Marathon Trainers

5/26-6/1 - for Mr. I (Read 179 times)

10 muggy miles this morning. It was 72 degrees with a dewpoint of 68, no wind to speak of. Suppose I'll get acclimated sometime, but it's going to be uncomfortable until then. Biking helps running, but running doesn't help biking. That's interesting. I've got a friend who does tris and keeps trying to talk me into it. Told him I'd wait until I was atleast a decent runner first. Mr. I - Anything interesting from the strategy session you can share? Does this mean you might try the run-walk permenantly? I deal with a sales rep who swears by it, and runs marathons faster than I just did, but I just enjoy the running too much to intentionally mix in walking. I'm a fan of NL baseball, don't like interleague play, so maybe the "running only" strategy fits with my old school views.

Bugs

Biking helps running. Running does not help biking. Bugs lets see, he is warmed up and has a faster bike. Yea you would have a hard time keeping up. If you are in much better shape, you can keep up on a lesser bike. But if you are about equally trained, it's hard to keep up. It is kind of like a corvette vs a mini van. You have have the same engine, but if the gearing is different, it makes a huge difference. Also position on the bike is huge. If has curved handlebars or aerobars, and your bike has staight handlebars. he can bend lower on the bike and get less wind resistance. That can make a difference of two miles per hour or more. Clipless shoes and pedals will make another 2 miles per hour difference over someone pedaling in running shoes. Road bike vs mountain bike for me is about 3 miles per hour.
      Cash, she wasn't sure what kind of bike it was, looked liked something you'd ride with the kids, not a racing bike, but the bike HAD to have been a big factor. My legs had high candence, and I was pushing it hard, she was like come on already lets get going. Would have like to traded bikes for a mile. Inertia, I'd think you be prone to walk more in races in the future. One thing I learned at Fargo as even for a HM, I do better by walking through the water spots. The walking must give you some rest, and you can make up for it. Think the key is MAKING up for it, meaning when you start running again you got get out of there at a faster pace to catch up.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

I think there is a difference between walking water stops and a run/walk approach. If I walked water stops only I would still consider it a race I ran. 1 mile - feel pretty good! Thought for sure I would be sore as my hips are a little sore, but no pain no sore no nothing! Any thoughts on a long run next weekend for me? Half is the 14th. So this is the last weekend before the race so I am contemplating doing 6/7 or 10/11 (ranges not back-to-back days just). My week plan is 3,4,3,5,3. Of course given my last two weeks I'll probably trade some of that out for 1 miler's. So given that weekday plan What are your thoughts on my saturday long - go long (10-11) or go medium (6-7)?

Dave

My only thoughts are a belated WAY TO GO!! You're going to do great. I'd scale it back to the 6-8 range though. I'd rather have fresh legs than another 10-11 under my belt at this point. 6 for me today. Got lazy this weekend and didn't run Saturday and then shorter on Sunday that I'd hoped. I'll try and make it up this week with a few more 6-8 milers.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing on the fresh legs! And don't worry about getting lazy - every once in a while it's bound to happen! Tongue