Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/1 (Read 195 times)

Cashmason

No running for me yesterday or today.... major life situations getting in the way.... DD2 has gotten sick and only wants MAMA at all times.  Smile  Plus, we're all exhausted.  I subbed today and then taught lessons for 3 hours.  Tomorrow will be the same.  So, looks like this will small week of miles.

We'll see....

I am thinking this is because you are a great Mom.

Happy birthday, Bugs!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

I am thinking this is because you are a great Mom.

Thanks Cash!

I ran today- just 4 miles slowly but my legs felt great!!   I wonder if resting this week a little more than usual was a good thing.

Tomorrow, we will run a warmup, a 5 mile race and a long cooldown for a total of 16 miles.  Should be interesting to say the least.

theyapper

On the road again...

Bugs!  Happy Birthday!!

At the last minute, I decided to go for a 45 minute pace run.  Goal time was 9:20/mile average, but I got carried away and ran it way faster than that.  Ended up at a 8:57/mile average.  I've got to go slower on tomorrow's long run.

National is just 2 weeks away.  Looking forward to a great time!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

5 miles for me - yet another at recovery pace.

PT has me doing stretches before/after runs (adds "only" 25 minutes to my morning, because we talked and made some adjustments), and strength training for my leg at night.

theyapper

On the road again...

12 miles this morning.  Nice run, now I get to chill the rest of the day before a date tonight with my wife.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Now I'm brewing an English IPA.  I have about as much grain and water as I can fit into my mashtun.  And it'll have 11 oz of hops in it.  Yum.

Kimmie

Your running has been great Paul!

How are you feeling Lou?   Does it hurt when you run?  Such a bummer to deal with but know that you doing what you need to do in order to get better.  

I'm happy with my 16 miler this morning.  We ran a 3 mile warmup- then a local 5 mile race- and then 8 miles afterwards.   

My 5 mile race time was 40:37-  I'm happy with that... wasn't sure what I could do with my lack of training and weight gain.   The course was pretty hilly and I kept joking-  just have to times that by 5 and that's almost marathon distance.

So, all in all a good run. which I really needed after last weekend's poor run.

How's everyone else?  Erika is hanging out in sunny AZ, possibly.

How are you feeling Lou?   Does it hurt when you run?  Such a bummer to deal with but know that you doing what you need to do in order to get better.   

Well I have been deliberately running slowly so I don't aggravate it.  I don't plan to test it with some speed for a couple more weeks.  Last weekend I ran a 10 mile race, at recovery pace except for the last mile which I averaged 8:04 (the last little bit was kind of fast because I didn't want to let someone pass me).  I was sore the next day.

But other than that I've felt fine.

Last week I ran 0,5,0,5,0,5,10 and this week I'll run 0,5,3,5,3,5,15.  Next week I'll bump a bit, I think 0,7,4,7,4,5,20, all of these at recovery pace.  The following week I might try to run a bit faster if all goes well.

Thanks for asking.

Nice race, by the way!

Kimmie

Nice race, by the way!

That sounds like a good plan you have there, Lou.

thanks for the comment on the race.  I just looked at my splits.  We were supposed to run it at Marathon Pace, whatever that is.... but I knew the people I was with would speed up like crazy.  Because of the warmup we had to start in the back, so the first mile was a little slow... and a seriously big hill at mile 2.   My last mile was 7:38.   I was going to be happy with 45 minutes today.

Happy Camper

Looks like everyone is doing fine!  Kimmie I hope the kido's are feeling better.  I hope to be back posting here more.  Today I got to be race director.  We had our largest turnout yet (49)  for the 5k we do to benefit one of the local JRHS. It is a good time as one of  the school groups solicits sponsers and staffs the race.  We are able to offer T-Shirts, overall trophies, age group awards and drawing prizes.  It really comes off well with the support from sponsers and ample supply of student volunteers.  We contribute all the net proceeds to the school.  I ran my own race for the first time.  It is through a park and part of it takes place on a not to technical trail.  It's cool to race through park and trail with two bridge crossings over the creek.  I ran a pretty pedestrian time and I always seem to run slower over that finish gravel they groom the trail with.  It's not a rail trail but the terrain is mostly flat  with a rolling section over the first and last mile.   I hope it keeps growing and getting better.  This was our third running. 

On the workout front I get to step it up a bit.  I was screened for a University study and selected for the group.  Good news is I get supervised plyo's three times a week or two weight training secessions complete with a trainer at the University facilities.  Bad new is it's because of my maleness, geezer-jock exercise habits and that I'm osteopenia  that I qualify.  Not too suprising given the family medical history.  I guess it's better to know and try to improve it now than drift into osteoporosis later in life.  This will run for 1 year.  I will get follow up scans, blood tests and supplements. They are studying to see how a plyo routine compares with wieght bearing exercise in terms of effect on bone mineral density. 

I think this just might qualify as my longest post ever.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

evanflein

I think you're right, Bryan, about the longest post! And that's pretty cool about the race... that's a lot of services to offer for 49 runners. And good luck on that study! That sounds like a really good thing for you. I bet your running has helped offset some of your family tendencies, but good to get the extra input/help.

Cash, you're so sweet. Yes, I also think Kimmie is a really good mom... who needs a nearby treadmill so those family responsibilities don't affect your running so much!

Nice 12 miler, Paul. I hope date night was good.

Lou, I sure hope that PT schedule works. The extra stretching is good, but don't be a slave to the numbers (time). I think they assign arbitrary numbers like 20 and 15 minutes just because. Doing a few good easy/steady stretches can be a big help, but I wouldn't stress them to do right before the run, or after (although that's arguably the best time). Maybe some easy stretches after dinner/during tv time/before bed? Looking forward to whatever you brew.

And oh, Lou, we need to be sure to invite Kimme to whatever we're doing. You know what I mean.

Scottsdale was good, but very busy for me. Got early morning runs in, which is always a real change for me. But I managed to get all my miles in, and then some. Back late (midnight'ish) but both flights were on time and good. Very busy, productive conference so that was good. I also got all my scheduled runs in--- plus more--- during the week. Not much for cross training other than walking, but that's ok. 

I ran 10.7 miles today on surprisingly sproinky legs! Temps were 23 at the start, but quickly dropped to about 17-18 with a strong wind from the SW with sleety snow. Yuk. The first 3 miles were hard into the wind, then the next 5.5 were great! Cleared bikepaths with a tail wind... awesome. Lots of sub 8:20 miles. Then boom! Turnaround into the wind and snow... OMG! I stopped once at the top of a train overpass to turn tail to the wind and cover my face with my iced up gloves. Oh geez... yesterday I thought I'd sunburn my legs by the pool, today I thought I'd frostbite my face in the wind! What a difference 24 hours makes. But the overall run was good, and I managed to (mostly) make my goal of a marathon pace 10 mile run.

20 miles on tap for tomorrow, in conditions similar to today but with more snow expected tonight. Ick.

Lou, I sure hope that PT schedule works. The extra stretching is good, but don't be a slave to the numbers (time). I think they assign arbitrary numbers like 20 and 15 minutes just because. Doing a few good easy/steady stretches can be a big help, but I wouldn't stress them to do right before the run, or after (although that's arguably the best time). Maybe some easy stretches after dinner/during tv time/before bed? 

You're definitely back in stride, Erika.

Regarding the stretching, they were pretty specific which stretches to do, and how many, and that they should be done before and after the runs.  I added up the time it would take (30 seconds x 3 x 2 legs x 4 different stretches + shifting between adds up), and came up with 10 and 15 minutes (before the run, I'm limiting to 30 secs x 2).  This was after tossing a couple.

I'll do this for a while at least, as I want to give my leg the best shot at getting better.  It's not really so bad while I'm not running as many miles as normal and I'll get used to getting up a bit earlier.  It's too bad I'm getting squeezed from both sides, though, as recently I started having to go to an 8:30 meeting at work.

MTA: 15.2 miles, 2:19 -- a bit slow, but I'm still building back the endurance.

Cashmason

And oh, Lou, we need to be sure to invite Kimme to whatever we're doing. You know what I mean.

Kinky  !                   And Lucky Lou !
                              Cashmason

Bryan,

Do you have to abstain from running and other forms of exercise while you do the study?