Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/10 (Read 287 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Off to race. Not going quite as far as our maniac Pam or about-to-be-maniac Amanda. In fact, going 5K.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Since I've started running marathons, I've only done a few 5Ks and they were all; go out super fast and then hold on  for dear life.  I want to see if I can run this one well.

BTW, This sounds a lot like every 5K run hard, except for the going out super fast...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Good luck racers!  I guess Pam is almost finished by now, and Perry and Amanda are just getting started.  Did Kim say she's running a 5K also today?  I'm having a hard time keeping up, too.

I'm about to head out for a med-long run.  Harriet had already started by the time I woke up at 6:45, and she's already finished and getting on with her day.  That makes me want to not run, but run I will...

MTA: 

14.3 miles, 2:05:15, 8:47/mi, AHR 156 (76% MHR)

5@9:09(144), 5@8:39(157), 4.26@8:30(168)

I was whipped and really couldn't hold the pace I wanted in the last segment -- actually I set out to do 15, but was done.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hawt and sexy

I didn't win

But I'm a Maniac. heh

I'm touching your pants.

woohoo!!  Didja get your number yet?  You feeling ok?

I see from FB that Pam finished her run, too -- how'd it go, Pam?

Missed running yesterday..we had plans that I wasnt aware of. But, I am keeping flexible. Going to add a few miles to today's run. Should be heading out in the next couple of hours for what will now be an 8 miler--as soon as I am off of baby watching duty.

Bugs

15 miles today, 9:24 pace, 75F full sun. felt like 85F, pretty tough last 5 miles. How did I ever run a 3:58 at Grandmas in 90F??? Ice down the bra I guess.

Bugs

Bugs

Kim,

If I was training someone for basketball I'd consider that P90X plyometrics. Although if her balance sucks (like mine does) I would do some bosu training stuff, and work up to the plyometrics. I tried to do some of that this spring but think that is what messed up my ankle. Looking forward to winter to trying it again.

Bugs

Bugs

Can we agree that 17:28.12 is a kicking awesome 5K time? Great Job Perry. You are amazing!

Bugs

Kimmie

Perry IS amazing!!      I love the idea of P90X plyometrics.  She is not quite there yet, though.  I thought she would have better conditioning, but she is running about an 11 minute pace and then needing to walk after 5 minutes.    I am just going to work on building her endurance some.

Ok, my 5K this morning was sad.   Sad, sad, sad.  Sad   DH wanted to go out to dinner last night.  I thought, maybe I shouldn't,  my stomach has been more sensitive lately and then that weird gall bladder thing.  ANYWAYS,  we did go out ... just ate chicken and pasta-  but I paid for it on the run this morning.  What the heck?  Am I like a super old person who has to eat paste all the time??   I used to have a stomach of steel.

So, all those excuses are out there and I ended up with a sad time of 24:30.    I'm so glad there's so much more to life than running super fast 5Ks.  If not, I'd be in trouble.  Smile

Hope you all enjoyed your weekends.   Congratulations to you, Amanda and you too, Pam.    

Lou- nice job getting out for your run in spite of Harriet being done.

Murphy- keep on keeping on.

Erika , Paul, Bugs,   hi!!

Bugs- I thought of your advice while running , but just couldn't muster the energy to pass.  I REALLY wanted to hurl from last night's dinner.  I decided too sad to get sick in a 5K, since it's never happened to me in a longer race.

Bugs

Kim,

Don't feel bad. That 5K is great when you're having stomache issues. I am one that has to be really careful with what she eats. (I am certain some trees in Mankato are extra tall because of my pit stops). You've just ran some really hard races and your stomache issues may just be from racing so much, and won't last forever. I hope! MTA: I say this based on my training from a couple years ago where I ran lots and raced often..looking back it was over training on my tummy.)

Am going on the pill today to try to try to mess with girl stuff. Might be too late. Helps to have a doc that is a runner, he didn't hesitate to help me in my quest.

Bugs

Great runs everybody!

Yeah, 17:28::12 IS SMOKING.

great run bugs..

Kimmie, nice pushin through even though you werent feeling your best.

Great job racers..cant wait to hear from Pam.

Congrats willa--if I read that right this marathon earned you Maniac status.

Got my 8 miles in today. Ran them on the indoor track was afraid Id get caught in a storm, Turns out there was only light rain..but glad I got in the miles.

Wow, indoor track -- cool!

Sorry you weren't happy with your time, Kimmie -- but listen to Bugs.  Seems like she knows what she's talking about.

Perry - you are the MAN!

Ugghhhh I was in the middle of a long post when dh pulled the plug (on accident) from my computer therefore shutting my computer off (battery is dead) Anyway I'll see if I can recap.

WTG Amanda and Perry on your races! 

Nice long run in the heat Bugs!

5k's are hard Kimmie and I've yet been able race one. Something about wanting to make sure I can cross the finish line keeps me from pushing as hard as I should. WTG and that's not a bad time!

As for me well I learned lots. I learned that pizza DOES NOT WORK for me. I learned that walking after taking tums waiting for tummy to settle down AFTER the sun has set DOES NOT WORK (when your wet and under dressed for that time of night).  I ended up stopping a little after my 53 mile. Climbed in sleeping bag without taking off wet clothes. Ken came back with kids to find me shaking uncontrollably. After some skin to skin (guess that's the thing to do to deal with hypothermia) I was a bit better. Ken forbade me to go back out so off to sleepy land I went. Not sure what time of the night it was but it was late anyway woke up to Frankie throwing up in his sleeping bag. Needless to say the next few hours were "fun" Finally driffted off for an hour or so before waking up, getting dressed and heading out for 6 more laps which I actually "ran" most of. May have been slow but I was running. Frankie ran most of the last loop with me. Anyway got 53.18 in 11:24 and then got in another 5.15 in who knows how long.

Feet are a mess and I sure hope they are recovered well enough for my 100k this coming Saturday

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

way to get your run in Paul!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson