Marathon Trainers

December 2012 (Read 366 times)

Last brew was in October, an English Pale Ale.  I currently have that, an Irish Red and a Mild on tap.  I have ingredients for Czech Pilsner, but it was too warm to brew it over the summer, and I haven't gotten around to it since.  "love the output" -- heh, just like my wife, that hop head.  

How do you use the spent grain, Becki?

I usually steal 4-5 sandwich baggies full of spent grain when my husband brews.  They are about 2.5 cups each.  I throw them in the freezer until I need them. 

http://www.omnomicon.com/spent-grain-cookies

This is the recipe I start with for cookies.  I'm not much of a recipe followerer so it is just where I start.  So delicious!  I always add more peanut butter and will throw in some shredded coconut if I have some laying around my kitchen. 

Google - spent grain recipes.  You should come up with quite a few bread recipes, biscuits, scones, pizza dough.  Oooh, I made the best cheddar biscuits for Thanksgiving.  Yum!

...And to bring this back to running...my cold has cleared up enough that I was able to get out for a 3 miler this morning.  I'll run again tomorrow (2ish miles) and then the same on Friday with some striders thrown on the end for good measure.  Marathon #10 is shaping up to be a good one! 

Thanks!

Harriet does all the baking of sweets around here.  She'll probably grab some next time I brew and try a recipe.  I don't wanna mess with her choc chip cookies though.  Smile

Good luck this weekend.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

runmomto3boys

Evanflein: It's nice to meet you!  Nice work on the 8 miler w/repeats.  I'll definitely heed your advice about the mileage.  I'm trying to find that sweet spot.  That's amazing that you've run Boston and so many other marathons.  I look forward to picking your brain throughout training!

Popcorn Frog: Wow!  10 marathons...that's crazy!  I'm glad you are feeling better and able to get out running again.  Good luck with your race this weekend!!!  I can't wait to hear all about it!

I'm sorry I've been off the radar this week.  I decided to take the week to R&R b/c I haven't had any downtime since March and I got slammed with the flu.  I start running again Monday and training 12/17.  It's been a nice little week to recharge the batteries.

The toughest thing for me is getting back to running after time off. I am going to get my running gear together and start slow and just run on my lunch breaks 3-4 miles a day. My other problem is doing too much after just starting back up. So, I will try to be smart.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Good weather this morning, and lots of locals to greet and chat with. A lot of people got out ahead of me - must have been 15 in a pack at the quarter mile ahead of me, plus two guys separating away ahead of them. I knew those 2 lead guys were gone, but I spent the rest of the race working through most of that pack, Couldn't catch one of them, and a college kid passed me with authority with 300yds to go. Came in 5th, 1AG. The shock was that my wife placed more weakly in her age group than I -- that's probably never happened. Two women were right in front of her, and the first of them turned out to be in her age group (to her surprise) - so she was 4F 2AG. (The lead woman was a friend of ours running with me for 2/3 of the race, then I pulled away from her).

I thought my time goal was out of reach b/c first two miles were substantially too slow, but third mile turns out to have been enough faster that I did break 18, to my surprise - 5:56, 5:54, 5:41 - not very even splits there.

Got about 7 ppl to do warmdown afterward - that was fun.

I hear that there were a bunch of marathoners in Lewes this morning Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Nice race, Perry, although I know you wanted to have a better result.

Good runs for me yesterday, and today, too.  Yesterday was 5 or so @ 8:17/mi.

Today was a nice progression run, but in a steady rain.  Luckily it was in the mid 40's so it wasn't too bad. 

14.2 miles, 2:00:45, 8:30/mi, AHR 143 (70% MHR)
              5@8:55(139), 4@8:30(143), 5.20@8:07(146)

Starting the "plan" next week.

runmomto3boys

Murphy: That sounds like a solid, smart build-back-up plan!

AmoresPerry: Holy freaking smokes!  You ran 5:50ish pace for a 5K??????  5th OA!?!?!?!  You are CRAZY fast!  That is awesome!  Congratulations on an incredible race and to the wife, as well!

Will Run: That was a GREAT 14+ miler!  Excellent job on the pace!!!  What's the "plan?"

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Nice race, Perry, although I know you wanted to have a better result.

Actually my goal was 18, and I got 17:54, so I was very happily surprised. Splits of 5:57, 5:54, 5:41 probably mean I should have pushed harder earlier.

Today's 15K:

I talked to someone who is going to try for sub-3 at our local marathon... so even though I find it intimidating and frightening to try to PR on the marathon, I'm more than tempted to try to train for that goal, and take the shot with her.

Race went well. We had a "pace group" of the four leaders of our age group through about the 4mi park, and that was fun. Two pulled ahead and one fell off, and I wound up settling in with an 18yo kid, silently running with him the rest of the race. He'd pull ahead up hills, and I'd pull ahead down hills.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Will Run: That was a GREAT 14+ miler!  Excellent job on the pace!!!  What's the "plan?"

I bet it is the Boston training plan Smile

I would like to get some faster long runs and progression runs in this cycle -- some good stuff like Lou just ran today --  so I'm hoping for some improvement in my marathon training, also about to start.

I bet it is the Boston training plan Smile

Right -- Pfitzinger 18/55++ ("++" means I usually run 3 recovery miles on "rest" days).  Although while I was thinking about it last night, I was wondering if now is the time to try the 18/70 plan.

You can always see my current plan on my calendar at http://www.runningahead.com/logs/db816ba95fe7403490ba401d30cb44ae/calendar (I love the "training plan" feature of runningahead).

I'll take a look at Pfitzinger's 18/70 plan today, and decide whether I want to up the ante.  Gee, I haven't been injured since June 2011, so maybe I'm not pushing the envelope hard enough.  Wink

Yes... Perry is very very fast.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lou - nothing fast in the first four weeks except that tempo run on the 25th?

Also, I can't go to Jan 2013 on your plan - does that mean you haven't put that in yet, or could it be an RA bug?

Lou - nothing fast in the first four weeks except that tempo run on the 25th?

Also, I can't go to Jan 2013 on your plan - does that mean you haven't put that in yet, or could it be an RA bug?

yes, no tempo run or interval repeats except 12/25.  but there are striders on the Tuesday GA runs.  Can you see the note indicator, and when you hover the mouse can you see the text?

I can see plan entries for jan 2013.  are you sure you weren't looking at jan 2012?  I logged out and checked, and I can see the jan entries still, so I guess maybe some operator error.  Smile  Instead of clicking on January on the Jump To: pulldown, click on January> on the right side of the calendar header.

MTA: I looked at pfitz 18 week / 70 miles peak, and it starts at 53 mpw and goes up from there.  No, I would definitely get injured, and I'm not sure the extra miles would benefit me at race time anyway.  I'm sticking to the 18/55++ plan, like I have had success with.

TakeAHike

Hi everyone.  I am new to RA and have been looking for a place to hang out and discuss marathon training.  This looks like an excellent spot.  I have never run a marathon and plan to run my first next fall.  I should have guaranteed entry into NYC, but all bets may be off after the cancellation this year.  If I don't get into NYC, I will probably run Steamtown. 

I have flirted with running several times in my life, but this is the first time I have run consistently for more than a few months at a time.  I don't run the mileage that many of you run, but I am happy to be closing in on my first ever 1,000 mile year.  I have always had more speed than endurance. Hopefully, my endurance will catch up as I add more miles in 2013.  I am 40 years old and about 20 pounds overweight, but I am easily in the best shape I have been in in the last 10 years.  

My goal for 2013 is to build up mileage in the first 6 months, so that I am ready for a Pfitz 18/55 plan in the summer.  It is too early to set a time goal, but I will likely set a fairly aggressive goal for myself as the race approaches.  This probably won't be the only marathon of my life, but I don't plan to run very many of them and I want to do as well as I can.   Rule #1 of marathoning seems to be: don't set a time goal for your first.  I guess I am not so good at following rules.

I look forward to sharing training experiences with the group.  As a marathon noob, I welcome tips and advice.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

runmomto3boys

Take a Hike: I recognize you from RW!  It's nice to see you on this side!  As far as the time goal for your first one goes, well, I had one and while I just missed it, I am not a "just finish" type of girl, so I completely understand where you are coming from.  Welcome!

Amores: What is your history with respect to marathons?  With your 5K time, I can't even IMAGINE how crazy fast you are in your FM races.  I'd love to have some of your speed! 

Will Run: I know what you are saying about the ++.  I did the same tinkering w/18/70 last cycle.  I'm excited to watch/cheer you on as you train, especially b/c we are both Pfitz peeps.

I start training on Monday.  This is my first week back after what was pretty much a week off.  I ran 13 last night and I'm shooting for 12-13 today.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lou - I bet you're right - I was probably accidentally going to Jan 2012. Anyway, now when I click thru to your training plans and click the Boston one, it shows the entire thing, so I can just scroll down through all the weeks by moving down the screen.  And yes, if I hover the mouse over some boxes, I see notes about striders.

Tonight I set out to do some MP miles - that is, some miles at something around goal MP pace, or at least effort. DW needed to meet later, so I got there earlier and got in a lot of warmup, and wound up with something like 7.5mi warmup and then 6.5mi at pace, I think -- very happy with it. Haven't uploaded it to admire details yet Smile

Definitely gives me a lot more confidence that maybe I can try a workout like 10mi @ normal pace then 10mi at goal MP pace -- a couple runners I know did that before Marine Corps, and I was very impressed when they told me about the workout. One of them made the sub-3, and the other missed it, but she came in at 3:07, and is going to try again at our local marathon, so I'm thinking I want to join forces with her in the marathon.

rmt3: I've run maybe 7-10 (?) marathons, but several were training runs, and one was with DW (her first & only so far) - oh, and one as a pacer. I'm way less stressed going into one that is just as a training run, than going in to race.  But, I do find that I still get very tired and sore, even if the pace is substantially slower than I imagine it would be if I were racing it.

My times fall off in longer races, as compared to McMillan race predictions for example -- also as compared to my age group competition in the race series I do. So while I like to think of myself as a long distance runner, apparently my strength is more in the shorter distances -- or else my training isn't as good in the longer distances.