! Erika- hope it's resolved quickly. for the VERY first time in my running career, I have knee pain... wonder why. plan to google it and see what the dealio is. right knee- hurts on the outside/lower edge only after running more than 3 miles or so. Seems to be off and on- like it's not hurting every time I run... any ideas? Ran 7 miles on the treadmill... started to feel my knee and decided that was it. I just couldn't run another day outside in the rain again. Even though I thought it was fun yesterday..... Paul- just think about the great example you're setting for all those youth! Back to Perry and his smokingly fast 5K time... how did I miss that you were that fast? And how did you get that fast? You look like a mere mortal to me.. but little did I know... I was in the presence of greatness. I'm so impressed and want to be at least a little bit faster... AND, I am moving towards the direction of signing up for a sprint tri- how much time do I need to give myself to train?
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think speed is pretty relative for all of us non-elites; I mean, all us men not running sub-14 5Ks, or sub-2:10 marathons, and similarly for women not running sub-15 5Ks or sub-2:35 marathons (I'm a little shaky on how fast the elite women run). The rest of us are spread out over a very wide spectrum, so who is fast all depends on whose perspective you pick, but we're all slow from the elite perspective, and we're probably all fast from the perspective of those who can't run a mile non-stop. But I admit that it's nice to feel fast. That is one nice thing about the larger races; the more people that start, the more you get to see behind you on turn-arounds Smile SPRINT TRI: If your goal is to finish comfortably on a sprint tri, I'd say the first thing is to get to where you can comfortably complete all the legs. Can you comfortably run 3mi? Haha, yes, I guess we know. Sprint triathlons aren't standardized on distance like the others (Olympic/International, Half, and Full-Iron), so I can't necessarily ask the right distances, but to approximate based on General Smallwood -- which, hmmm, might not be a bad location for you -- can you comfortably ride 16mi on the bike? Can you comfortably swim 800m? Some other things (a) can you can comfortably swim in open water, if you're doing an openwater swim, and (b) practice running immediately after biking. That is called a brick workout, and it is good to get used to the rubbery leg feeling that gives you at first. Oh, and (c) figure out what you will wear. I use tri shorts, but cycling shorts will work also (but be less comfortable in the water). That's for men. Not sure what your options are for women. Oh, it depends on whether you're wearing a wetsuit! If you're doing a wetsuit, you can dress for just biking and running, which makes it easier -- just use bike shorts. (But I don't use a wetsuit myself.) Disclaimer: I'm not triathlon expert; far from it. I've done sprint club tris in pools, and that's it. There is a forum for triathletes/triathlons here on RA though. If your goal is to be competitive, you need to ask someone else; I'm too much a beginner to give advice for that Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Doh, I didn't even address your real question -- how much time to train. But, I think that depends on how competitive you are, and how comfortable you are at completing the distances right now. Plus, it would probably be a good idea to practice the transitions at least once. Transition 1 = take off wetsuit if wearing, take off swim goggles, dry off, put on race belt (if using), shirt if appropriate, socks & shoes, bike helmet, bike gloves, and jump on bike and go. Transition 2 = stop & park bike, take off bike helmet & gloves (I leave them on & run in them myself), switch shoes if you were using cycling shoes (I don't even own cycling shoes, but most triathletes seem to ues them), and run off... I dunno if I remembered everything. I've done the bike leg with goggles around my neck by accident. I started to run off still wearing bike helmet on my first time, but a friend yelled at me to warn me, and I took it off. MTA: I feel like I'm hijacking this to post tri stuff; sorry about that.